Author Topic: Statting Up Worm Characters  (Read 61586 times)

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Statting Up Worm Characters
« Reply #270 on: November 01, 2013, 03:30:21 PM »
I'm talking stat wise. Not toe to toeing.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 01, 2013, 05:21:26 PM »
She ran away from the fight, conceding it because she couldn't fight against Mantellum and win.

Well, maybe.

Concessions are a specific mechanical thing. Though running away often uses that mechanic, it doesn't necessarily have to.

I don't think Limitation would cover it, since this is essentially an offensive blocking action by another character.

Eh. It may have been an offensive block once, but Eden's dead. The blind spots have a become a part of Contessa now.

Given that she was basically the one running the show, since Cauldron was following her plan, I think I'd read that as her allowing Manton to escape rather than her being unable to subdue/kill him. After all, her power isn't something as concrete as projections; it's an I Win button that applies to all but a few beings in the multiverse.

Cauldron wanted to use Manton and Shatterbird against the Endbringers. If Contessa was capable, she almost certainly would have kidnapped those two.

And given that Cauldron's plans fall apart with depressing regularity even when there are no inhuman beings involved, it's clear that her winning-ness has limits.

Fantastic Fists/Athletics is Usain Bolt/Muhammed Ali level of skill, which isn't how Contessa wins. The one occasion we see her go up against someone she can't use her power against, she runs. That says to me that when she's bereft of her power she's just as human as the rest of us. Going further than that, Epic Conviction and Scholarship should really only apply when she has her power.

A power like Mantellum's should affect her skills as well as her Powers. Unfortunately that'd be a bugger to stat up, but that's normal, since Worm isn't a DFRPG game.

Personally, I'd just have her power give a static bonus instead of putting her base stats so high (+2 to mental skills, +2 to social, +1 to physical. If I was going to stat her, that is).

Powers like that are generally not a good idea. They're boring and very hard to balance right.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 01, 2013, 06:24:29 PM »
Revised Taylor and the Siberian.

Pretty happy with the Siberian rewrite, it fixed a bunch of niggling issues.

My thanks to narphoenix and Hick Jr for the tips.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Stirge

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 02, 2013, 06:17:06 PM »
Contessa and the Siberian both look frightening, excellent job!

Small nitpicks, Contessa's Guide My Hand needs to have an upgrade as the book version doesn't allow it to be used for attacks or maneuevers.

As for the serial itself, holy %^$% a Glaistig Uaine chapter :-)

What would it take to stat her up?  People were discussing it earlier, before we had more information about her.  A version of Projection with Modular Abilities seems about right (at one time, it was probably Variable Abilities, but she has so many spirits collected she probably has one for any occasion.  If she doesn't, she prolly should get a compel with a Fate point).

Edit - My attempt at Grant Powers (it needs to be worded better, but this is the basic idea).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grant Powers [-2]: Touching a person allows you to grant them some or all of your powers for the scene.  If they are unwilling, you must succeed a Fists vs. their Athletics to affect them. Only one person can benefit from a particular one of your powers at a time (see below).
    [+2]: Power Genie: Only someone else can benefit from some of your powers, not yourself.  When you select this, you must declare which powers it effects.
    [-1]: Share Powers: An additional person can benefit from the same power.  This may be taken multiple times, using the progression table*.
    [-1]: Extended Duration: At the cost of a Fate Point, Grant Powers lasts for an entire session.  At anytime you can use an action to ‘rescind’ the powers you’ve granted.

*I don't think table quite exists, but it would look like the Time Progression people.  A minute = a person, a couple minutes = 5 people, 15 minutes = 15 people, etc...)

I hope this will help with characters like Othala and the mob boss who grants the electrical touch/invulnerability power sets, but also perhaps Null and Clockblocker (I'm working on statting him out, allowing him to grant Total Immunity to others with the limitations of requiring an action to activate and freezing whoever 'benefits' from it for a random amount of time).

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 07:26:02 PM by Stirge »

Offline dpara

• Conversationalist
  • clear and concise reasoning. sharkslap!
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 02, 2013, 09:39:45 PM »
I finally caught up.  I don't remember jack and contessa going toe to toe.

You are right, though it is strongly implied that Jack's secondary power is to win against any parahuman.

So it is possible that Contessa saw no way to win against Jack, but that is kinda unsatisfying.
Maybe she just kept him alive to build his clone army o.O
..Or she kept him alive to trigger Scion early?

SH[Mavra---- Molly- Lash+ Elaine+ Murphy++]

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 02, 2013, 10:25:05 PM »
Mimic Abilities works almost comically well for Glaistig Uaine. I probably wouldn't giver her Projection. I'd just let the "shadows" ("warriors" now) be an Aspect or something. Her Mimic Abilities pool would have to be bloody massive, though.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #276 on: November 02, 2013, 10:37:43 PM »
You are right, though it is strongly implied that Jack's secondary power is to win against any parahuman.

So it is possible that Contessa saw no way to win against Jack, but that is kinda unsatisfying.
Maybe she just kept him alive to build his clone army o.O
..Or she kept him alive to trigger Scion early?

I got the impression his power was to be able to influence any parahuman.  Maybe it's the same thing.

Harbringers power seems more in line to be able to win against any parahuman, although he admitted, he didn't likely have the odds to win if he and jack fought.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 03, 2013, 12:04:39 AM »
I don't think Harbinger's power affects parahumans in particular. I think he's just a very skilled fighter with math powers.

Glaistig Uaine is almost a textbook example of Mimic Abilities, except...

-she projects her abilities as ghosts, which may or may not be mechanically relevant
-her copying ability is limited by number of capes, not by total Refresh cost
-she can switch out her copied abilities without losing them.

So maybe give her Variable Abilities, with a really long list that consists entirely of Mimic Abilities over and over again. And slap a Limitation on each Mimic Abilities that she can only Mimic one cape at a time, and can't mimic things that don't come from passengers. Then give her a pool of points sufficient to use three iterations of Mimic Abilities at once.

But that's a bit convoluted and I have no idea how much that Variable Abilities list should cost. So maybe it'd be better to do some more homebrewing.

She'd also need a Supernatural Sense for passenger-vision and maybe a Power for killing people by ripping out their passengers.

Small nitpicks, Contessa's Guide My Hand needs to have an upgrade as the book version doesn't allow it to be used for attacks or maneuevers.

That so?

I thought it just couldn't be used for physical attacks. That's (part of) why her Fists is so high.

I'm away from my books right now, but I'll go over her again when I get home.

A version of Projection with Modular Abilities seems about right (at one time, it was probably Variable Abilities, but she has so many spirits collected she probably has one for any occasion.  If she doesn't, she prolly should get a compel with a Fate point).

Variable Abilities isn't a narrower version of Modular Abilities, you know.

Grant Powers [-2]: Touching a person allows you to grant them some or all of your powers for the scene.  If they are unwilling, you must succeed a Fists vs. their Athletics to affect them. Only one person can benefit from a particular one of your powers at a time (see below).
    [+2]: Power Genie: Only someone else can benefit from some of your powers, not yourself.  When you select this, you must declare which powers it effects.
    [-1]: Share Powers: An additional person can benefit from the same power.  This may be taken multiple times, using the progression table*.
    [-1]: Extended Duration: At the cost of a Fate Point, Grant Powers lasts for an entire session.  At anytime you can use an action to ‘rescind’ the powers you’ve granted.

*I don't think table quite exists, but it would look like the Time Progression people.  A minute = a person, a couple minutes = 5 people, 15 minutes = 15 people, etc...)

I don't want to be discouraging, but I think this needs work. The cost should scale with the number of Powers affected.

If two people each have 7 Refresh of Powers and this, they can touch each other at the start of each scene and then they'll each have 14 Refresh of Powers.

I suspect there are some Powers which benefit more from share-ability than others, too.

And I suspect the upgrades are abusable.

I hope this will help with characters like Othala and the mob boss who grants the electrical touch/invulnerability power sets, but also perhaps Null and Clockblocker (I'm working on statting him out, allowing him to grant Total Immunity to others with the limitations of requiring an action to activate and freezing whoever 'benefits' from it for a random amount of time).

(click to show/hide)

Not sure if that's the best approach for Clockblocker. He doesn't really give people the benefits of invincibility...it's more like he temporarily takes them out.

Split Strength is an iffy weakness, incidentally, since many powers don't involve rolls. Toughness and Recovery come to mind.

I might use Variable Abilities for Othala, instead of Limitation.

The plan for...Galvanic, I think it was...looks pretty good to me. At least going by what I remember.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 03, 2013, 12:53:44 AM »
You know, Glaistig Uaine is actually just an ectomancer in the DV. I would really want to play that concept. It'd have to be a really high-Refresh game, though. Maybe that's what a lich is in the DV.

I'm with Sanctaphrax on the power sharing. It really needs to have a surcharge that depends on what kind of Powers you can grant.

EDIT: So i'm rereading Sting, and I think I have a lock on how to stat up Winter. My only problem is that she can attack the physical and mental stress tracks at the same time, and I'm not sure how to represent that. a -1 upgrade to Incite Effect would work. I think her powers would look something like

Incite Effect (Winter, with Discipline) (Range, Physical, Mental, Potent, Defensive, Mass, Selective, Persistent) [-9]
Aura of Influence (DAMPENED INERTIA) [-0]
Dangerous Aura (All upgrades, including Mental) [-9].

Also, it's implied that her power needs to be "concentrated" in a certain area, so i'm debating a Limitation saying that Dangerous Aura and Incite Effect can't be used simultaneously.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 03:19:44 AM by Hick Jr »

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 03, 2013, 03:38:20 PM »
Could stat the dual physical/mental attacks as an environmental attack for physical and a regular attack for mental. So Winter would set up her blizzard beforehand as an aspect, which would cause a constant source of physical attacks on a zone (extra shifts would go into the severity of the blizzard/attacks), and use her action for the mental attacks on people/zones.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 03, 2013, 05:41:33 PM »
I don't remember much about Winter, so I can't help much. But I recall her using guns, and I hope that whatever stats you come up with for her make it non-stupid for her to use guns.

I'd be interested in seeing an ectomancer who was like a mixture of Glaistig Uaine and a Pokemon trainer.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 03, 2013, 06:44:27 PM »
I'd be interested in seeing an ectomancer who was like a mixture of Glaistig Uaine and a Pokemon trainer.
I also noticed that Glaistig Uaine is basically the Wormverse equivalent of a Pokemon trainer.

Hmm. Point about the guns. Maybe the Dangerous Aura is the physical one, and the Incite Effect is the mental one.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 05, 2013, 04:48:30 AM »
If you go with your idea of making her choose between her aura and her Incite then it would make sense for her to use guns while her aura was up. And you might be able to justify having the Incite use Guns, if you're creative. (The justification would probably be at least partly BS, but honestly I can't think of a skill that really fits with no BS at all.)

That aside, here's a version of Shatterbird.

(click to show/hide)

City-Wrecking Scream lets Shatterbird attack an entire city at once. Computers are wrecked, and people are subjected to ambush attacks with accuracies and weapon ratings that depend on the amount of silicon nearby.

You shouldn't expect to see it on anyone other than Shatterbird. It's like Leviathan's special Power: a kludge designed to model something that doesn't fit nicely into DFRPG. Not a well-written Power at all.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 05, 2013, 05:39:57 AM »
Creepiest Crowning Moment of Heartwarming ever. Suck it, Sophia.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 06, 2013, 07:06:15 AM »
And here's Defiant.

The power armour stuff is mostly made up, I'm not really sure what his armour is supposed to do.

I write Implanted Items there to signify that some of his items have been incorporated into his body. Not sure exactly how Implanted Items should work as a Power, though.

(click to show/hide)