Author Topic: Game-Breaking Powers To Worry About?  (Read 7414 times)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Game-Breaking Powers To Worry About?
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2013, 10:15:17 PM »
When I read that spell, I thought it should probably be more like a Thaumaturgy spell not unlike Victor Sells Exploding Heart trick.

The spell from the novels that it was meant to emulate was clearly not a thaumaturgic ritual.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline PatchR

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2013, 10:25:37 PM »
And, the way I see it, if you're "adjudicating it like a grapple" then if someone beats the power of the roll, they throw the goop off their face.
Administrator of Ragnorak NYC

Plays: Darius Caffrey

Offline ReaderAt2046

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2013, 01:30:01 AM »

Two thoughts:

1: I thought there was a rule that the bonus from a Rebate power can't be more than one less than the cost of what it's tied to. So a Cold-iron catch could be worth up to +4 by the rules (very widely known and easily accessed), but if you've only got Inhuman toughness (-2), you only get +1 for the Catch.

2: Orbius looks much less OP when you note that it's an 8-shift spell, so your average player will have to eat at least 4 mental stress just to call that much power, and probably a few more shifts of backlash to make it go off straight. Also, for comparison an 8-shift straight attack will completely bypass the entire stress track of anything without at least Supernatural Toughness (or Inhuman Toughness and Hulking Form).

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2013, 04:48:24 AM »
Orbius talk. Lovely.

Probably shouldn't have mentioned it.

Well, here's a relevant link.

1: I thought there was a rule that the bonus from a Rebate power can't be more than one less than the cost of what it's tied to. So a Cold-iron catch could be worth up to +4 by the rules (very widely known and easily accessed), but if you've only got Inhuman toughness (-2), you only get +1 for the Catch.

There is such a rule.

Cold Iron is a +3 Catch in OW, though. Do not ask me why because I do not know.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 12:59:55 AM »
Probably has something to do with the fact that, while everyone with any meaningful knowledge of the supernatural knows that Fae are vulnerable to Cold Iron, they might not immediately know that the Billy Goats Gruff are Fae.  Harry had to look it up, and get Bob's help (Bob being Harry's version of an extensive arcane library), and Harry is rather more than minimally familiar with the supernatural.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2013, 06:29:34 AM »
Also, as Harry points out, most people assume "cold iron" is either pure iron or iron that's been prepared a certain way. They don't realise that a simple stainless steel kitchen knife can do the trick. It's less to do with the Catch being hard to find and more to do with people not knowing how easy it is to find.

Offline Wolfhound

• Participant
  • Trí Dhia a mhaireann an mhuintir go deo
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Dallas (DFRPG)
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2013, 12:48:29 AM »
This thread is just great
Dresden Files: Dallas (DFRPG)  http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/dfd
#6 Top Campaign on Obsidian Portal, 200+ fans
2011 December Campaign of the Month (Campaign of the Year runner-up)
Won't y'all come on by and join the fun?

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2013, 11:53:09 PM »
I wouldn't expect trouble if he uses it for Powers.

Yeah, that doesn't bother me so much because you have to pay full refresh cost for each power. Plus it keeps the game interesting.

What worries me is the possibility that he could pick up a big skill from a powerful NPC and then keep it forever. One lucky opportunity lets you be overpowered indefinitely.

Mimicking the Merlin's Discipline makes using Refinement to boost your control seem weak. Mimicking Shiro's Weapons is way better than True Aim. And so on.

I've solved that problem by forcing him to keep to the skill cap. He can only take skills up to Superb, with higher ones being lowered to Superb when he takes them. It's mostly for balance issues (as you said), but I've fluffed it as his body's way of minimising the dangers associated with stealing powers. I'm just waiting for the day he tries to take Sponsored Magic from something.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2013, 02:28:38 AM »
Subjecting mimicked skills to the cap certainly helps. Don't think it completely fixes the issue, but it certainly helps.