Author Topic: Fate Core Dresden Ideas  (Read 3807 times)

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Fate Core Dresden Ideas
« on: March 31, 2013, 07:31:13 PM »
I know there is a thread about this somewhere, but me and the search function don't get along (aka it hates me)

So
Ideas

1. Less Aspects
7 is too darn many.
So lets keep
High Concept and the Trouble. They work pretty well, and they are simple to use and simple to understand.
Then two more that flesh out your character
The last one, this is the one I know I will get the most flak about which leads me to

It's too many to keep track of as a GM (3-5 players each with 7 Aspects, plus any scene aspects, stick aspects, city aspects, theme aspects, and the NPCS aspects is too many) Also after 3-4 they start to lose their "bite"

2. Drop the Guest Star Aspects
Instead of complicating character creation with somehow tying everyone to everyone else. Make your last Aspect tie into the game you are playing. So tie it to the City Aspect, or City Threat.

Example You are playing in a game where you are the Justice League and you are fighting Darksied. You play Batman, and the other two players are Aquaman and Plastic man
Batman
High Concept: Millionaire Playboy who dresses like a Bat and fights crime (or something along those lines)
Trouble: My Parents are Dead
Aspect: Where does he get those wonderful toys
Aspect: I'm the God D*mn Batman
Campaign Aspect: A Man among Gods

IF we did it the Dresden Files current way I would have to tie an Aspect to Plastic Man, and another to Aquaman. Meaning my Plastic man Aspect would be as important as the one that deals with my parents death. Thats nonsense.

3. Mental, Physical, and Social? Social and Mental need to be smashed together. Social Stresses could be better used as Sticky Aspects placed on Characters "Destroyer of the Red Court" or "That rude guy"

4. I really like contests in the Fate Core, and would love for them to be used in a new Dresden game. I also would like to steal, I mean pay homage, to Diasporas Social Conflict map. As is in the game, Social Conflict between characters means jacking them up. Which is nonsense. If I disagree with my friend about what movie to see it doesn't involve my scaring them for life so I can watch Kangaroo Jack (which is already scaring for life)

5. Magic. Um...to say the Magic system can get complicated, is well, um yeah. So feel free to add what you want to see in magic here.

6. Stress boxes. I'm mixed on this. I like that you can be taken out easily. I just don't like that if I have open stress boxes you can still be taken out. Hmmm.. Maybe it's fine the way it is.

7. Skill problems.
-Oh you took Performance at a +5, because you are a great actor. Now you're going to tell this guy a lie, roll me deceit. Why couldn't I roll Performance instead? Anyone? Maybe make some sort of buy in when it comes to skills? As I see it now, not all skills are not created equal.

8. Don't make me roll if it's not interesting.

Anyway, thats my ramble, I'm sure I can come up with more

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Fate Core Dresden Ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 07:41:01 PM »
8. Don't make me roll if it's not interesting.

That's actually in DF the rules already.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 07:44:41 PM »
That's actually in DF the rules already.

Then they are breaking their own rules.

I should edit it to say "Don't make me roll unless it's interesting and their are success and failures with that roll that are interesting"

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 08:12:13 PM »
I think a lot of those things will be done pretty much like that in the accelerated version, though that will be a while.

Two things:
5. Magic. Um...to say the Magic system can get complicated, is well, um yeah. So feel free to add what you want to see in magic here.
I would simply make it a power to allow you to attack, defend and maneuver with magic. I had done a crude version of this already during a discussion in another thread, where I tried to divide evocation into 1 refresh powers. Ah, found it.

(click to show/hide)

7. Skill problems.
-Oh you took Performance at a +5, because you are a great actor. Now you're going to tell this guy a lie, roll me deceit. Why couldn't I roll Performance instead? Anyone? Maybe make some sort of buy in when it comes to skills? As I see it now, not all skills are not created equal.
That's looking at it the wrong way, I think. I would certainly allow someone to use performance here, if he was trying to convince someone of a carefully prepared lie. But if he was trying to come up with something on the spot, I would have him roll deceit. Or maybe performance limited by deceit. However, I think delivery of a lie can definitely be covered by performance. This could even be one of those times, where the character falls back on the scene from that audition he had a while back, which had a similar scene. It's all about how you go about it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 08:46:15 PM by Haru »
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 08:33:25 PM »
@Haru
You've got what appear to be some copy-pasting errors in the enhanced maneuvers, and possibly elsewhere.
By the same logic that is used to allow +2 to the accuracy of the enhanced attack, the stress, maneuver, and block boosters should provide more than they do.

@fanta
I'm not sure what you're getting at, because I recall that to be essentially the explicit rule already.
I suspect this may be an issue with a failure to implement that rule sufficiently in games you've been involved with.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 08:40:23 PM »
Oh right. No, it's not a copy-paste error, this is how I wrote it up back then. Never really got back to testing or revisiting it.

You're right, maneuvers and blocks should probably not cost any stress then. I'll edit it. More than a +2 bonus is a bit much, I think.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 08:43:18 PM »
Oh right. No, it's not a copy-paste error, this is how I wrote it up back then. Never really got back to testing or revisiting it.

It looks like a copy-paste error from the original version.
The maneuver-boosting power talks about blocks.
Slough

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 08:46:58 PM »
Ah, there it is. I really didn't see that. Thanks.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 09:03:32 PM »
Combining Social and Mental stress tracks is... problematic. I'd much rather see a rework of the social combat system that makes the social track more prominently important like Physical and Mental tracks are.

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 11:23:34 PM »
Then they are breaking their own rules.

I should edit it to say "Don't make me roll unless it's interesting and their are success and failures with that roll that are interesting"

How are they breaking their own rules?
Quote from: YS192
The dice only come
out when there is an interesting challenge with
meaningful consequences.
There's also an almost ˝ page long margin note about how important that part is.

Quote from: YS309
You want to make sure that both
outcomes are interesting—though “interesting”
isn’t the same as “good.”
Again highlighting that if there's no interesting result from both results of the roll, don't call for one!

If your GM doesn't follow that, take that up with your GM. That kind of thing can't really be worked into the rules other than through repeating the message above.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 12:49:29 AM »
How are they breaking their own rules?There's also an almost ˝ page long margin note about how important that part is.
Again highlighting that if there's no interesting result from both results of the roll, don't call for one!

If your GM doesn't follow that, take that up with your GM. That kind of thing can't really be worked into the rules other than through repeating the message above.

I see it a lot in the magic system, I'll post more later

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 02:35:33 AM »
The magic system has an issue with the result of your roll? How?

Also the aspect that you derive from guest star aspects isn't necessarily related to the person, it's related to the situation. In fact you could probably get that same aspect in your example when batman guest stars in superman's story with the green lantern or really any non mortal.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 04:53:20 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Are you still working on this? Because although it does need work, I think I see the potential for an interesting Incite Effect-like Power.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 02:55:50 PM »
Are you still working on this? Because although it does need work, I think I see the potential for an interesting Incite Effect-like Power.
Hmm, kind of. I had it in the back of my head ever since the first crude version here, and it came back when I posted this here. I know some things I would change now for sure. If you like, I'll open a new topic so we can work on it, so we don't derail this thread too much. I'd certainly like your input.

Offline Dougansf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 02:58:53 PM »
We're currently running a Dresden Core game with some hybrid rules we've put together.  I like what I see above, so I'd like to see / help with more.