Author Topic: Damage from enchanted items?  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Damage from enchanted items?
« on: March 27, 2013, 06:23:42 PM »
One of my players is playing a wizard for the first time in our campaign, so we're a bit fuzzy.

He had a four-shift enchanted item that he threw at my mooks and won the roll by six shifts. Now, is that ten damage or four? I thought shifts added like with anything else, but he thought it was just four stress, period.

Ruling? If possible, direct me to a page number in YS? Thanks all!
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: Damage from enchanted items?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 06:27:53 PM »
It's ten. When attacking, the difference in the rolls is added to the weapon rating.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 06:31:44 PM »
Rather, if using the item required an attack roll, then that attack roll has the capacity to contribute to stress inflicted (and in this case, did).

It is possible to create an enchanted item that attacks without requiring a roll on the part of the user, simulating a 'bottled' Thaumaturgy attack, but that wouldn't have a weapon rating, and is typically... less than optimal. (it's also irrelevant to this case, as an attack roll was required, or at least made; I just thought it was interesting to note)
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 06:34:45 PM »
The example in the enchanted item section can be interpreted either way, but I'm with those above. If it has an attack roll, that roll can contribute to the stress the attack inflicts.

Or look at it that way: the enchanted item is kind of like a rote spell, only you don't need to pay any stress when using it. You don't need to roll to see if you can control the spell, but you need to roll to target it.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal