Author Topic: Statting Up Worm Characters  (Read 61847 times)

Magicpockets

Re: Statting Up Worm Characters
« Reply #300 on: November 11, 2013, 10:40:13 AM »
I haven't even started yet. I've heard about Worm after I traveled to China, and am really curious about it.

Any copying would be much appreciated as long as the original Author doesn't mind.

Offline Stirge

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 11, 2013, 08:28:06 PM »
Slightly off-topic but I used Skilled Projection for a villain in my IRL game recently. It went over fantastically, thanks for converting it over :-).  A lot of these custom powers and character conversions are getting lost in the thread (and it's extra hard to search characters with the spoiler tags). Has anyone considered a google doc or similar to add these all to?

You guys are right about Grant Powers needing more of a limit.  The following version has a limit to the amount of powers you can share, Refresh-wise:

Grant Powers [-2]: Touching a person allows you to grant them some or all of your powers for the scene, worth up to 4 Refresh total.  If they are unwilling, you must succeed a Fists vs. their Athletics to affect them. Only one person can benefit from a particular one of your powers at a time (see below).
    [+2]: Power Genie: Only someone else can benefit from some of your powers, not yourself.  When you select this, you must declare which powers it effects.
    [-1]: Share Powers: An additional person can benefit from the same sharing of power.  This may be taken multiple times, using the progression table*.
    [-1]: Extended Duration: At the cost of a Fate Point, Grant Powers lasts for an entire session.  At anytime you can use an action to ‘rescind’ the powers you’ve granted.
    [-1]: You can grant an additional 2 Refresh worth of powers at a time. This may be taken multiple times.

(*I don't think table quite exists, but it would look like the Time Progression people.  A minute = a person, a couple minutes = 5 people, 15 minutes = 15 people, etc...)

As for the broken combinations of powers, there's many of those already in the DFRPG that is broken (Not the worst offender, but Supernatural Toughness is taken for [-1] too many times by PC's IMO).  I think a healthy character approval process by the GM needs to be observed in every game to prevent abuse.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:35:42 PM by Stirge »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 11, 2013, 11:01:50 PM »
I haven't even started yet. I've heard about Worm after I traveled to China, and am really curious about it.

Any copying would be much appreciated as long as the original Author doesn't mind.

Sent you a PM with Gestation 1.1, the first chapter.

It's not the most practical method, but Wildbow would rather I not put it up publicly.

If you could give me your email address, it would be a whole lot easier for me to send you the story.

Slightly off-topic but I used Skilled Projection for a villain in my IRL game recently. It went over fantastically, thanks for converting it over :-).  A lot of these custom powers and character conversions are getting lost in the thread (and it's extra hard to search characters with the spoiler tags). Has anyone considered a google doc or similar to add these all to?

Glad it worked for you.

We already have a big list with just about every custom Power around, but these aren't on it because it's been a while since the last update. Eventually I'll update the list (and the wiki) to include these (and some other new-ish stuff).

You guys are right about Grant Powers needing more of a limit.  The following version has a limit to the amount of powers you can share, Refresh-wise:

Grant Powers [-2]: Touching a person allows you to grant them some or all of your powers for the scene, worth up to 4 Refresh total.  If they are unwilling, you must succeed a Fists vs. their Athletics to affect them. Only one person can benefit from a particular one of your powers at a time (see below).
    [+2]: Power Genie: Only someone else can benefit from some of your powers, not yourself.  When you select this, you must declare which powers it effects.
    [-1]: Share Powers: An additional person can benefit from the same sharing of power.  This may be taken multiple times, using the progression table*.
    [-1]: Extended Duration: At the cost of a Fate Point, Grant Powers lasts for an entire session.  At anytime you can use an action to ‘rescind’ the powers you’ve granted.
    [-1]: You can grant an additional 2 Refresh worth of powers at a time. This may be taken multiple times.

(*I don't think table quite exists, but it would look like the Time Progression people.  A minute = a person, a couple minutes = 5 people, 15 minutes = 15 people, etc...)

Much better.

I'd be willing to give it a try as-is, though I'd expect some problems to come up. It still looks a bit abusable.

Who spends the Fate Point for Extended Duration?

As for the broken combinations of powers, there's many of those already in the DFRPG that is broken (Not the worst offender, but Supernatural Toughness is taken for [-1] too many times by PC's IMO).  I think a healthy character approval process by the GM needs to be observed in every game to prevent abuse.

DFRPG isn't perfectly balanced but it's better than most of the games I've looked at. No sense in making it worse.

As for Supernatural Toughness, if you use Limitation instead of The Catch you won't have that problem.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #303 on: November 12, 2013, 02:09:20 PM »
Contessa:

What about using zcthu3's  Kerberos Club Skill Power Tiers.

Give her the max dice replacement except she'd get it for any skill she put her mind to.  Kind of like a modular ability restricted to this power with a skill shuffle based on the particular task she's trying to accomplish.

Make it a full round action because she needs time for the precog to kick in for the task - assign the appropriate number of refresh for each skill you need and shuffle the skills so that those are the apex ones. 

Now she's rolling +7 +1df + 3d6  (or whatever he'd suggested the power do).  Her skills would be +9 to +26 for any given skill roll with an average of 17.5

Give her Godlike and she's rolling her skill +4d6.  a minimum of +4 to whatever she's putting her mind towards.

Godlike would be, what? -12 refresh?  she'd need it for a minimum of at least 3 skills: -36.
-2 Modular abilities
-4 full for a full skill shuffle.

total: -42

In one exchange she could have 3 skills at her highest tier attached to this power.

She'd need a limitation since it doesn't work within any power that suppresses precog abilities.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 10:17:15 PM by Taran »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 15, 2013, 04:19:00 AM »
Something like that would probably work.

But I'd rather not use Custom Powers if I don't have to. Particularly not probably-broken Custom Powers like those ones.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #305 on: November 15, 2013, 01:24:08 PM »
Heh.  Contessa's broken. That's why I thought of it :)

Offline Stirge

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 15, 2013, 05:56:59 PM »
Hey there, I'm starting a Worm/DFRPG game set in St. Louis.  I'm wanting to run a moderate refresh game (10 Refresh/25 Skill Points), with younger characters along the lines of the Undersiders/Brockton Bay Wards at the start of the story.

I wanted to put a post here because y'all would be the most interested.  The thread is awaiting approval (I didn't realize that was a thing here!) but will eventually be found at:
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,39713.0.html

Until then, if you want to read what I'm planning to help with character ideas:
(click to show/hide)

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 19, 2013, 05:28:43 AM »
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(click to show/hide)
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 19, 2013, 05:42:33 AM »
Actually, I'm not too happy with this ending. It feels kind of cheap.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 19, 2013, 06:17:36 AM »
Actually, I'm not too happy with this ending. It feels kind of cheap.

I disagree. It gives a nice feeling of hope after the crap wildbow put us through. It gives a nice message of "yes, the world may be in the crapper, but that doesn't mean that doesn't mean there isn't good."

Plus Hick called it:

(click to show/hide)
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 19, 2013, 06:22:12 AM »
I don't think that message was needed, though. Isn't it obvious that there's good in the world?

PS: I never found the two-bullet thing terribly convincing. It's not like she's got any real reason to conserve ammunition.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 19, 2013, 06:27:59 AM »
I don't think that message was needed, though. Isn't it obvious that there's good in the world?

But who deserves a happy ending more than the person who made it possible for /everyone else/?

PS: I never found the two-bullet thing terribly convincing. It's not like she's got any real reason to conserve ammunition.

No. But she has a power that would let her kablam her in one shot. Why waste?
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 19, 2013, 06:30:59 AM »
I don't much care what she deserved, I just don't think this makes for a good ending. Also I only sort of believe in the concept of deserving.

And Contessa's power doesn't minimize things like bullet expenditure unless she specifically asks it to, as far as I know. If she just asks for a path to killing Taylor, she might be told to use one bullet or two or a thrown rock or any number of other things.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 19, 2013, 10:45:05 PM »
Anyway, Sancta? Could you ask wildbow what a power has to be to rate different numbers on the scale in each category? Tattletale seemed to imply there was an objective measure.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 19, 2013, 10:59:50 PM »
I am feeling hella smug because i'm one of the people who

(click to show/hide)

It wasn't what I was expecting, but I liked it.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.