Author Topic: Statting Up Worm Characters  (Read 61556 times)

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Statting Up Worm Characters
« Reply #315 on: November 20, 2013, 12:36:20 AM »
Also, I just noticed this line from the end. And I cracked up.

"...Valkyrie standing off to the side, trying to look far less interested than she was as a young man tried on a white bodysuit."

(click to show/hide)
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #316 on: November 20, 2013, 12:47:46 AM »
I'm not too exciting about how it ended.  It kind of puttered out.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 20, 2013, 05:07:01 AM »
Anyway, Sancta? Could you ask wildbow what a power has to be to rate different numbers on the scale in each category? Tattletale seemed to imply there was an objective measure.

Sure.

Also, I just noticed this line from the end. And I cracked up.

"...Valkyrie standing off to the side, trying to look far less interested than she was as a young man tried on a white bodysuit."

I thought that was funny too.

Author commentary indicates that the young man was probably a resurrected Clockblocker.

I'm not too exciting about how it ended.  It kind of puttered out.

Me neither, but we seem to be outvoted. It looks like a strong majority of readers like the ending.

Offline Stirge

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 22, 2013, 11:33:10 PM »
Hey there, would love your input on this thread.  I tried to make a power that would help us convert some Worm characters like Clockblocker as well as help me stat some of NPCs for my Worm PBP game.

"Affliction":
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,39783.0.html

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 04, 2013, 06:18:22 AM »
This stat block came to me with a little thought, so I thought "What the hell?" and decided to preset you with a (very probably severely lowballed) Taylor as of when Jack woke up:

(click to show/hide)

Precognition comes from these lines:

Quote from: Scarab 25.6
I’d seen the shift coming, and the bugs on the faces of the buildings let me know that the attack was coming a fraction of a second in advance.
I’d only dodged as much as I had by virtue of the ability to sense where the bugs that clung to the blades were moving, and enough luck to be able to move into a space that escaped the various thrusts.

Which to me describe textbook Precognition. The Lore Stunt is because she's been reading up. The Unfettered custom stunt is because...you've met her.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline dpara

• Conversationalist
  • clear and concise reasoning. sharkslap!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 04, 2013, 10:24:26 AM »
This stat block came to me with a little thought, so I thought "What the hell?" and decided to preset you with a (very probably severely lowballed) Taylor as of when Jack woke up:

(click to show/hide)

Precognition comes from these lines:

Which to me describe textbook Precognition. The Lore Stunt is because she's been reading up. The Unfettered custom stunt is because...you've met her.

Nice though I'd put the skills a bit different, aka buff Investigation (she can listen and follow everyone) and Empathy (pretty much perfect perception of muscle tone) to the cost of Athletics (superb Athletics makes me think of a climber hanging with two fingers on a cliff face) and Scholarship (I think she only had really time to study during her prison sentence).
SH[Mavra---- Molly- Lash+ Elaine+ Murphy++]

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 05, 2013, 01:46:39 AM »
You know, it's become clear that you and I have very different ideas of what a given Refresh level means. I think Taylor could work with 13 Refresh and 40 skill points, you think 21 Refresh and 50 skill points is lowballing it.

I wonder why.

Offline dpara

• Conversationalist
  • clear and concise reasoning. sharkslap!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 05, 2013, 02:43:01 PM »
You know, it's become clear that you and I have very different ideas of what a given Refresh level means. I think Taylor could work with 13 Refresh and 40 skill points, you think 21 Refresh and 50 skill points is lowballing it.

I wonder why.
I think it depends strongly if one counts everything Taylor's power can augment as base skills.
With her power one can easily advocate significant buffs on Alertness, Intimidation, Presence, Craftsmanship, Empathy, Stealth, Deceit, Rapport (potentially Scholarship if one can count braille reading) (and later in the game even on Weapons/Guns).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:45:51 PM by dpara »
SH[Mavra---- Molly- Lash+ Elaine+ Murphy++]

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 05, 2013, 03:33:26 PM »

I wonder why.

This is when she takes on Jack the second time, not when she first becomes Weaver (which is what I assume you wrote up with Scuba Diving). She's probably Jack's equal at that point, as explicitly stated by Golem. The reason I'm thinking I may be lowballing is the Endbringer Fights. The several of them.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 05, 2013, 11:57:15 PM »
She doesn't do much in those Endbringer fights that indicates really high stats, though. At least as far as I know.

The Snorkelling/Scuba Diving writeup was meant to cover all of her time as Weaver. She might get stronger over the years, but not so much that I thought new stats were needed.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 06, 2013, 02:06:55 AM »
She doesn't do much in those Endbringer fights that indicates really high stats, though. At least as far as I know.

Yes but Milestones. Especially the first Khonsu and the first Tohu/Bohu fight. And as I pointed out, the latter /clearly/ demonstrates Precognition.

The Snorkelling/Scuba Diving writeup was meant to cover all of her time as Weaver. She might get stronger over the years, but not so much that I thought new stats were needed.

I disagree. Given that several points are made about her being Jack's equal, I think she probably was by that time. And Endbringer fights tend to Milestones. Minor at minimum, mostly Significantt, with definite Major on quite a few occasions(the Brockton Bay and the New Delhi fights, as well as the first Khonsu and T/B fight).
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 06, 2013, 07:37:13 AM »
Yes but Milestones. Especially the first Khonsu and the first Tohu/Bohu fight.

And Endbringer fights tend to Milestones. Minor at minimum, mostly Significantt, with definite Major on quite a few occasions(the Brockton Bay and the New Delhi fights, as well as the first Khonsu and T/B fight).

Milestones don't quite work that way. They happen at the end of sessions, scenarios, and plotlines. Brockton Bay, New Delhi, and Khonsu #1 are all very milestone-ish, the others aren't really.

But Taylor is not a DFRPG character. She doesn't advance milestone-style. So the point is moot.

And as I pointed out, the latter /clearly/ demonstrates Precognition.

That passage just demonstrates good awareness and dodging skills. Precognition isn't necessary.

It's not inappropriate either, but her character works just fine without it.

Pretty much all characters do. It's the kind of power that's easily represented by narrating your actions differently.

I disagree. Given that several points are made about her being Jack's equal, I think she probably was by that time.

Maybe she was. But that doesn't mean she has the same amount of skills and Refresh. Those concepts don't exist in the Wormverse.

Plus, Jack could be Snorkelling. I didn't write him that way, but I certainly could have. He'd just need an easy way to take Sponsor Debt.

Honestly, I don't think this difference in opinion is about Taylor specifically. You seem to stat everyone a bit higher than I do. And I'm not saying that's bad, I'm just saying it's a thing.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 06, 2013, 03:34:32 PM »
Milestones don't quite work that way. They happen at the end of sessions, scenarios, and plotlines. Brockton Bay, New Delhi, and Khonsu #1 are all very milestone-ish, the others aren't really.

But Taylor is not a DFRPG character. She doesn't advance milestone-style. So the point is moot.

Technically, Harry isn't either. We still model it that way.

That passage just demonstrates good awareness and dodging skills. Precognition isn't necessary.

It's not inappropriate either, but her character works just fine without it.

Pretty much all characters do. It's the kind of power that's easily represented by narrating your actions differently.

The passage explicitly describes her dodging before the attack. We don't get that with many others.

Maybe she was. But that doesn't mean she has the same amount of skills and Refresh. Those concepts don't exist in the Wormverse.

They don't in Dresdenverse, either.

Plus, Jack could be Snorkelling. I didn't write him that way, but I certainly could have. He'd just need an easy way to take Sponsor Debt.

Jack is too skill heavy to be Snorkeling. Plus, he isn't shown to take many compels, which he'd need to if he was taking Sponsor Debt.

Honestly, I don't think this difference in opinion is about Taylor specifically. You seem to stat everyone a bit higher than I do. And I'm not saying that's bad, I'm just saying it's a thing.

That's...fair. But I'm wondering who else you're basing this off of. The only other person I can think of whom I've statted up is Dinah, and you have no post for her.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 07, 2013, 07:37:19 AM »
Technically, Harry isn't either. We still model it that way.

They don't in Dresdenverse, either.

Well, yeah. You don't say Harry has to have higher stats in Cold Days than in Turn Coat because he went through a bunch of Milestones. You say it because he's demonstrably more powerful.

Pre-timeskip Taylor and post-timeskip Taylor are not terribly different in power. But Leviathan-fight Taylor is much weaker than Behemoth-fight Taylor. It's not about milestones, it's about what the character in question does onscreen.

The passage explicitly describes her dodging before the attack. We don't get that with many others.

True, but that's just good dodging practice in general. I try to do the same when I spar, with limited success.

Jack is too skill heavy to be Snorkeling. Plus, he isn't shown to take many compels, which he'd need to if he was taking Sponsor Debt.

The skills would be tricky but I think I could wrangle something with stunts. As for Compels, it's debatable? Is it a Compel when Jack lets Theo live for two years? Is it a Compel when he agrees to play a ridiculous game with the Brockton Bay capes? I think you could model those actions that way.

That's...fair. But I'm wondering who else you're basing this off of. The only other person I can think of whom I've statted up is Dinah, and you have no post for her.

I've seen your characters on the PbP forum, and we've talked a lot. I think I have a decent idea of your DFRPG-related habits.

If you want specific examples, we briefly discussed the power levels for Panacea and the Undersiders in the Worm PbP thread. Your assessments were significantly above mine.

So yeah. It's an unscientific assessment based on personal familiarity.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #329 on: December 07, 2013, 10:21:19 AM »
This is when she takes on Jack the second time, not when she first becomes Weaver (which is what I assume you wrote up with Scuba Diving). She's probably Jack's equal at that point, as explicitly stated by Golem. The reason I'm thinking I may be lowballing is the Endbringer Fights. The several of them.

I don't remember anyone saying she was jack's equal.  Was it while she and golem were sparring?

I remember golem saying their powers were similar.  Jack was supposed to have a power he wasn't aware of.  She manipulated/surrouned herself with insects and he did the same with capes.
(click to show/hide)