Author Topic: How should I go about this?  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Magickal_Grenadier

• Participant
  • Oh, what fresh hell is this?
    • View Profile
How should I go about this?
« on: February 26, 2013, 11:39:11 PM »
Tomorrow our group meets to run the next session of our D&D campaign and I want to try to better explain DFRPG to them so we can possibly get to work on running a couple of the pregenerated casefiles to get them familiarized with how things work. None of the players have read any of the DF books as of yet but the little bits I told them about last week, the Vamp and Faerie Courts, seemed to interest them.

So to get to the point, how should I explain DFRPG without giving away too much of the story?
My Dresden Files purity rating is 43%

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together

Dr.FunLove

Re: How should I go about this?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 11:48:33 PM »
Magickal - I personally like DFRPG for the sandbox (which you've teased) and because I think it's a good vehicle to tell the story. I like the Fate-system and I think Aspects are the bomb. So for those of your players that might be more system junkies, I would hit them with some of the crunch in the system. For the ones that like to tell stories - play up the Aspects.

Or just sit them all down and ambush them with DFRPG...that could work too...

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 12:38:37 AM »
I sat down with 6 hard core 4th Ed players and ran them a pre  gen adventure of my own making.  Pre done characters with a quick summary of what their aspects represented so that they could role play them better.  Feet in the water.  I gave them an aspect cheat sheet ahead of time and gave them a very quick summary of how exchanges work.  Then I started my adventure with a combat and compelled the hell out of them.

They absolutely loved it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 12:40:49 AM by Taran »

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 01:06:05 AM »
Nice Taran!

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 02:39:34 AM »
I've done the following with my games:

For a convention game, I handed everyone their sheets, explained to them what Aspects were, and went from there. The group, mostly D&D players, got into it VERY quickly when they realized that what they said impacted what they did. It was BRILLIANT.

For my mainstay game, I had newbie, a WoD player, and two 3rd Edition players. After character creation and getting them rolling, they are loving it. It took some time for the 3E players to warm up, but once they started to get compelled (and compelling in return!), and realizing how they can invoke their own aspects as needed, they started asking me for pointers for their own games.

Finally, my challenge group: a table of all D&D players, specifically 3.5. We've had two "sessions." The first was character creation, which they got into very quickly and began to play off of one another, and realized that it was easier with Fate than it was with D&D.
Then we got to gaming, and they enjoyed it. There were a few aspects, some rolling, but once again, once they realized that ideas and descriptions could help with rolls, they got RIGHT into it.

So, basically, present them with what they are familiar with (teamwork, in my cases) and promote the concept of utilizing Aspects. If they don't eat it up like candy, I don't know what will help.
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Magickal_Grenadier

• Participant
  • Oh, what fresh hell is this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 06:39:37 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas everyone. The group is meeting tomorrow to continue our D&D campaign and I'm going to see about running Night Fears as an introductory crash course on Dresden. Any last minute advise?
My Dresden Files purity rating is 43%

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together