Author Topic: Invoking your own consequences?  (Read 4033 times)

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Invoking your own consequences?
« on: March 11, 2013, 02:43:22 PM »
I've been thinking a bit, but I can't find anything in YS about it:

Consquences are temporary Aspects, right? So it should be possible to invoke one for a bonus?

Of course it would be very hard to justify invoking a physical consequence during a fistfight, but how about a "Bruised" consequence when trying to puppy-eye manipulate someone into letting you in "because I really need the company, and I don't feel safe at my place"?

Or a character with regular aspects representing a short fuse "ending" a social/mental conflict by taking a consequence "At the point of violence"; followed by throwing a punch tagging the consequence?

I can't find a rule against it, and as long as they make narrative sense I figure it's green; but on the other hand consequences are there to represent damage you've taken and as such is a hindrance, not a boon.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Invoking your own consequences?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 02:55:49 PM »
If the situation fits you can certainly invoke it.  Aspects are out there to be used!
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 02:57:18 PM »
There should be no and is no rule against spending FPs to invoke your own aspects if you can arrive at a sufficiently compelling justification as to why they would benefit you in a particular circumstance.  They are aspects like any other, they just tend towards favouring punitive effects in terms of ease of narrative justification (and reinforce this by providing a tag to the individual inflicting them).

Edit: or, more succinctly, what UmbraLux said
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 03:16:33 PM »
Invoking yes, tagging no.

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 03:54:24 PM »
Ah, check!

Thanks for the input!

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 04:59:48 PM »
Of course you can, but it costs a FP, just like any other aspect. 

Tags are only for the character who created the aspect.  So if you hurt yourself, sure. 

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 06:27:34 PM »
Yeah, you can invoke any aspect if you can sell it--I've had wizards invoke their own consequences for power to their spells, for example, saying they're boosting the power by tapping into the anger and pain of the injury.

I've also had it happen where someone invokes a Severe consequence against an enemy to say things like, "Well, with his sword stuck in my gut, he's at point blank range and can't dodge my shotgun," and getting a bonus that way.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 06:43:31 PM »
@Mr.Death
A good ol Sheath the Blade-type move eh? If someone is willing to get stabbed over it, works for me!

@All
Wouldn't invoking a physical consquence also work in regards to say, blood magic or empowering curses etc. I mean, that is essentially how wizard's get the juice for their death curses after all.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 06:58:11 PM »
Of course.  If you want to deal a consequence to yourself, you get that tag.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 09:27:05 PM »
Of course.  If you want to deal a consequence to yourself, you get that tag.

I don't think so.

Taking consequences to fuel spellcasting is strong enough without an extra +2.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 09:37:31 PM »
I think he means afterward. Certainly you can't tag an aspect with the same action that's causing it, but in a subsequent action you could.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 09:42:39 PM »
Still.

Taking consequences for spellcasting is really powerful without tags. No need to make it more powerful by giving it tags.

I hear people claim that magic is overpowered all the time. So I find it really puzzling that people tend to be so generous with their interpretations of its rules.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 09:47:21 PM »
I just tend to interpret fuelling the spell in the first place as what is consuming the tag and leave it at that.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 10:19:45 PM »
@All
My math on this is a little fuzzy at the moment and I haven't had a chance to review it in the book but - if you're taking it as a consquence that the spell would get the value of the consquence in shifts. Hence the power hence the lack of the tag...right?

Because if it's just - take the injury, treat as a normal aspect then why wouldn't it get the take and the duration of the consquence to spend FP on it to generate power? (Other than it being a powerful way to make magic even more power.)

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
Still.

Taking consequences for spellcasting is really powerful without tags. No need to make it more powerful by giving it tags.

I hear people claim that magic is overpowered all the time. So I find it really puzzling that people tend to be so generous with their interpretations of its rules.

YS98:
On any aspect you create or discover in a scene, get the first invocation for free (as in, without spending any fate points).

Unless you find a specific rule which overrides this, then you get the free tag on your consequences.  Spellcasting is overpowered, but that's not a reason to ignore a rule and say you're not.  What I'm stating is not a "generous interpretation" but RAW, printed in black and white.

Non-spellcasters can do this too.