Author Topic: Statting Up Worm Characters  (Read 61200 times)

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Statting Up Worm Characters
« Reply #165 on: September 24, 2013, 04:25:21 AM »
So...UmbraLux.

Are you interested in GM'ing?

*coy glance*

*adds Oliver Twist face*
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 24, 2013, 10:18:56 PM »
So...UmbraLux.

Are you interested in GM'ing?

*coy glance*
Hehe, I do GM...not Worm though.  :)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 24, 2013, 10:34:19 PM »

Blargh. Curses. I suppose I can sympathize, however. GM'ing a Wormverse game would probably be significantly more difficult, if only because you have to come up with so many capes.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 24, 2013, 10:38:05 PM »

First time for everything? O:-)
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 25, 2013, 05:48:41 AM »
In all seriousness, it would be great to have you on board.

I've never played with you, but from talking with you here I know that you know your stuff. Your style is a bit different from mine, but not so different that I couldn't adjust.

I don't want to pressure you or anything, though. If you don't want to, you don't want to.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 25, 2013, 07:52:34 AM »
Projection v2. Hope this is better than Projection v1.

PROJECTION [-2]
Description: You can create a second body out of nothing and control it like a puppet.
Skills Affected: All.
Effects:
Projection. As a full action, you may create a projection. A projection is a second body that may move away from your main body. Your projection shares your skills and Stunts and Powers, but doesn't necessarily have to look like you. It does have to have a consistent appearance unless it can shapeshift, but that appearance can be just about anything. Your projection must stay within a mile of your main body or it dissolves. You can dissolve it intentionally as a supplemental action. You can only can have one projection at a time.
Multiple Actions. Each of your bodies can act once each exchange. When taking multiple actions in a single exchange, you must divide up your shifts as if making a spray attack. If the actions would use different skill totals, use the lowest one for the combined action.
Destroyable Projection. Your projection has its own physical stress track, but you share mental and social stress tracks as well as consequence slots. Stress inflicted to your projection lingers even if you dismiss the projection, though it clears at the end of the scene as normal. If your projection is taken out, you can't re-create it for the rest of the day.
Multiple Projections [-1]. You can have up to 6 projections. One action suffices to create them all. They all share a single physical stress track.
Skilled Projection [-1]. You and your projection(s) have different skills. Draw up a projection skill pyramid using the same number of points as your regular pyramid, in accordance with your skill cap. Your projection(s) may not be better than you at any knowledge or social skill, but they may certainly be more perceptive or more physically adept than you. If you want your projection(s) to have Stunts/Powers you don't or vice versa, use Limitation.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 12:19:16 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 25, 2013, 10:11:16 AM »
Okay, the Siberian's done.

Sort of.

I'm considering meddling with Projection further. Not sure it's necessary for a dead projection to stay dead so long, plus I want to restrict Skilled Projection a bit more and I think I should make clear that you have to create the projection in your zone.

Limitation gets kind of silly when you attach it to this much stuff. +27 Refresh? Seriously?

Unstoppable Non-Teleportation (which makes her un-grapple-able and lets her walk through walls), All Creatures (And Objects) Are Equal Before Me (which lets her tear up people and buildings as if they were paper), and Tank (which lets her take hits in place of her allies) will eventually get written up.

(click to show/hide)

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 26, 2013, 02:39:10 AM »
In all seriousness, it would be great to have you on board.

I've never played with you, but from talking with you here I know that you know your stuff. Your style is a bit different from mine, but not so different that I couldn't adjust.

I don't want to pressure you or anything, though. If you don't want to, you don't want to.
I like Worm as a story, it's the best web serial I've seen and a well written story in it's own right.  However I'm not sure I'd enjoy a game in the setting.  Fighting not to be a doormat makes a good story and possibly even a one or two shot game.  (I'd suggest using Fiasco.  ;) )  It wouldn't be as fun as a campaign.  I tend to prefer systems/setting biased towards PC success.  Just a matter of preferences though, I'm sure you can find a group who'd enjoy being kicked around by the Simurgh.   :D
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 26, 2013, 03:04:24 AM »
I like Worm as a story, it's the best web serial I've seen and a well written story in it's own right.  However I'm not sure I'd enjoy a game in the setting.  Fighting not to be a doormat makes a good story and possibly even a one or two shot game.  (I'd suggest using Fiasco.  ;) )  It wouldn't be as fun as a campaign.  I tend to prefer systems/setting biased towards PC success.  Just a matter of preferences though, I'm sure you can find a group who'd enjoy being kicked around by the Simurgh.   :D

Well. Kicked around? Maybe. But we have at least one PC (mine) who is completely and without question immune to her song.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 26, 2013, 08:54:28 AM »
Huh. I actually have the opposite concern about this game, that the power level has been set so high that we'll just steamroll everything. As I may have mentioned, I would have preferred playing with weaker characters.

(If we do fight the Endbringers, we'll need to give them more durability. Mythic Toughness won't cut it against us.)

Any thoughts on the Siberian?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 29, 2013, 08:07:31 AM »
Slightly saddened by the lack of comment on the Siberian. That one was a lot of work, and I'm not sure I did everything right.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 29, 2013, 05:08:24 PM »
The powers look good, but a few of the stunts are little weird to me.

-Can't Block Me (Fists): When attacking through Projection, Fists attacks count as bullets for the purpose of selecting blocking skills.

Thematically appropriate, but dictating an opponent's skill roll makes me a little uncomfortable. I understand that you're not supposed to be able to block the Siberian, but still.

-Nobody Knows They Should Be Looking For Me (Stealth): +2 to Stealth in normal body against people who don't know his secret.

This is too broad. It should only apply if he's deliberately trying to conceal that he's the Siberian.

-Power Analysis (Scholarship): May use Scholarship, including Parahuman Researcher bonus, to analyse powers and determine their true nature.

Is this necessary at all? It adds a trapping, which is an appropriate use for a stunt, but the Lore skill might already serve this purpose in the Wormverse. If it is necessary, Taylor should almost certainly have it, because she makes a habit of comprehensively analyzing the powers of everyone she fights/encounters.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 30, 2013, 09:17:10 AM »
-Can't Block Me (Fists): When attacking through Projection, Fists attacks count as bullets for the purpose of selecting blocking skills.

Thematically appropriate, but dictating an opponent's skill roll makes me a little uncomfortable. I understand that you're not supposed to be able to block the Siberian, but still.

I hesitated to include this, but then I remembered that the Siberian could get this effect plus three zones of range for half the price by attaching Ranged to Natural Weaponry. So if that's OK, then this must be OK too.

-Nobody Knows They Should Be Looking For Me (Stealth): +2 to Stealth in normal body against people who don't know his secret.

This is too broad. It should only apply if he's deliberately trying to conceal that he's the Siberian.

You're right, it's too broad. I wanted to include a Stealth stunt because Manton went for years without anyone being able to find him, but...this was a poor attempt.

Unfortunately, Stealth isn't used to conceal one's identity. So that restriction won't work, unless I'm misunderstanding your meaning. Any other ideas?

-Power Analysis (Scholarship): May use Scholarship, including Parahuman Researcher bonus, to analyse powers and determine their true nature.

Is this necessary at all? It adds a trapping, which is an appropriate use for a stunt, but the Lore skill might already serve this purpose in the Wormverse. If it is necessary, Taylor should almost certainly have it, because she makes a habit of comprehensively analyzing the powers of everyone she fights/encounters.

The idea is that Manton's analysis goes deeper than that. He was able to determine that Rachel's power would work better with a wolf than with a dog. Despite never actually haven spoken to her or performed any formal analysis of her.

Taylor would never have been able to do that. There wasn't any direct evidence that her power would work better (or at all) with wolves. So Manton must have been using his (Stunt-assisted) deeper insight into the nature of parahuman powers.

Maybe I should rewrite the stunt to make that clear. Not sure exactly how to do so, though.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 30, 2013, 01:08:08 PM »
Excellent point on the no-blocking-me stunt.

Deceit is generally used to conceal your identity. A +2 bonus to Deceit in his normal body to conceal that he's the Siberian.

Hmm. I thought Bastard was just a symbolic gift. I didn't consider that Manton had considered how Rachel's power would work on a more atavistic canine.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 01, 2013, 07:34:49 AM »
He's already got some Deceit mojo. But since he was able to slip away from Legend, follow the Nine without being detected for years, and spy unnoticed on Rachel, I want to give him some Stealth as well.