Author Topic: Killing a Black Court Elder- an intra party dilemma  (Read 7887 times)

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Killing a Black Court Elder- an intra party dilemma
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 12:12:44 AM »
If you can call a BCV an ally without having your soul commit seppukku.

Well, you could be profoundly ignorant and naive (and wrong), like the werewolf character described above.  The lack of familiarity with what BCVs really are combined with a backstory that makes the werewolf trust a BCV over a Summer Court PC(!) is a giant "Kick Me" sign on her back...just with, like, exponents.

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
  • Zealotry in the cause of Justice is no vice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 06:14:59 AM »
I'd kill the vampire. You've said that you'll be friends after, so no foul there. Could your character live with himself if he missed this chance to rid the world of that undead filth?
Morgan would have done it in 15 books.

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 04:13:07 PM »
Going through with what I had in mind (opening the coffin and exposing the Vampire to sunlight) would lead to physical conflict, possibly resulting in one or two dead player characters.

Well, the rules will only take a PC out. It takes players to kill them. And they have the ability to concede before that right?

I'm having trouble seeing the issue, actually. Have the epic battle and then assess if the story is over or if there's any more meat in the campaign once the dust settles.

Magicpockets

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 07:54:44 PM »
Ok, here are some updates on the situation:
-The DM is heavily opposed to letting dicerolls decide the situation, and unless all players agree, combat won't happen.
-The DM, when in doubt, will side with the majority of players. Which means against me.
-The annihilation of the Black Court is seen as "genocide". Don't know what to say about that.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 08:02:52 PM »
I...dont like your gm....

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 08:05:39 PM »
It is genocide of a sort...though as the Summer Knight you're not nesscarily concerned about the survival of other supernatural beings just your own Court eh? I might have missed it...but why is your group wanting to prevent this vampire's demise?

Magicpockets

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 08:15:09 PM »
I...dont like your gm....

He really isn't a bad guy, and is awesome to play with. It's just some decisions that tend to blindside me.

It is genocide of a sort...though as the Summer Knight you're not nesscarily concerned about the survival of other supernatural beings just your own Court eh? I might have missed it...but why is your group wanting to prevent this vampire's demise?

Werewolf: the Rukh is her friend and lover, and from her PoV, the feeling seems genuine and mutual.
Arms Dealer: He fears the conflict will escalate to encompass all Vampire courts, and in turn target his wife, who is an Infected.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 08:24:07 PM »
Ok, here are some updates on the situation:
-The DM is heavily opposed to letting dicerolls decide the situation, and unless all players agree, combat won't happen.
-The DM, when in doubt, will side with the majority of players. Which means against me.
-The annihilation of the Black Court is seen as "genocide". Don't know what to say about that.

So where are all the compels?

You should get oodles of FP's for being forced to act against what you think your character should do, especially if your GM is going "majority rules" which seems unfair...or you should get oodles of FP's to be compelled to do what you think your character should do. 

EIther way, you should get oodles of FP's.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 08:34:01 PM »
I agree with Taran on the Compels.

The other characters seem to have good (if misguided reasons) for wanting to let her live. Take some Fate for compels if your group/GM wants you helping them if not...your character has to do what he has to do!

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 10:46:57 PM »
Well i am going off of that one thing that you said he did. But yes if it ends up that way you should get fate points. Also I still dont understand why the arms dealer thinks his wife will be targeted. She is only infected and as far as i can tell nobody could force her into something even if she is infected.
(click to show/hide)
It may even benefit him to rid the world of reds, since they are responsible for trying to turn his wife, and she could turn at any moment.

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 11:11:38 PM »

This is an attitude I've seen on the forums before.  I think it develops out of an unconscious belief that True Evil is an impossible concept, to the point that it can't even exist in a fictional(!) universe.  100% of the evidence from the books and JB's commentary lead directly to the conclusion that exterminating every last BCV would be a Good Thing of the highest order--and yet you will still get some people who insist on forcing a morally degenerate "coexist" solution to the Always Chaotic Evil monsters.

At least your werewolf player was only accidentally set up such that the most logical decisions lead to the worst outcomes, rather than intentionally.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 11:16:45 PM »
@Vairelome
As someone that believes in relative morality and that this applies even to so-called evil in the novels, I can see how people might believe this (both in and out of character). Ultimately, the novels and the opinions espoused are from one (fairly limited) viewpoint, and therefore we as players in that sandbox should feel free to view these things as we will.

We humans live with moral degeneracy among us all the time...just because it is in the body of a rotting corpse that drinks blood doesn't mean killing it off is an automatic. Everyone at Magicpockets table needs to play to their characters and if the Spring Knight can't convince everyone to help him take off the vampire's head then the Spring Knight will need to do what he needs to do (with Fate points involved, of course)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 11:19:00 PM by Dr.FunLove »

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 02:19:57 AM »
so-called evil

I think this speaks for itself.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 03:12:01 AM »
@Vairelome
...?

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 03:20:25 AM »
I would say that the one court that, upon meeting/making eye contact with you, either-
-Kills you for no reason
-Drinks all your blood, killing you
-Turns you into a fellow undead horror
-destroys your mind and consigning you to a psychic slavery and a slow death

isn't really worth saving. I would have zero moral scruples with the genocide of the Black Court, but there might be ramifications similar to the death of the Red Court, which nobody wants. So you might face opposition on that count. If your players are on the fence, just have some Venator who lost a loved one/family member/childhood friend to the Black Court detail some of their atrocities.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.