Author Topic: Players Compelling Other Players  (Read 5240 times)

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
  • Zealotry in the cause of Justice is no vice...
    • View Profile
Players Compelling Other Players
« on: February 16, 2013, 07:45:41 PM »
So something I've never heard or read about has been happening at my table. My players have started to compel each other. It's in situations where they feel like there is a more...dramatic choice to be made. Now I will admit every single one of us is either a Drama Major or a Drama Minor when we were still in school. I feel like I'm handing out a lot of FATE points. Even with a refresh rate of 2-5 most people spend their time at 9-14. Now I don't have a problem with this in theory. I'm just concerned that maybe I'm not doing my job of doing enough compelling or creating interesting situations.

Do players do this in other games? 
Morgan would have done it in 15 books.

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Players Compelling Other Players
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 07:54:35 PM »
Nothing wrong with players compelling eachother.  It fits the co-op storytelling style of Fate.  Just remember all compels still need GM approval.  If your players are regularly sitting on 10+ fate points, I would suggest throwing more situations that force them to use FP and/or giving the compels more teeth.  Your players will be less eager to go compel crazy if they know they are going to really suffer for their FP's.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 08:06:38 PM »
If they're compelling each other shouldn't they be offering their own FP for it rather than drawing from the GM pile?

I mean, player 1 is about to kill an enemy but player 2 thinks it would be more interesting if the bad guy started recurring so he Compels 1's "Not a Killer" Aspect.  1 accepts the Compel and gets the FP from 2, not the GM.

It feels like that's how it should go since when players compel NPCs they pay a FP to the NPC to make it happen.

Then again, maybe it doesn't make much of a difference where the FP are coming from as long as the game stays awesome.

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 08:18:47 PM »
They are using their own Fate Points. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 08:30:07 PM »
Honestly, if they take time to make a Declaration or Assessment, they shouldn't even need to use their own. This whole thing's sorta built into the rules already...

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 08:36:33 PM »
They're using each others aspects though...they're not assessing each other or making declarations. They know each others aspects like I do...and they're using them.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 12:17:59 AM »
Perfectly fine. I did that in my games. It's fun. We do it that you don't have to be in the scene either. If the compel makes sense then we use it

Offline lance_work

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 12:42:06 AM »
How is it that they have so many fate points?  You said they all have a refresh of 2 - 5.  If they are compelling each other's aspects, aren't they just trading the same number of fate points around the table?  How in the world did they all end up with 10+ fate points unless you gave them to them?  If you gave them to them, then they didn't come from compelling other players.  It doesn't make sense.

What makes sense is that you started giving fate points to the compelled character without forcing the compelling character to give up their fate point. 

If that's not what happened, then please tell me how the number of player held fate points exploded.  I'd love to know.  I'm just a part-time player in a DFRPG game, so I don't know the rules as well as I'd like.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 12:48:18 AM »
Self compels, GM compels. He said they are theater majors so they probably get a lot of self compels. He was just starting that they are also starting to compel each other. At least that's what I read

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 01:03:14 AM »
Players compelling each other is explicitly okay in the rulebook.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 01:50:52 AM »
Also the compelled player gets a FP, he doesn't give one up unless he refuses the Compel.

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 04:22:17 AM »
But the Player that Compels another is the one to pay the Compel point; that's the point (sorry) being made.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 05:07:11 AM »
Players compelling each other is explicitly okay in the rulebook.
I must have missed it. I feel much better.

How is it that they have so many fate points?  You said they all have a refresh of 2 - 5.  If they are compelling each other's aspects, aren't they just trading the same number of fate points around the table?  How in the world did they all end up with 10+ fate points unless you gave them to them?  If you gave them to them, then they didn't come from compelling other players.  It doesn't make sense.

What makes sense is that you started giving fate points to the compelled character without forcing the compelling character to give up their fate point. 

If that's not what happened, then please tell me how the number of player held fate points exploded.  I'd love to know.  I'm just a part-time player in a DFRPG game, so I don't know the rules as well as I'd like.
It's like Laveki said. I try to hand out lots and lots of FP.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 05:07:18 AM »
But the Player that Compels another is the one to pay the Compel point; that's the point (sorry) being made.
No, the GM is ALWAYS the one to broker (and pay) Compels.
Players may trigger a compel by invoking-for-effect, paying a FP (or tag) to the GM, but after that, it is between the GM and the Compelled character's player.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 06:46:03 PM »
Compelling Other Aspects, YS107.
If you are aware of and can access an aspect on another character or NPC, you may spend a fate point to try to trigger the circumstances of a compel...