Author Topic: Um...Back to ask more questions about San Francisco...  (Read 1353 times)

Offline arianne

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Um...Back to ask more questions about San Francisco...
« on: May 01, 2013, 01:51:32 PM »
I had a previous thread where I was asking location questions for an urban fantasy work, and i tried to go back into it but it looks like the topic has been locked due to inactivity, so here I am back again to ask some more detailed quetions about San Francisco...

(Although first of all, is there anyone who lives in SF or has lived for a longish period time in SF and can volunteer to be my location muse and allow me to ask tons of here, there, and everywhere questions about the place??? Please????)

So anyway, here are my burning questions for the moment...

1) Is it true that the Civic Center and Financial District areas are pretty much deserted by night? I am planning to set a supernatural battle in that general area and I certainly don't want there to be people around to see that happening...

2) What kind of ethnic groups live in the Tenderloin? Some places on the internet claim that it's more Hispanic/Asian, but others say that it's primarily white people?

3) How long would it take to drive from the Nob Hill area? And am I right in thinking that people who live in Nob Hill are fairly rich? And am I also right in thinking that Nob Hill is fairly suburban? (I'm looking to locate a large chunk of scene action in a suburban area of SF, not necessarily white picket fences, but at least two to three floor houses with maybe a driveway...?)

Thanks in advance!!!
I swear to you, by my own stunning good looks and towering ego, that I'm not lying to you.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Um...Back to ask more questions about San Francisco...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 04:48:45 PM »
3) How long would it take to drive from the Nob Hill area? And am I right in thinking that people who live in Nob Hill are fairly rich? And am I also right in thinking that Nob Hill is fairly suburban? (I'm looking to locate a large chunk of scene action in a suburban area of SF, not necessarily white picket fences, but at least two to three floor houses with maybe a driveway...?)

Thanks in advance!!!
Nob Hill is right in the middle of the downtown area, next to Chinatown, Im not sure it is the suburban area you are looking for.  I know some people that live in Kensington, which is across the bay on the North side of Oakland, and fits your description fairly well.  It about a half-hour drive across the bay bridge, but it can be substantially more during rush hours. 

http://flowingdata.com/2010/12/16/mapping-demographics-of-every-block-and-city-in-america/
This might be a useful site for you, it maps the area based on various demographics.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline arianne

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Um...Back to ask more questions about San Francisco...
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 05:40:29 PM »
Thank you soooo much for the site with the demographics!! It's super useful. I took a look around the Tenderloin area I was thinking of, and it does look primarily white and Asian.

I know some people that live in Kensington, which is across the bay on the North side of Oakland, and fits your description fairly well.

Hmm. I was hoping for somewhere in San Francisco, preferably near the Tenderloin for various story reasons.

I don't know that it would need to be super suburban. Mostly what I really need is a flat roof (and to my dismay, it looks as though many roofs in SF are pointed) because some story action needs to take place on the roof of a residential house. Hopefully there would be few neighbors around too because otherwise they might call the police about the weird things happening next door.

Or am I making this too hard on myself?  ;D
I swear to you, by my own stunning good looks and towering ego, that I'm not lying to you.