Author Topic: Factions For An Online DFRPG Chat  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Conor

• Participant
  • Never say "No" when you can say "Yes and".
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Sandbox
Factions For An Online DFRPG Chat
« on: April 19, 2013, 10:48:20 PM »
Hi folks,

We're thinking about some factions we'd like to have in our NYC modern-day DF game on gamingsandbox.com.

So far thinking White Court, White Council, Paranet, Winter Court, Summer Court...

You've got purely antagonistic factions like Black Court, Red Court, Denarians.

Something like Father Forthill ran with in the seventies too.

It's a lot of fun thinking about factions, but you folks have the experience, any fun factions you'd suggest and that are okay to use on our chat game?

Thanks a lot!

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Factions For An Online DFRPG Chat
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 01:38:35 AM »
I always like having a smallish ghoul gang that's associated with organized crime.  The syndicate uses the ghouls as body disposal.  Of course, the ghouls expect a quota and you don't want to piss them off...

Offline Conor

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Sandbox
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 02:12:32 PM »
I always like having a smallish ghoul gang that's associated with organized crime.  The syndicate uses the ghouls as body disposal.  Of course, the ghouls expect a quota and you don't want to piss them off...

Nice! Ghouls are great antagonists too.

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »

I really hope my GM doesn't see that one... In the campaign we have, we have a turfwar involving 2 different mexican gangs, russian maffia, italian maffia, irish maffia...  Did I mention our campaign takes place in Boston... 

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline Conor

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Sandbox
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 11:39:20 PM »
I really hope my GM doesn't see that one... In the campaign we have, we have a turfwar involving 2 different mexican gangs, russian maffia, italian maffia, irish maffia...  Did I mention our campaign takes place in Boston... 

/Ulfgeir

Ha! Yes, all organized crime stuff gets a lot more worrying once ghouls are on the table. Are the other gangs in your game supernatural-influenced at all?

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 10:35:36 AM »
Ha! Yes, all organized crime stuff gets a lot more worrying once ghouls are on the table. Are the other gangs in your game supernatural-influenced at all?

Not as far as we know...(I wouldn't be the least surprised though) But as of the latest session it is the two mexican gangs and the russian maffia that has divided up most of the city. They were the most violent and ruthless ones.  We have had most problems so far with various witches stirring up a LOT of trouble, and then trying to avoid the attention of the authorities (both mortal and supernatural. Let's just say that the FBI would be quite interested in having a "chat" with at least two of the characters in the group). 

The homepage for the campaign with chronicles etc are located here if you are interested. You get different views depending on wether or not you click on the menu-items or hover over them and expand that way. 4 different chronicles but 2 are in Swedish, the other 2 in English. Some locations haven't seen any play yet though.

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline Conor

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Sandbox
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 02:40:38 PM »
Sweet, thanks a lot Ulfgeir, it's cool to see a working example of a game all up and running.

Cool to see your city stuff too.
We're going to be a chat based game so likely to be quite a lot of players, I'm thinking I'd like to do some of the city creation stuff with a mixture of our GM staff and player input, a modified version of how it's done in the book.

Offline OwleIsohos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 02:43:30 PM »
I think it could be fun to have a Special Investigations unit of the NYPD. :)

Offline Conor

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Sandbox
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 02:46:04 PM »
Righton thankya OwleIsohos, had forgotten that one! That's definitely a fun area I want to open up for play.
Actually they're great value, they can be protagonists but they could also be really challenging antagonists when they're breathing down your neck but you can't do anything to them, because you know they're decent people trying to do a hard job.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 05:50:24 PM »
Speaking of Special Investigations, I always liked the covert gov'nt military group from Buffy the Vampire Slayer...I forget what they were called.  They'd hunt supers and take them down to do experiments on them.  All the soldiers were Jacked up on military "enhancement" drugs that gave them strength and speed and fast healing.  THeir base of opperations was in secret tunnels under the university.

Edit: they were called The Initiative
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 05:52:24 PM by Taran »

Offline Conor

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Sandbox
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 09:50:52 PM »
Speaking of Special Investigations, I always liked the covert gov'nt military group from Buffy the Vampire Slayer...I forget what they were called.  They'd hunt supers and take them down to do experiments on them.  All the soldiers were Jacked up on military "enhancement" drugs that gave them strength and speed and fast healing.  THeir base of opperations was in secret tunnels under the university.

Oh yeah those guys! They're not a million miles away from some of the NWoD Hunter groups in some ways huh. And for these guys it's true as well, they can really be protagonist, ally or antagonist very easily and interchangeably.

Offline Celebnasse

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 10:17:36 PM »

We have a faction exactly like them in our current game, but they are a private corporation instead of government funded.  They capture and experiment on supernaturals to try and duplicate their powers.

Offline Conor

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Sandbox
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 03:43:04 PM »
We have a faction exactly like them in our current game, but they are a private corporation instead of government funded.  They capture and experiment on supernaturals to try and duplicate their powers.

Ouch, yeah that's basically your worst nightmare (or one of them) if you're a supernatural...

Offline PatchR

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 04:56:06 PM »
Fellowship of St Giles.
A Marcone style criminal element
Monoc Security
Maybe a version of the fellowship for wc virgins.
Neighborhood watch type elements a la Alphas
Are the supes going to relocate to NYC or keep Edinburgh, Mexico,  Chicago. Etc
Administrator of Ragnorak NYC

Plays: Darius Caffrey

Offline Keryth

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 06:26:52 PM »
I'm currently running a campaign in NYC. The site with all the Factions, locations, faces, PC, session synopsis, and character journals is in my signature. Feel free to use whatever you want.
Shadows Over New York - A Dresden Files RPG Campaign with some added bonuses from Books, TV, and Movies.  http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york)