Author Topic: Statting Up Worm Characters  (Read 61602 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Statting Up Worm Characters
« Reply #255 on: October 31, 2013, 03:58:46 AM »
Yeah, that'd be pretty pricey. Off-hand I'm thinking 3 or 4 Refresh. Should probably err on the side of too expensive, since it raises the ceiling on how powerful a wizard can be.

Could maybe go with a scaling cost, though. Could go with 3 shifts of power become free for each Refresh, up to a maximum of Conviction + bonuses. Because unlimited Evocation is only really impressive if you're actually good at Evocation.

...I didn't object to Alexandria on moral grounds. I objected to her on she's a bitch grounds. Difference.

What?

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 31, 2013, 04:04:01 AM »
Yeah, that'd be pretty pricey. Off-hand I'm thinking 3 or 4 Refresh. Should probably err on the side of too expensive, since it raises the ceiling on how powerful a wizard can be.

Could maybe go with a scaling cost, though. Could go with 3 shifts of power become free for each Refresh, up to a maximum of Conviction + bonuses. Because unlimited Evocation is only really impressive if you're actually good at Evocation.

I think I prefer the 3 or 4 refresh interpretation.

What?

Bonesaw is perfectly affable. Granted, she causes second trigger events casually, but she's polite about it.

Alexandria is just a bitch. Pure and simple. She's not very nice at all. And though you could claim redemption if she was a good guy, she isn't that either. Therefore, Riley>Costa-Brown.

EDIT: Also, you should Bitch a stunt that lets her use Survival for knowledge about Dogs. She deserves it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 04:18:18 AM by narphoenix »
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 31, 2013, 04:36:02 AM »
You should be able to do that without a stunt. It's the animal handling skill, after all, practical knowledge is a part of that.

Though I suppose academic stuff like scientific names and genetic make-up might be beyond Survival, I don't see Rachel knowing that stuff very well.

And I've gotta be honest, this Alexandria thing you have doesn't make much sense to me.

Is it just that she's less polite than Bonesaw? Because that seems really petty.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 31, 2013, 04:46:36 AM »
You should be able to do that without a stunt. It's the animal handling skill, after all, practical knowledge is a part of that.

Though I suppose academic stuff like scientific names and genetic make-up might be beyond Survival, I don't see Rachel knowing that stuff very well.

But she knows things about dog diseases, shots, etc to the point where it's...notable.

And I've gotta be honest, this Alexandria thing you have doesn't make much sense to me.

Is it just that she's less polite than Bonesaw? Because that seems really petty.

Partially. It also, I think, has to do with their evil:awesome ratio.

Alexandria is an unfeeling bitch. She never repents and is focused on image more than doing good. That's the evil. The awesome doesn't outweigh this because while her powers are useful, they're also booooooooring. The most interesting power she has is her Thinker one, and even that's kinda dull. Not only that, but to compound the sin, she doesn't even use it imaginatively.

Bonesaw actually Heel Face Turns. Even when she was in the S9, she was more amoral and FOR SCIENCE than being a bitch for the sake of being a bitch, like Alexandria was.  Was she more than a little crazy? Oh absolutely. But she did it with style. Therefore, her evil:awesome ratio was lower, therefore making Bonesaw better than Alexandria.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 31, 2013, 05:55:59 AM »
I don't think you can be good at taking care of animals if you don't know about their medical vulnerabilities.

I could talk more about Alexandria but honestly I don't think it matters that much.

Here's Contessa. Yeah, I know, this is coming a bit out of nowhere. Whatever, it was a whim.

(click to show/hide)

That first stunt is pretty unfair in this context, I have to say. It would probably be balanced on a character with a normal amount of Fate Points, but here...

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 31, 2013, 11:01:16 AM »
That's one way of just handing Contessa the fight. XP

I'm impressed. I had thought she was unstattable.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 31, 2013, 02:24:13 PM »
Heh, good write up, though as any GM knows: if you stat it, it can be beaten, so maybe not appropriate for Contessa. :P
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 31, 2013, 10:44:21 PM »
Contessa can be beaten. We've seen it happen.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 01, 2013, 03:04:57 AM »
I don't think we have, actually. The only time I can recall her not getting her preferred result is against Mantellum, who she(mechanically) conceded to. The way you've statted her would give her superhuman abilities even when her power is nullified, which doesn't make sense.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 01, 2013, 03:34:34 AM »
Well, it wasn't necessarily a concession. But that's certainly a valid way to read it.

And even if it wasn't a concession, it was certainly a defeat. She got beaten.

Plus she can't take out Scion or the Endbringers. (I'd mostly let her use her normal stats against them, incidentally. Even if she can't use her power against them directly she can set goals like hitting the space that Leviathan's head happens to be in. If you don't like that interpretation, you may want to add a Limitation to Contessa's Powers.)

And since she didn't drag Siberian back to Cauldron, it can be inferred that she wasn't able to. She had every reason to do so, if she was capable.

The way you've statted her would give her superhuman abilities even when her power is nullified, which doesn't make sense.

Um, no?

A power like Mantellum's should affect her skills as well as her Powers. Unfortunately that'd be a bugger to stat up, but that's normal, since Worm isn't a DFRPG game.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 01, 2013, 03:57:11 AM »
Does anyone else find it funny that Contessa out Jack Slashes Jack Slash?
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 01, 2013, 05:57:18 AM »
What do you mean by that?

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 01, 2013, 07:22:29 AM »
Well, it wasn't necessarily a concession. But that's certainly a valid way to read it.

And even if it wasn't a concession, it was certainly a defeat. She got beaten.

She ran away from the fight, conceding it because she couldn't fight against Mantellum and win.

Plus she can't take out Scion or the Endbringers. (I'd mostly let her use her normal stats against them, incidentally. Even if she can't use her power against them directly she can set goals like hitting the space that Leviathan's head happens to be in. If you don't like that interpretation, you may want to add a Limitation to Contessa's Powers.)

I don't think Limitation would cover it, since this is essentially an offensive blocking action by another character.

And since she didn't drag Siberian back to Cauldron, it can be inferred that she wasn't able to. She had every reason to do so, if she was capable.

Given that she was basically the one running the show, since Cauldron was following her plan, I think I'd read that as her allowing Manton to escape rather than her being unable to subdue/kill him. After all, her power isn't something as concrete as projections; it's an I Win button that applies to all but a few beings in the multiverse.

Um, no?

A power like Mantellum's should affect her skills as well as her Powers. Unfortunately that'd be a bugger to stat up, but that's normal, since Worm isn't a DFRPG game.

Fantastic Fists/Athletics is Usain Bolt/Muhammed Ali level of skill, which isn't how Contessa wins. The one occasion we see her go up against someone she can't use her power against, she runs. That says to me that when she's bereft of her power she's just as human as the rest of us. Going further than that, Epic Conviction and Scholarship should really only apply when she has her power.

Personally, I'd just have her power give a static bonus instead of putting her base stats so high (+2 to mental skills, +2 to social, +1 to physical. If I was going to stat her, that is). It's powerful, yes, but Contessa's power is so OP she could kill the single most dangerous cape in the multiverse without there being any threat to her.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 01, 2013, 12:17:57 PM »
What do you mean by that?

With the whole "I have powers but still can throw around muchos Fate Points" thing.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #269 on: November 01, 2013, 01:39:44 PM »
I finally caught up.  I don't remember jack and contessa going toe to toe.