Author Topic: Statting Up Worm Characters  (Read 64079 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Statting Up Worm Characters
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2013, 06:49:08 AM »
And here's Legend.

Unlike most of these writeups, this one's not current. It dates back to his interlude. I wanted to stat him as the Protectorate leader.

This posed some trouble, since Legend already pushes up against the limits of 50 skill points and 21 Refresh. He's got social, physical, and political power in spades, and all of that is expensive.

I wanted to make his Speed and Strength Mythic, but it wasn't in the budget. And if I had one more skill point to play with, I'd have given him a 3-wide skill tower up to Superb with Fantastic Presence on top.

His Aspects were kind of fun to write. Stole one of them from the Parahumans Online interlude.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 07:04:00 PM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2013, 08:33:59 PM »
Legend is cool!

Also, upon review, the veteran members of the Nine seem to be able to turn off their ability to feel pain whenever they want, which seems to scream "Human Form restricted Feel No Pain". Bonesaw definitely has it.

Also, after reviewing the Drones power, it seems really appropriate for Taylor. But it doesn't allow for the massive amounts of bugs she has access to, and the fact that it doesn't really bother her when they get killed.

Also, is Panacea doable with this system? It might be possible to hack something together with Incite Effect and Ritual (Biomancy) or even full Thaumaturgy.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 08:44:10 PM by Hick Jr »
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2013, 10:17:38 PM »
Can't...stop....reading....

:P

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2013, 07:29:47 PM »
Also, upon review, the veteran members of the Nine seem to be able to turn off their ability to feel pain whenever they want, which seems to scream "Human Form restricted Feel No Pain". Bonesaw definitely has it.

I gave Bonesaw Feel No Pain, without Human Form.

Gave Jack Inhuman Toughness to represent being augmented by Bonesaw. Considered giving him Feel No Pain as well, but decided to conserve Refresh because it hadn't been confirmed in-story.

Not really inclined to edit that retroactively. He needs that massive stack of Fate Points.

Also, after reviewing the Drones power, it seems really appropriate for Taylor. But it doesn't allow for the massive amounts of bugs she has access to, and the fact that it doesn't really bother her when they get killed.

Drones is appropriate, but it's not necessary. I like the current Supernatural Sense + Incite Effect + Limitation set-up.

Also, is Panacea doable with this system? It might be possible to hack something together with Incite Effect and Ritual (Biomancy) or even full Thaumaturgy.

Maybe.

The problem is that Panacea's power is unreasonably strong. She can make Extreme Consequences vanish with a touch. She can casually reverse a city-wide plague. She can make creatures like Atlas and the relay bugs out of whatever biomass happens to be lying around, without significant effort or a significant time investment.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2013, 07:57:49 AM »
Newter's done. Wasn't too tricky.

Alexandria is proving to be harder. I think I have her Powers down, but I'm having trouble with skills and Aspects.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2013, 09:08:19 AM »
Alexandria here.

I'm not totally satisfied with these stats, and I might still revise her later. I felt like she needed more skill points than I was allowed to spend.

Input would be greatly appreciated.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2013, 04:27:44 PM »
Newter and Alexandria look good! Her skill pyramid was a little weird until I read the Immunity thing.

I was thinking that Panacea is just the strongest biomancer who's ever lived. Thaumaturgy, a buttload of Refinements, possibly that Internalized Foci power, and Mastery of Biomancy or Incite Effect for the fast and dirty stuff.

Offline MadAlchemist

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2013, 06:49:16 PM »
Yup, this thread got me hooked. Haven't been peeking too much here till I caught up.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2013, 09:44:42 PM »
Glad to have you onboard, MadAlchemist.

And yeah, Panacea is basically "just" the strongest biomancer ever...except, the magic system doesn't go that high. Repairing snapped spines with a casual touch is just not possible for a character in this system.

And considering what Mab had to go through to keep Harry alive after has was "killed", I don't think Panacea-level healing mojo is supposed to exist in the Dresdenverse. Except, maybe, when the White God gets involved.

Offline KnightOrbis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2013, 03:24:52 AM »
How would you stat up certain strikers like Grace, Watch, or Brandish.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2013, 05:44:02 AM »
Natural Weaponry, mostly. Sometimes with a stunt or two.

Watch, for example, deserves a stunt that negates two points of worn armour when he attacks unarmed.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2013, 01:18:13 AM »
Hmmm.

Musings on Hatchet Face have led me to some interest in a Power-nullifying Power. Possibly creating a block on using any supernatural abilities similar to that of a threshold- any effort is reduced by x shifts.

Is this a terrible idea? It'd be a really scary thing to spring on one's players.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2013, 05:13:54 AM »
I don't think a block is the best way to go about it. When Alexandria goes to punch Hatchet Face, she doesn't find it any harder to hit him. She just doesn't do much damage, because her strength has been negated.

A block would also fail to represent the offensive aspects of Hatchet Face's aura, like the way that Speed doesn't help you dodge him and Toughness doesn't help you tank his hits.

That's why I declined to stat Hatchet Face when he was requested. Proper stats for him would require a new Power-negating Power, and it would be a lot of work to write such a Power.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2013, 07:00:15 AM »
Not particularly. A persistent Block to all rolls that use Powers that would affect the zone Hatchet Face is in would do it (Hatchet Face not included). He would effectively have his own threshold.

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2013, 07:25:39 AM »
That wouldn't actually affect most Powers at all, since most Powers don't involve rolls.

And it would be fairly easy to muscle through for many opponents, since Hatchet Face's Discipline is probably not all that great.

If Taylor is in melee with Hatchet Face, she shouldn't be able to put a BUGS IN YOUR EYES Aspect on him. But by that writeup she could, since she maneuvers at Epic or Legendary with her insect control and his block is probably just Good.