Linked Events

• Jim at Dragon*Con in Atlanta: August 30, 2013 - September 02, 2013

Author Topic: Jim at Dragon*Con in Atlanta - Aug 30 to Sept 2, 2013  (Read 10779 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Jim at Dragon*Con in Atlanta - Aug 30 to Sept 2, 2013
« on: May 19, 2013, 06:10:57 AM »
Jim will be a guest at Dragon*Con
Atlanta, GA
August 30 - September 2, 2013
http://www.dragoncon.org/

Offline RandalBrown

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Jim at Dragon*Con in Atlanta - Aug 30 to Sept 2, 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 01:45:50 AM »
A few years ago I asked for Mr. Butcher to come to Dragon-con and then contacted Dragon-con with the information on how to get him. Then the following year he was there. I got to where he was an hour early and was to late. I was told the line was to long already, so I left with my dreams crushed. I tried to make it to a signing in Atlanta but was in the hospital at the time. I try to keep a check on his signings hoping to get one close enough. Then I learn he will be at Dragon-con this year and I plan on getting to where he will be signing around 3 hours early. I just have one question is there a limit on how many books he will sign? My hotel is over a mile away and i don't want to lug all of these books around if I can't get them signed. I know some people would say that is not far, but it is for a one legged man.:) Does Mr. Butcher accept gifts? If so does he have a preference of adult beverage?

Offline Toe-mas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 01:02:57 PM »
A few years ago I asked for Mr. Butcher to come to Dragon-con and then contacted Dragon-con with the information on how to get him. Then the following year he was there. I got to where he was an hour early and was to late. I was told the line was to long already, so I left with my dreams crushed. I tried to make it to a signing in Atlanta but was in the hospital at the time. I try to keep a check on his signings hoping to get one close enough. Then I learn he will be at Dragon-con this year and I plan on getting to where he will be signing around 3 hours early.
Three hours early is a good idea. I showed up for the DC Signing for Ghost Story about two hours early and might not have gotten tickets if it wasn't for some good hearted Forumites who gave me their extra tickets.  The line was already out the store, down the hall, and out into the parking lot of the mall. 

My word of advice when you get to the CON, look for someone dressed up as Dresden and HANG ON!   :P

I just have one question is there a limit on how many books he will sign? My hotel is over a mile away and i don't want to lug all of these books around if I can't get them signed. I know some people would say that is not far, but it is for a one legged man.:)
The traditional limit is three items.  It's considered bad form to bring more than that and some venue's have firm restrictions that are even lower.

Does Mr. Butcher accept gifts? If so does he have a preference of adult beverage?
Jim, like several others on the forum, has stated that he doesn't usually drink any adult beverages.  Nothing against other people drinking, just personal choice.  His usual beverage was Coca-Cola, then Diet Coke, but now... I don't know.

Good luck at DRAGON-CON, wish I could go...

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 03:45:05 PM »
A few years ago I asked for Mr. Butcher to come to Dragon-con and then contacted Dragon-con with the information on how to get him. Then the following year he was there. I got to where he was an hour early and was to late. I was told the line was to long already, so I left with my dreams crushed. I tried to make it to a signing in Atlanta but was in the hospital at the time. I try to keep a check on his signings hoping to get one close enough. Then I learn he will be at Dragon-con this year and I plan on getting to where he will be signing around 3 hours early. I just have one question is there a limit on how many books he will sign? My hotel is over a mile away and i don't want to lug all of these books around if I can't get them signed. I know some people would say that is not far, but it is for a one legged man.:) Does Mr. Butcher accept gifts? If so does he have a preference of adult beverage?

Sorry you missed out before!

Jim's usual policy is to sign three books per person per trip through the line.  At most signings, if folks have more than three books, they can go back through the line for another three, and lather, rinse, repeat.  However, as there are so many folks at Dragon*Con that many can't get through the line even once, there can be no second helpings. 

Of course, when you see Jim, you're welcome to ask if he'd be willing to sign your remaining books afterward.  This isn't something I'd encourage, as Jim has to stop signing books sometime, and cons usually keep guests pretty busy.  He may have another commitment afterward that prevents him from lingering, and if he does have time to linger, he may prefer to prioritize fans who haven't gotten anything signed yet.  There's no guarantee if he'll say yes.  You'll have to decide whether the effort of carrying all those books a mile and back is worth the risk.

As for "gifts," Jim doesn't drink alcohol, but he digs Mexican Coke--the kind with real sugar, rather than high fructose corn syrup.  Coke keeps him ambulatory at cons! 

Also, side note: fans giving gifts should be aware that Jim likes to travel light, usually with one carry-on bag.  If the gift isn't something he can easily travel with, you might want to offer to ship it to him, so he doesn't have to worry about getting your awesomeness home.

Offline RandalBrown

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 01:42:06 AM »
Sorry you missed out before!

Jim's usual policy is to sign three books per person per trip through the line.  At most signings, if folks have more than three books, they can go back through the line for another three, and lather, rinse, repeat.  However, as there are so many folks at Dragon*Con that many can't get through the line even once, there can be no second helpings. 

Of course, when you see Jim, you're welcome to ask if he'd be willing to sign your remaining books afterward.  This isn't something I'd encourage, as Jim has to stop signing books sometime, and cons usually keep guests pretty busy.  He may have another commitment afterward that prevents him from lingering, and if he does have time to linger, he may prefer to prioritize fans who haven't gotten anything signed yet.  There's no guarantee if he'll say yes.  You'll have to decide whether the effort of carrying all those books a mile and back is worth the risk.

As for "gifts," Jim doesn't drink alcohol, but he digs Mexican Coke--the kind with real sugar, rather than high fructose corn syrup.  Coke keeps him ambulatory at cons! 

Also, side note: fans giving gifts should be aware that Jim likes to travel light, usually with one carry-on bag.  If the gift isn't something he can easily travel with, you might want to offer to ship it to him, so he doesn't have to worry about getting your awesomeness home.
Ok. Thank you. I will take what I can get. These 3 books will be cherished. This will probably be the only chance I will get to see him. It seems that Atlanta is as close as he comes to me and that's over 100 miles away. I want to thank you for your time in responding to me.

Offline Toe-mas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 10:04:25 PM »
Ok. Thank you. I will take what I can get. These 3 books will be cherished. This will probably be the only chance I will get to see him. It seems that Atlanta is as close as he comes to me and that's over 100 miles away. I want to thank you for your time in responding to me.

No problem, and before I forget, Welcome to the board!

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 05:31:56 PM »

I have answered this question a few times in the past and this is the first time I've heard this option.  Pretty cool, I'll keep it in mind if I run into the question again, or if I want to gift him with something particularly interesting/cool.

*scratches chin*

Do you think he would actually wield a hand carved staff at his LARPS?
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 06:10:36 AM »
Do you think he would actually wield a hand carved staff at his LARPS?

Illegal, unfortunately.  All weapons must be boffer-style. 

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 04:17:45 PM »
Illegal, unfortunately.  All weapons must be boffer-style.

What if it was considered souly a casting implement?  I know Harry occasionally brains baddies with his staff but...
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 02:59:24 AM »
Heh last time I went to Dragoncon all his events were just crazy. I got Changes signed by putting it at Jim's seat at a panel, along with the bribe of a Starburst!  ;) I'd love to get to ask him a few more questions, but I'm fairly sure I'd gnaw all my own limbs off slowly rather than deal with the crowds at Dragoncon again - particularly given the popularity of anything Jim spoke at. It was impressive how quickly the con realized Jim needed much bigger rooms though! And he was very nice, and Priscille was awesome at coordinating extra signings. But the crowds were just beyond insane.
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 04:06:25 AM »
Heh last time I went to Dragoncon all his events were just crazy. I got Changes signed by putting it at Jim's seat at a panel, along with the bribe of a Starburst!  ;) I'd love to get to ask him a few more questions, but I'm fairly sure I'd gnaw all my own limbs off slowly rather than deal with the crowds at Dragoncon again - particularly given the popularity of anything Jim spoke at. It was impressive how quickly the con realized Jim needed much bigger rooms though! And he was very nice, and Priscille was awesome at coordinating extra signings. But the crowds were just beyond insane.

I'd gladly take the credit, but I wasn't at that DragonCon. :D  I believe that may have been Pamela?

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 01:22:12 PM »
I'd gladly take the credit, but I wasn't at that DragonCon. :D  I believe that may have been Pamela?

You were't there, but Jim was passing you word of impromptu signings which you passed along. (Unfortunately my internet access was pretty limited there so I didn't hear in time but oh well!)
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 01:48:58 PM »
Anyone going to this one who gets to meet the Jim-wrangling Pam would be well advised to hug her to within an inch of her life. She's beyond awesomesauce.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline whingnut

• Conversationalist
  • @RobJDurand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 04:08:10 PM »
Anyone going to this one who gets to meet the Jim-wrangling Pam would be well advised to hug her to within an inch of her life. She's beyond awesomesauce.

^^ THAT! ^^

One of the best people I know! Just tell her Shecky and I sent you or you might (read WILL) get slugged!  ;D
"Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days

Offline RandalBrown

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 01:47:10 AM »
I have noticed in the past some Authors (although in my opinion not as good as Mr. Butcher) have had booths in the dealer hall where they sold their books and games and would autograph them for you. Has Mr. Butcher ever thought of doing this?