Author Topic: Fate Core Conversion  (Read 6643 times)

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Fate Core Conversion
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 06:42:02 PM »
Hm.  For contrast & reference, here's my fate-core-ized version of evocation.

Evocation:
Requirement: A high concept (or, with GM permission, other relevant aspect) indicating that you can work magic.
Cost: One refresh.
Limitations: Evocation should have some appropriate thematic limitations - perhaps you work with, say, just fire, force, and wind.  Work this out individually; a spellcaster whose paradigm is the eastern elements of Wood and Metal would be very different from a hippy wannabe-druid or a retired ectomancer, even if the power is mechanically the same.

Effects:
1: You may defend yourself from attacks using your Will skill - if and only if you have an appropriate aspect placed on the scene, such as "wall of fire", "dome of force", "entropic shield", or the like.  (Note that this will usually apply only to physical combat... but only usually; for example, one could easily imagine a wall of fire justifying using Will to defend against an opponent's attempts to intimidate you.)
2: You may attack with magic using either Fight or Shoot skills, as appropriate.  Working magic at range is difficult, though; you're at -1 for each zone your target is away from you - though this can be offset with appropriate focus items.
3: You may create an advantage with magic, using Will, Fight, or Shoot - though Will is limited to personal range aspects, Fight is limited to the zone you're in, and Shoot is generally limited to offensive effects - though subject to GM discretion; a wall of fire might be acceptable, for example, as it's thematically pretty similar to using a gun for a "covering fire" type of aspect.  As with ranged attacks, create an advantage takes a -1 penalty for each zone of range - again, this can be offset with appropriate focus items.
4: You may use "weapons" and "armor" in the form of focus items - for example, a really well-made wizard's staff might make all your magical attacks count as weapon rating four with an extra +4 to offset range penalties, or a blasting rod might allow fire attacks at weapon: 3 with +3 to offset range penalties, while a heavily enchanted leather duster might provide armor three, or a simple luck charm armor one.  Mundane authorities are unlikely to recognize the true nature of such implements, but anyone clued in is likely to be aware that a wizard with a staff is armed and dangerous, and lore rolls to detect their magical nature get a +1 bonus per point of weapon or armor rating they offer.

Now, someone like Dresden, a combat-focused wizard, probably has a number of stunts that add to this.  Things like:
Magical Thug: For the cost of a point of mental stress, you can make a magical attack that counts as weapon rating two... or +1 weapon rating over whatever focus you're using.
Reactive Shield: You've practiced to the point where you can raise a particular type of shield with a thought; you don't need an established aspect in order to defend yourself with Will.  (But you do still need appropriate justification - a force shield is unlikely to protect you from much in the way of social or mental attacks, for example.)
Focus, Focus, Focus: As long as you have an appropriate focus item in hand, you may use Will instead of Shoot for ranged attacks or create an advantage actions using magic.
Burn It All Down: +1 to any attack or create an advantage action using fire magic... but if you fail by two or more, the GM gets to place a scene aspect as the poorly controlled spell sets something else on fire.  And yes, the GM gets a free tag on that, too.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 08:16:13 PM by wyvern »

Offline Phantomdoodler

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 09:34:27 PM »
Very Nice!! There was me trying to fate-corise the dresden magic system, but using the extra rules is very refreshing. Mmmm

Heres my take on Evocation as an extra

Evocation
Permissions: You must have an appropriate aspect related to magic, based on the cost of this extra (at -2 refresh you must be a sorcerer or wizard)
Costs: -1 to -3 Refresh

Choose 1 element, plus 2 elements per additional -1 Refresh. You may produce the following magical effects when using those elements. each use of evocation inflicts 1 mental stress.

Overcome: Use Will to Counterspell an existing magical effect, or remove an aspect created by a wizard.
Create an Advantage: Use Lore to create an aspect appropriate to your elements. If at range, you suffer -1 per zone
Attack: Use Shoot to hit a target, at -1 per zone. Take a -2 to affect all targets in a zone, or divide total roll to choose selective targets.
Defend: Use Will to defend against an attack,but only if you have a suitable aspect in place such as Force shield or Wall of Fire. 

Backlash and Fallout:  If you fail your attempt, you may take backlash or fallout to make up the deficit: For each +1 to your roll, you may either take a point of physical or mental stress (either, not both), or cause fallout to the environment, causing destruction or injury to others.

You also gain 2 enchantment slots per -1 Refresh cost. Enchantment slots provide the following:

+1 per slot to a specific action/element (shield charm adding +1 to spirit defends, a blasting rod adding +1 to Fire attack rolls etc)
+1 per slot for +1 Armour rating (a toughened duster)
Spell usable once per session per slot. The spell has a specific effect chosen from above, but doesnt cost you mental stress. It uses an appropriate roll to determine the effect as above. It may take the form of a potion, in which case the effect is made using Lore, regardless of effect (rolled when drinking the potion)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 09:40:40 PM by Phantomdoodler »

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 09:53:54 PM »
Hm.  I deliberately designed my version to be a one refresh thing - it only moves one trapping, after all, and for the rest just provides justification for using, say, Shoot skill without a gun.  (This is also why I removed mental stress as a cost - if any random mook can pick up a gun and shoot at weapon: 3 with their Shoot skill... the wizard with a blasting rod ought to be on at least equal footing.  In DFRPG the mental stress cost is a necessary balance for evocation being able to attack with extremely high skill & weapon values - when I scaled that back, I also removed the stress cost.)
Focus & enchanted items are, in my version, treated basically the same as mundane weapons & armor & tools - a viewpoint that I extend to thaumaturgy, too:

From my perspective a fate core version of thaumaturgy is just "Well, you're a wizard, so of course you can use Crafts skill to make a potion of water breathing - same way a gadgeteer could use Crafts to make a scuba tank, or anyone could use resources to just buy such a thing." Of course, a really good crafter-wizard would add stunts, perhaps switching magic item creation from crafts to lore, or maybe a stunt to offset penalties due to inadequate materials for some categories of thaumaturgy - "Yeah, I can make a tracking spell with some hair and a shoe string.  Gimme five minutes."

Backlash and Fallout: I don't see any need to include general rules for these; they'd normally fall into fate core's "succeed at a cost" option.
I'm also a little confused as to why you have create an advantage listed as lore - it doesn't seem to match the rest of the power (or DFRPG evocation, either...)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 09:56:12 PM by wyvern »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 01:30:04 AM »
I disagree.  Considering that most would have a casting stat at apex skill anyway, all it's really doing is allow the caster to be more rounded with other skills.  Makes the caster stronger, but not spellcasting itself.  And the advancement with Focus Items and such still has to deal with Power and Control ratings.

Perhaps with advancement over time that changes, but we haven't gotten there yet.

I admit I'm not sure what the difference between making casters stronger and making casting stronger is supposed to be.

Regardless, needing three skills is one of the big weaknesses of spellcasting. A good wizard isn't good at much else.

And the effect does grow somewhat more pronounced with advancement. But not much.

I consider the Core version of Rapport far more clearly defined and less powerful than it was in DFRPG.

Really?

So far as I can tell a bunch of stuff has been added to Rapport and nothing has been taken away.

If you're throwing to cause Stress, it should be Shoot.  Making either of those skills into Stress causing skills should be worth a stunt at least.

Yeah. That's what I was talking about when I said Athletics seemed too good.

Regarding starting skill points, since there are 5 less skills than Dresden (80%), each power level should have 80% of the previous ratings. I have actually been a little generous here since the correct amount should be 16/20/24/28. Actually i think 15/20/25/30 would be more appropriate.

Direct proportional reduction isn't always a good idea.

Suppose you went with fantazero's four skills.

Move, Talk, Fight, Magic.

Direct proportional reduction would give you Up To Your Waist characters with 4 points split between those skills.

Such characters would be vastly weaker than normal Up To Your Waist Characters, since they'd be Fair or Average at their best skill.

Direct proportional reduction effectively forces people to diversify their skill points, giving them a broader flatter pyramid. That tends to make characters weaker, since it reduces their effectiveness at what they most care about in exchange for boosting skills that matter little to them.

That's the lesson I learned when I tried making a shorter skill list.

Burglary does cover hacking and other elicit technical skills, so its pretty useful.

Burglary is rarely used in canon DFRPG. You've merged other skills, and left Burglary alone. Not really a good plan.

Offline Phantomdoodler

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 07:33:25 AM »
Direct proportional reduction isn't always a good idea.

Suppose you went with fantazero's four skills.

Move, Talk, Fight, Magic.

Direct proportional reduction would give you Up To Your Waist characters with 4 points split between those skills.

Such characters would be vastly weaker than normal Up To Your Waist Characters, since they'd be Fair or Average at their best skill.

Direct proportional reduction effectively forces people to diversify their skill points, giving them a broader flatter pyramid. That tends to make characters weaker, since it reduces their effectiveness at what they most care about in exchange for boosting skills that matter little to them.

I am confused. In your own post, you reduce your skills to 10 and

"If using this revision, divide everyone's number of skill points by 2 to keep things sane."

Yet you seem to be against me reducing the total skills to 20 and reducing skill points by 20%

But I agree that just reducing skill points in proportion doesnt work when the numbers get low. Actually the whole pyramid thing goes haywire with a small number of skills. Fate Accelerated gives you 6 skills with Great (1), Good (2), Fair (2), Average (1) distribution with 15 points of skills. So I would give out 20/20/25/30 as for my first post. As I mentioned earlier, this is just my personal preference to keep things "sane"

Burglary is rarely used in canon DFRPG. You've merged other skills, and left Burglary alone. Not really a good plan.

This is Fate cores list. I was just pointing out the changes they made. I cant take credit for that :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 07:37:30 AM by Phantomdoodler »

Offline Phantomdoodler

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 07:44:22 AM »
Hm.  I deliberately designed my version to be a one refresh thing - it only moves one trapping, after all, and for the rest just provides justification for using, say, Shoot skill without a gun.  (This is also why I removed mental stress as a cost - if any random mook can pick up a gun and shoot at weapon: 3 with their Shoot skill... the wizard with a blasting rod ought to be on at least equal footing.  In DFRPG the mental stress cost is a necessary balance for evocation being able to attack with extremely high skill & weapon values - when I scaled that back, I also removed the stress cost.)
Focus & enchanted items are, in my version, treated basically the same as mundane weapons & armor & tools - a viewpoint that I extend to thaumaturgy, too:

From my perspective a fate core version of thaumaturgy is just "Well, you're a wizard, so of course you can use Crafts skill to make a potion of water breathing - same way a gadgeteer could use Crafts to make a scuba tank, or anyone could use resources to just buy such a thing." Of course, a really good crafter-wizard would add stunts, perhaps switching magic item creation from crafts to lore, or maybe a stunt to offset penalties due to inadequate materials for some categories of thaumaturgy - "Yeah, I can make a tracking spell with some hair and a shoe string.  Gimme five minutes."

Backlash and Fallout: I don't see any need to include general rules for these; they'd normally fall into fate core's "succeed at a cost" option.
I'm also a little confused as to why you have create an advantage listed as lore - it doesn't seem to match the rest of the power (or DFRPG evocation, either...)

I do like your approach. Its very clean and simple. My only niggle is that in the books, evocation does tend to wear out spellcasters. Having Harry continuously blast opponents without signs of fatigue doesn't seem quite right to be, although I agree about fallout and backlash. Much easier solution.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 09:22:31 AM by Phantomdoodler »

Offline Phantomdoodler

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 08:13:26 AM »
So something like this, building upon all of your rules

Evocation
Permission:A high concept (or, with GM permission, other relevant aspect) indicating that you can work magic.
Limitations: Evocation should have some appropriate thematic limitations - perhaps you work with, say, just fire, force, and wind.  Work this out individually; a spellcaster whose paradigm is the eastern elements of Wood and Metal would be very different from a hippy wannabe-druid or a retired ectomancer, even if the power is mechanically the same. Each player must choose 3 elements to be able to use. Typically a character will be able to use three elements.

Effects:
Overcome: You may counterspell an existing situational aspect created by magic, opposing your Will against the Will of the spell caster, for evocation magic, or the spells casting roll for thaumaturgy spells (see below)
Create an Advantage: You may create an advantage with magic, using Will, Fight, or Shoot - though Will is limited to personal range aspects, Fight is limited to the zone you're in, and Shoot is generally limited to offensive effects - though subject to GM discretion; a wall of fire might be acceptable, for example, as it's thematically pretty similar to using a gun for a "covering fire" type of aspect.  As with ranged attacks, create an advantage takes a -1 penalty for each zone of range - again, this can be offset with appropriate focus items.
Attack: You may attack with magic using either Fight or Shoot skills, as appropriate.  Working magic at range is difficult, though; you're at -1 for each zone your target is away from you - though this can be offset with appropriate enchanted items.
Defend: You may defend yourself from attacks using your Will skill - if and only if you have an appropriate aspect placed on the scene, such as "wall of fire", "dome of force", "entropic shield", or the like.  (Note that this will usually apply only to physical combat... but only usually; for example, one could easily imagine a wall of fire justifying using Will to defend against an opponent's attempts to intimidate you.)

Enchanted items: You may create magical items, potions, weapons or items. You gain 2 Enchantment item slots which can be assigned as follows:
A focus item providing +1 bonus to a spellcasting action with an element/type, or +2 when using a specific spell (shield charm adding +1 to spirit defends, a blasting rod adding +1 to Fire attack rolls etc).
An item that has a Weapon rating of 1 for each slot assigned, when casting attack spells (blasting rod, staff)
An item with an Armour rating of 1 for each 2 slots assigned to it (a toughened duster)
An item permanently enchanted with a situational aspect, such as a penny farthing that has the Lightning speed aspect placed it on it. You gain 1 free invocation per session for each slot devoted to the item. Alternatively, each slot could be a potion- once drunk, the imbiber gains the aspect with one free invocation.

Some possible stunts:
Magic Utility Belt
You gain an additional 2 Enchantment slots
Magical Thug: For the cost of a point of mental stress, you can make a magical attack that counts as weapon rating two... or +1 weapon rating over whatever enchanted item you're using.
Reactive Shield: You've practiced to the point where you can raise a particular type of shield with a thought; you don't need an established aspect in order to defend yourself with Will.  (But you do still need appropriate justification - a force shield is unlikely to protect you from much in the way of social or mental attacks, for example.)
Focus, Focus, Focus: As long as you have an appropriate focus item in hand, you may use Will instead of Shoot for ranged attacks or create an advantage actions using magic.
Burn It All Down: +1 to any attack or create an advantage action using fire magic... but if you fail by two or more, the GM gets to place a scene aspect as the poorly controlled spell sets something else on fire.  And yes, the GM gets a free tag on that, too.

Thaumaturgy
Permission:A high concept (or, with GM permission, other relevant aspect) indicating that you can work magic.
Limitations: Thaumaturgy allows you to do pretty much anything. If you wish to play a focused practitioner, with only knowledge of a single type of thaumaturgy, or a narrow theme, you gain +1 with all uses of it.

Thaumaturgy is all about preparation and ritual. This is really a series of create advantage actions using appropriate skills (Lore to research or prepare the ritual, Scholar for mundane research, Resources to acquire ritual items, Contact and Rapport to seek help, Crafts to create ritual items, Burglary to acquire symbolic items, Survival to locate a good ritual site etc.). Once the preparations are complete (the physical construct) the spell must be cast. This requires a roll based on what you are trying to do; Rapport for Summoning, Will for Binding, Lore for Divination and Potions, Craft for Conjuring and Crafting Items, Deceit for Veils, Will for Wards, Provoke for Transformation and Disruption, Athletics for Transportation magic, Lore for Worldwalking. Obviously, this is likely to be high, especially for very powerful spells. If you are desperate, you may take consequences, adding the corresponding level to your total.

Casting Time: Thaumaturgy spells  take a little more time than evocation spells. Time must be spent to harness the energies in the spell. Each round you may channel a number of invocation bonuses equal to twice your Will. If you want to rush things, each additional +2 bonus will cost you 1 point of mental stress.

Disruption: If someone manages to destroy alter or damage your physical construct, or attack you while you are casting, things can get very messy indeed, resulting in uncontrolled magic spilling into the world, with the degree of destruction based on the power of the spell- use the current bonus being applied from invocations etc as a guide. The caster is likely to take this as shifts of Physical or mental damage

For example, Harry is attempting to prepare a tracking spell to find a lost child. This will require a Lore against a Legendary (+8) opposition. Harry needs at least one symbolic link for the spell, so he asks her parents to look around her room, using Investigate to create the aspect *Samantha's Hair, with two invocations. He then uses his Lore to first prepare the ritual space, and creates a *Circle of Chalk in an alleyway near the house, gaining a free invocation. He makes a Lore roll, using all three invocations, so he gets a total of 10. Until sundown, he will be able to track her whereabouts. Its getting late so he hits the streets....

Victor Sells wants to create a heart-exploding spell. The unfortunate target will have to make a Physique roll against his Will roll or suffer physical stress for each shift that gets through. To cast the spell, Sells will need to make a very high total (over 30) to guarantee killing the target , so he needs some serious research to pull this off. He is desperate so will take an extreme consequence *Power Mad which he can add 8 to the roll. He also takes *Bargain with a Demon, a severe consequence for another +6, and a moderate consequence *Trapped by the Storm, for another +4. He then uses Lore to create a *Ritual Circle (+4), Scholar to be in the right place for *Eye of the Storm (+2), Provoke to place *Emotional Trauma on his wife and the Beckitts (+6). Finally, he uses Lore to ritually kill a rabbit with a spoon, using *Dead Rabbit to gain a further +2, and a further +2 from *Victims Blood, an aspect he created earlier. Thats a healthy +34 bonus to the Will roll.With a Will of +3, Victor can safely channel +6 of bonuses each round- it will take him 6 rounds to cast the spell, assuming no meddling wizards disrupt his spell...

Enchanted items: You may create magical items, potions, weapons or items. You gain 2 Enchantment item slots which can be assigned as follows:
A focus item providing +1 bonus to a spellcasting action with an element/type, or +2 when using a specific spell (shield charm adding +1 to spirit defends, a blasting rod adding +1 to Fire attack rolls etc).
An item with an Armour rating of 1 for each 2 slots assigned to it (a toughened duster)
An item permanently enchanted with a situational aspect, such as a penny farthing that has the Lightning speed aspect placed it on it. You gain 1 free invocation per session for each slot devoted to the item. Alternatively, each slot could be a potion- once drunk, the imbiber gains the aspect with one free invocation.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 10:14:05 PM by Phantomdoodler »

Offline Troy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 02:25:45 PM »
That looks really neat.

I have an question or observation about Thaumaturgy. You say use Lore for Divination, Craft for Conjuring, Will for everything else. That's understandable. Why not use more Skills? A broader base of Skills?

I might do something different. Rapport for Summoning, Will for Binding, Lore for Divination and Potions, Craft for Conjuring and Crafting Items, Deceit for Veils, Will for Wards, Provoke for Transformation and Disruption, Athletics for Transportation magic, Lore for Worldwalking.

Thematic Thaumaturgy would have each practitioner of the Art sort of create their own path of magic. If an Ectomancer fancies themselves to be something like a ghost whisperer, helping to solve crimes and put the dead to rest, then they might use Empathy, Rapport, and Lore for their magic. If another Ectomancer sees themselves as Lord of the Dead, a necromancer in the dark sense of the word, their same spells might use Provoke, Will, and Lore instead. One uses their magic for cooperation, the other for domination.

That kind of set up might make Wizards a bit weaker because it hampers being equally good at all types of Thaumaturgy. It might make Focused Practitioners a bit stronger, too, as they can focus on being really good and one type of thing. Wizards on the other hand have the ability to become really good in a wide range of magical practices. That's a fair trade off, right? I sort of like the idea of different personalities having affinities for certain kinds of magic. There are people like Warden Luccio who are awesome at Crafting magics. She obviously favors the Craft Skill as well.

In that line of thinking, I might let each player of a spellcaster picks their own Skills for their magic based on the characters training and/or personality. This isn't to over-complicate things, but to give Wizards more than 3 Skills they might seek out to be their apex Skills. A rule of thumb would be that the Wizard explains how this fits into her worldview. Maybe it's how she was trained by a particular mentor or a specific school of magic. Maybe it's a rejection of those aforementioned institution to embrace something that sits better with his or her personality and ethical code. Harry Dresden, most likely, does not do magic like Uncle Justin. To prevent someone from having a single skill work for all their magic, I would have a rule that says something like, you can only use a Skill twice in your pantheon of magic. For example: If you use the Will Skill for Wards and for Veils, you can't use it for Binding, you'll have to use something else appropriate (like Provoke).

Also, was it your intention for Evocation to focus only on physical conflicts/combat? If that's the case, I gain some insight into the questions I have in my virginal thread on the forum.
Ragnarok:NYC
Come play a game in the Dresdenverse with us!
Find us on Skype! Contact LongLostTroy

Offline Phantomdoodler

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2013, 02:41:06 PM »
Yes more skills is great. I was going to expand those when I look at what exactly you can do with magic in more detail. Those skills work for me. Some very interesting ideas there. I love spellcaster's using bespoke skills, but i would love to keep your

Rapport for Summoning, Will for Binding, Lore for Divination and Potions, Craft for Conjuring and Crafting Items, Deceit for Veils, Will for Wards, Provoke for Transformation and Disruption, Athletics for Transportation magic, Lore for Worldwalking.

since that makes a lot of sense.

Regarding evocations, mostly yes, especially for damage. Quick counterspells and veils are possible with evocation, but I cant see placing mental aspects in people or inflicting mental stress - thats more thaumaturgy, in my opinion
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 02:57:13 PM by Phantomdoodler »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 06:05:27 AM »
I am confused. In your own post, you reduce your skills to 10 and

"If using this revision, divide everyone's number of skill points by 2 to keep things sane."

Yet you seem to be against me reducing the total skills to 20 and reducing skill points by 20%

I reduced the skill count by 60% and the skill point totals by 50%. If I had reduced the skill point totals by 60%, there would have been problems.

Similarly, there will be problems if you reduce the skill count and the skill point totals by 20%.

You should also read crusher_bob's posts later in the thread I linked. He points out how the changes I was suggesting can weaken characters, even though it theoretically offers more skill per character.

This is Fate cores list. I was just pointing out the changes they made. I cant take credit for that :)

Doesn't matter if it's default Fate Core or not. It's still probably not a good idea.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 02:53:05 PM »
Less Skills= More Better
Burglary and Stealth and can be rolled into one skill

Offline Troy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 03:49:46 PM »
I agree that consolidation of Skills is a good thing. When you do something like that would you also be mandated to decrease the amount of Skill Points you give you when creating a character? To put this in context... for a Dresden Files game, if you were to adopt PHYSIQUE (Might + Endurance), FIGHT (Fists + Weapons), drop Presence to split it up into RAPPORT and PROVOKE -- would you reduce Chest Deep from 30 Skill points to ... ? Or just keep it the same because the difference is negligible?
Ragnarok:NYC
Come play a game in the Dresdenverse with us!
Find us on Skype! Contact LongLostTroy

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 04:11:02 PM »
I agree that consolidation of Skills is a good thing. When you do something like that would you also be mandated to decrease the amount of Skill Points you give you when creating a character? To put this in context... for a Dresden Files game, if you were to adopt PHYSIQUE (Might + Endurance), FIGHT (Fists + Weapons), drop Presence to split it up into RAPPORT and PROVOKE -- would you reduce Chest Deep from 30 Skill points to ... ? Or just keep it the same because the difference is negligible?
I'd do less Skills points as well. Same with Refresh.
Stream Line that sucker.

Also less Dice Rolls unless the outcome Is Interesting.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2013, 04:30:48 PM »
I do like your approach. Its very clean and simple. My only niggle is that in the books, evocation does tend to wear out spellcasters. Having Harry continuously blast opponents without signs of fatigue doesn't seem quite right to be, although I agree about fallout and backlash. Much easier solution.
A reasonable niggle... but consider: Sprinting everywhere would tend to wear out a runner - but there's nothing in the fate core rules to enforce that.  If you wanted to make it very clear, though, you could add in a sentence like "Extended or continuous use of evocation tends to be exceptionally tiring compared to even strenuous physical activity; if this comes up in play, treat your effective endurance for spellcasting as your Will skill minus two."

Offline Phantomdoodler

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 07:24:03 PM »
I reduced the skill count by 60% and the skill point totals by 50%. If I had reduced the skill point totals by 60%, there would have been problems.

Similarly, there will be problems if you reduce the skill count and the skill point totals by 20%.

Err ok. So reducing skill count by 20%, Skill points by 16.7% (the same as your ratio), I am making that 17/21/25/29. I would still call that 20/20/25/30, just for easiness, but you could use those.

So I converted my players characters , using the reduced skills and skill points (Submerged 25 skills with 35 points, now 20 skills with 30 point chars) and it worked perfectly fine. Actually, I just translated the skills to the new ones, and in most cases the skill totals were around 30, give or take 1 or 2 points.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 07:32:31 PM by Phantomdoodler »