Author Topic: Statting Up Worm Characters  (Read 61685 times)

Offline razorsmile

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • red like smoke
Re: Statting Up Worm Characters
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2013, 02:04:55 PM »
Here's Taylor.

I felt like she deserved more skill points than I could offer...might have been a good idea to kick her up to Scuba Diving level. She could use the extra FP, too, with the stuff she pulls.

Her ability to make spidersilk armour is covered by her Incite Effect and her Craftsmanship skill. Some GMs might not allow that, so if you want to play her you might have to use her last spare Refresh on some kind of silk ability.

(click to show/hide)

Should probably be something in there that covers her frankly ludicrous multitasking ability. Other than that, it's a stat-up; comprehensive yet compact.
They rose amid the crag as lightning blasted the mountains black against the sky and lashed blue fire over their saddles and along the guns.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2013, 12:58:39 AM »
Wow, how did I forget that?

I considered giving her Extra Appendages, but her Refresh budget didn't have room. Maybe I should just kick her up to Scuba Diving after all...

Or maybe I could just reword Extra-Strength Passenger to Multi-Task Passenger.

For whatever it's worth, here's Scuba Diving Taylor:

(click to show/hide)

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2013, 02:29:08 AM »
Random thought: I kinda wonder what the worm characters would be like if you translated them over to the DF setting? What would they be? Rachel as some sort of focused practioner who can buff up anyone but chooses to only do so on dogs? Taylor as a neuromancer who's weak enough that she can only take control of simple minds like insects and crabs? Grue as a Hob changeling (though that doesn't really fit with his body and looks)? A DFRPG game set in a city where a group of "low powered" talents ( ;)) have taken over after the fall of the Red Court could be fun.
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2013, 03:16:53 AM »
I dunno.

Honestly, the question's not that interesting to me. I feel like you'd lose a lot of what makes the Worm-verse characters who they are if you moved them into the Dresden setting.

Gonna put these up on the wiki tonight.

Offline KnightOrbis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2013, 03:33:03 AM »
After reading Worm I now can fully understand how awesome this thread is.

How would you do Regent, Incite Effect for simple twitches and involuntary reactions and domination for the full body takeover or would it warrant spellcasting?

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2013, 04:32:55 AM »
I dunno.

Honestly, the question's not that interesting to me. I feel like you'd lose a lot of what makes the Worm-verse characters who they are if you moved them into the Dresden setting.

Gonna put these up on the wiki tonight.

Do you think so because magical stuff is kept hidden in the DF while the superhero situation is very public in the Wormverse? That's pretty much the only thing I can think of that would have a major impact on the characters (what with Tattletale for example, probably not being blamed for her brothers death. Well, unless they found out about her powers...).

Requests: Night,Fog, Crawler, Mannequin, Hatchet Face, Cherish,and the Siberian. Oh yeah, and Jack. I'm rather curious as to how you'll stat him.   

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2013, 06:00:16 AM »
Do you think so because magical stuff is kept hidden in the DF while the superhero situation is very public in the Wormverse?

That's part of it. The Red Court would be totally out of place in Worm, and the PRT would be totally out of place in the Dresden Files.

The psychological importance of trigger events and passengers is another part. Every natural cape has been traumatized, and many of them have weird mental rewiring thanks to their powers.

The atmosphere of the worlds is different too. The Dresdenverse is more mysterious, the Wormverse is more scary. Urban fantasy/noir mystery is different from superhero/horror-thriller.

And the powers manifest differently. The Wormverse is basically materialistic. Your brain is a physical object, your powers are physical effects. The Dresdenverse is more spiritual. You work magic with your will, and you've actually got a soul. DF heavyweights have all kinds of metaphysical weight, while Wormverse heavyweights basically just punch really really hard.

Requests: Night,Fog, Crawler, Mannequin, Hatchet Face, Cherish,and the Siberian. Oh yeah, and Jack. I'm rather curious as to how you'll stat him.

I did Cherish already.

Jack, Night, and Crawler should all be pretty easy.

Mannequin and Fog will probably be a bit trickier, but nothing I can't handle.

Hatchet Face and the Siberian are too hard, though. No can do.

After reading Worm I now can fully understand how awesome this thread is.

Did you start reading because of this thread?

How would you do Regent, Incite Effect for simple twitches and involuntary reactions and domination for the full body takeover or would it warrant spellcasting?

No need for spellcasting. His body-stealing is a little tricky to model because it's halfway between Domination and Possession, though. He sees through his victims' eyes and controls their every movement, but he keeps control of his own body and he can target multiple people. On the other hand, he loses control if his concentration breaks.

I'd probably do it like this...

Incite Spasms At Range [-2]
Limitation [+3] (Must concentrate to keep thralls under control, which sometimes involves taking a penalty. If concentration breaks thralls go free until he concentrates again.)
   Superior Enthrallment [-3] (Grants the Pack Instincts Power with all upgrades.)
   Pack Instincts [-4] (All upgrades, pack consists of enthralled characters.)

Using the homebrew version of Pack Instincts, of course.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2013, 07:02:22 AM »
That's part of it. The Red Court would be totally out of place in Worm, and the PRT would be totally out of place in the Dresden Files.

The psychological importance of trigger events and passengers is another part. Every natural cape has been traumatized, and many of them have weird mental rewiring thanks to their powers.

The atmosphere of the worlds is different too. The Dresdenverse is more mysterious, the Wormverse is more scary. Urban fantasy/noir mystery is different from superhero/horror-thriller.

And the powers manifest differently. The Wormverse is basically materialistic. Your brain is a physical object, your powers are physical effects. The Dresdenverse is more spiritual. You work magic with your will, and you've actually got a soul. DF heavyweights have all kinds of metaphysical weight, while Wormverse heavyweights basically just punch really really hard.

Huh...interesting stuff to ponder. Though I never really thought of Worm as a horror story. I mean its got horrifying things in it yeah but those seem like more of a strong side dish. It's kind of like if someone wrote a story set in some third world, war torn country. Horrible and scary things are done in those countries every day but I don't think you'd classify a book that had those things as a "horror" story. The Dresdenverse could easily have that kind of horror, we just don't see it because Jim doesn't want to write that stuff (by WoJ).   

I did Cherish already.

Jack, Night, and Crawler should all be pretty easy.

Mannequin and Fog will probably be a bit trickier, but nothing I can't handle.

Hatchet Face and the Siberian are too hard, though. No can do.
<snip>

Whoops, forgot about that  :-[.

Thanks again  :D.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2013, 07:53:55 AM »
First three done.

The full extent of Crawler and Night's healing is beyond the scope of the system, sad to say.

Crawler's evolution is just buying Powers. You can do that whenever you have a good excuse, in this game.

(click to show/hide)

Offline KnightOrbis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2013, 07:59:43 AM »
Did you start reading because of this thread?

Yeah I felt I was missing some context and spent the next week reading, I'm currently almost halfway through Arc 23 about where Behemoth first shows up. Which makes me feel like Endbringers with the possible exception of Leviathan are pretty much plot device territory.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2013, 08:33:59 AM »
They are pretty massively overpowered. But keep reading! Surprises are in store!

Depending on how you look at it, the second half of Crushed either proves the Behemoth is beyond stats or proves the opposite.

That aside, it's kind of nice to know that this thread has given Worm at least one new reader. Not sure why fan-evangelism (fangelism?) is satisfying, but it is.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2013, 10:43:56 AM »
I am also a fresh made Worm reader. Currently on about 6.9
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline KnightOrbis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2013, 06:32:11 PM »
And for Fog I was thinking a upgrade of Gaseous Form that the maneuvers inflict something like the POISONED aspect, and or BLINDED for a simple solution.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2013, 08:08:53 PM »
I just started it and am now hooked.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2013, 11:29:12 PM »
Given that Leviathan's afterimage is constantly creating water for him to play with, is a Myrk-esque power appropriate?
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.