Author Topic: Players Compelling Other Players  (Read 5325 times)

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Players Compelling Other Players
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 06:49:14 PM »
No, the GM is ALWAYS the one to broker (and pay) Compels.
Players may trigger a compel by invoking-for-effect, paying a FP (or tag) to the GM, but after that, it is between the GM and the Compelled character's player.
Exactly.  While this may seem like semantics, it's an important point because it means the players can never cut the GM out of the compel interactions.  A GM always has the right to veto a compel suggested by any player, and the player who triggered the compel has no further say in the negotiation of the compel.  Which if your players have a surplus of FP, I would highly suggest being very strict on the compels until they start sing the fate points.

It s a blind suggestion, but to the OP I would say you way want to curb how many fate points you're handing out.  FP surplus means either you create a baloon effect in your game, or the players steamroll everything.

My personal GM method is to generally keep the players below their FP refresh level by the end of the session.  If they want to save up FP they have to really hang on to them. 

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 06:51:36 PM »
Compelling Other Aspects, YS107.

Right, but that just triggers it. Once triggered, it's between the GM and that character...which means the GM gets any FP the player spends to avoid it, and the FP doesn't actually go from one player to another per se even if they go with the Compel, the Compelling player gives one to the GM and the Compelled player gets one from the GM. It's, mechanically speaking, not the same FP.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 04:01:20 PM »
I've started creating absurdly difficult situations for players to use their surplus FPs on, or give them real incentive to want to REALLY succeed, rather than scathe by.

But my general rule of thumb is, if PCs don't have at least one full stress track or a consequence by the end of a combat, I'm taking it too easy on them.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 11:05:07 PM »
A compel should COMPLICATE the player accepting the compel.  If they're sitting on all those FP's, they must have a lot of complicated stuff happening because each one of those FP's represents some kind of head-ache the player needs to deal with

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 11:15:43 PM »
Nah, you can grant them simply for good rping but you can also grant them for if they stuck to their guns really good (ie I have to get to that place by this time but that lady is being attacked and I have the HC Savior)

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 11:19:06 PM »
Nah, you can grant them simply for good rping but you can also grant them for if they stuck to their guns really good (ie I have to get to that place by this time but that lady is being attacked and I have the HC Savior)
Well, mainly if it's that good roleplaying and sticking to of guns does complicate things--in the latter case, he should only get a fate point if being late to that place cost him something.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
Well, mainly if it's that good roleplaying and sticking to of guns does complicate things--in the latter case, he should only get a fate point if being late to that place cost him something.

Or necessitated effort and rolls to not cost him something, anyway. Compels complicate things...but it's perfectly acceptable to manage to, say, talk your way out of said situation with a bunch of Rapport rolls that you wouldn't have needed to make sans Compel. Or fight your way through a Compel-created fight without a scratch.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 01:43:14 PM »
If you're a knight of the Cross, helping a lady in distress isn't really much of a reason to get a FP since that's what you'd do anyways.

Putting yourself at a disadvangtage to help said lady would though:

throwing yourself in front of an attack to defend her or
Stopping to defend her when you should be chasing the bad guy who's getting away.

Also, it's my opionion...but not everyone's, so take this with a grain of salt...that if the players are hording FP's it's because they're not feeling challenged.  When I, personally, horde FP's it's because I don't think there's a reason to use 'em.  That not using them will have no detrimental effect.

Now, if they're using FP's AND they still have tonnes, then it's because the GM likes to give out lots.  But that is a GMing preference and not necessarily good or bad.

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
  • Zealotry in the cause of Justice is no vice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 05:41:37 PM »
I like to make things go wrong and put my players in difficult situations constantly. They respond by waiting until a "set piece" scene and then going hog-wild. We had a scene on friday where collectively they spent over 20.
Morgan would have done it in 15 books.

Offline fedosu

• Lurker
  • Pulp isn't Fiction, it's Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 06:18:35 PM »
Yeah, and it was really freaking epic.

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 06:21:28 PM »
Just wait for Friday. The session starts with the Amps turned up to 11.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 06:37:53 PM »

Everyone is having fun, So it seems to me that you're running it fine.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 06:42:55 PM »
That's how I tend to do it--our games tend to run long, so each character generally ends up with one or two compels per session. Some of them are snakebit by the dice and have to spend them like candy, but a couple others get lucky and end the scenario with 7-10 in hand, which either leads to me engineering the final conflict to make them spend them to survive, or things like a cop nearly cutting a Black Court Rukh in half with a shotgun and a wizard vaporizing a local White Court warlord with the heat of 1000 suns.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 07:48:56 PM »
We have one player who spends his FP on things that just won't happen...like trying to convince Summer to work hand in hand with winter when going against a social combat machine. He spends the rest buying out of Compels and usually finds himself running at about 0 or 1.  Compared to everyone else running around ten.

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
We have had a few compels between players in our campaign. But noone has a lot of fatepoints. I think the person with the most availiable has 4. Most of us are at 1 or 2. But then we started at 6 (those of us that write chronicles for the campaign got an extra). We have now in the campaign after 3 long adventures had a major milestone and gotten an extra fp each.

Of course some of the aspects that some characters have make it very easy for us or the gm to create havoc..
* The changeling has "What could possibly go wrong?". I think he also had "I dare you..."
* The genie has "Monkey in the works". Yes she used to have a real monkey as her master...

And so on.

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...