Author Topic: Invitation to pass a threshold - explicit or implicit?  (Read 5003 times)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Invitation to pass a threshold - explicit or implicit?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 05:56:25 PM »
Largely, I agree.  Depending on the case, I might also impose the threshold as armour against the attempt to move someone strongly affected by thresholds (but not so strongly as a ghost or being of pure spirit).
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Troy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 07:36:38 PM »
In Summer Knight, Harry doesn't enter Murphy's house until he is explicitly invited and even then he feels the tug as he enters, leaving some of his power at the door. It makes him uncomfortable.

In all the iterations of this concept it seems like the person has to express an actual invite, even if it's just causal conversation. It's like the vampire shows up at your door and you don't know he's a vampire. You chit-chat in the doorway for a bit before realizing your manners have slipped and blurt out, "Come on in. I'll make some coffee." Stuff like that.

I get suspicious of people who say things like: "Aren't you going to invite me in?" or "If we can go inside, I can tell/show you more..." Things like that. It's like what are you getting at? Why do you want to come inside?

In mundane areas... it's like police can't enter your home without warrant, but if you invite them in, it's the same as if they had warrant, you know?

Also, the permission to enter can be implied if the supernatural beastie says, "Can I come in?" And you simply nod or step aside to grant them entry. That's like an implied explicitness (an oxymoron, I know!), but you know what I mean? Had the supernatural not asked, then the context would be different and it would not be an invitation. Like, I stand aside and the beastie just stands there staring at me until I say, "Well? Aren't you going to come in?" And then, you see, it becomes and invite.
Ragnarok:NYC
Come play a game in the Dresdenverse with us!
Find us on Skype! Contact LongLostTroy

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 07:40:44 PM »
Also, the permission to enter can be implied if the supernatural beastie says, "Can I come in?" And you simply nod or step aside to grant them entry. That's like an implied explicitness (an oxymoron, I know!), but you know what I mean? Had the supernatural not asked, then the context would be different and it would not be an invitation.

As I mentioned, this is actually something that happens in the novels for the express purpose of NOT 'deactivating' the threshold for that individual.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Troy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 07:50:17 PM »
As I mentioned, this is actually something that happens in the novels for the express purpose of NOT 'deactivating' the threshold for that individual.

Maybe that's what happens to Harry in Summer Knight, then... because Murphy is a bit frazzled from her encounter with Kravos and stuff in the previous story. Maybe he asks to come in and she just meekly nods and that's why he feels his power leave him at the door...

Awesome. Thanks for pointing that out. I must not have read too deeply into your original reply. Sorry about that.

Offline OwleIsohos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 07:52:03 PM »

In that instance, though, doesn't the homeowner say something to the effect of "I'm not inviting you in" before stepping aside?  Making it explicitly clear that no invitation has been issued?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 08:45:20 PM »
In one instance, I believe that is the case, but I do not believe that all such instances in the novels (and there are several) have such a statement.
Slough

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 09:15:31 PM »
I also assume you can revoke invitations.  I invited you in, but now you're not welcome.

Although, I don't think this could be used as a trap...

Offline Troy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 09:32:43 PM »
On Sci-Fi Channel's Being Human they use the uninvitation to great affect. :)

Offline DMS

• Participant
  • Subtle AND quick to anger.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2013, 01:30:05 AM »
See also: Buffy.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, 01:35:25 AM »
See also: Buffy.

Yeah, this is how I saw thresholds...that being couldn't physically pass them without an invite.  Invites had to be revoked...but I don't remember what would happen if you revoked one while they were within the threshold.  I think you were pretty much screwed once they got in.

Offline vonpenguin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2013, 06:15:30 AM »
The thing to remember is that in Dresden the reason that vamps and such can't cross thresholds isn't that they are physically incapable it's that without an invite they leave behind a huge chunk of their power, and most of their power is already tied up in keeping them ambulatory/corporeal/on this plain of existence and they wouldn't be able to function once they did. 

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2013, 08:17:17 AM »
Yeah, the closer a creature is to human, the less of itself gets left behind. Demons, ghosts and spirits, with no mortal shell, simply can't get through a threshold. Vampires, Denarians, and wizards can, but they leave their power at the door.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2013, 02:39:44 PM »
Vampires [...] can, but they leave their power at the door.
Except BCVs, who have large amounts of power tied up in animating a corpse.  And maybe RCVs, who are properly demons of the near Nevernever.
Slough

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2013, 02:56:33 PM »
That's a point.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2013, 07:26:37 AM »
(click to show/hide)