Author Topic: Women, start your...er, I mean...question....  (Read 8892 times)

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
Re: Women, start your...er, I mean...question....
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 04:00:24 PM »
...it's like trying to wrestle two waterballoons with a paperclip...

*snorting Mountain Dew through my nose*

Offline Morgana leFay

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 04:11:04 PM »
Well, what if she wasn't wearing a bra? :P

Have you thought about 'Ask Bob'?  I'm sure he could help. ::)

Offline loulou

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 06:03:12 PM »
I would say "fastener".
"Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me!"

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2007, 06:07:26 PM »
Can't wait to hear the Bobs reply!

I wonder if it's a regional dialect thing.  Here in the Midwest, I'm pretty sure we use hooks and they come front and back.  I'm pretty sure that Fonsy in Happy Days was "unhooking" the bra in the boys restroom, wasn't he?  

Make it easy and give her (if not an overly abundant chested woman) a camisole that she can easily pull downwards or lift up.   :D

"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2007, 11:01:27 PM »
The character's an FBI agent, in an oxford-style blouse and black jacket.

My girlfriend's rather fond of corsets ;)
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline SwordofCharity

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 01:07:33 AM »
And if you post tomorrow, we'll know she let you live.  ;D

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 02:10:19 AM »
In your dreams, no corset for FBI, she's be tossed before she hit the front door.  Breasts don't exist on FBI or Secret Service.  Just went to a Hillary & Bill rally---no evidence of any desire to be noticable as a woman except she was allowed to have her hair long and straight and not tied back (very Murphy like actually)!  I'd go with a sports bra or the camisole.. 

I'm 50's woman with two adult kids.  Didn't know it would bother me so much to see a young woman Secret Service agent non-stop scouting the crowd.  I've seen the men all the time, but to see a young woman my daughter's age right by them both and to think she would take a bullet.  Ah, it sent my heart into my throat.

I'm old enough to have toured the FBI headquarters in Washington DC (age 10 maybe) and after getting excited about how cool all this was, at the end of the tour they informed everyone that women were NOT accepted.  Thank God that changed, but still to see someone's daughter out there in front of a crowd that wasn't prepped through any metal detectors, no background checks or anything..... 

No way would I hold her back, but I wouldn't sleep well at night if my daughter signed up.   :-\

"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline CarolM

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob, Forever with us
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 06:01:06 AM »
Didn't know it would bother me so much to see a young woman Secret Service agent non-stop scouting the crowd.  I've seen the men all the time, but to see a young woman my daughter's age right by them both and to think she would take a bullet.  Ah, it sent my heart into my throat.

I'm old enough to have toured the FBI headquarters in Washington DC (age 10 maybe) and after getting excited about how cool all this was, at the end of the tour they informed everyone that women were NOT accepted.  Thank God that changed, but still to see someone's daughter out there in front of a crowd that wasn't prepped through any metal detectors, no background checks or anything..... 

No way would I hold her back, but I wouldn't sleep well at night if my daughter signed up.   :-\

I fell the same about this as I do about the military, why would I be more frightened that my daughters would get hurt than I would if they were sons? The dangers aren't that much different. Are they? And dead is dead whichever sex you were.
I admit I wouldn't really be keen on my daughters joining MI5 or MI6, not that either of their careers seem to be going that way (as far as I can tell ;D). My eldest is a Civil Servant in Whitehall, and she did goto Cambridge which used to be the usual place to recruit spies. I don't think I'll ask her about though. She's deny it anyway. Right? ;) ;D
Carol

Bob: in our hearts forever.

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 09:23:49 PM »
Clarification...my girlfriend is rather fond of corsets for herself.

Not said character.

We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline Buttersfly

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2007, 02:21:29 PM »
If I read "fastener" in a bra description, I'd get a visual of the hooks and eyes in the back, so that's potentially confusing.

How about "right between the cups" (though this may be an inch low for you) or "just above the tiny satin ribbon" (even though most bras don't have these anymore) or "right above the center of my bra" (KIS)? 
You could conduct a study in a lingerie department and possibly use "just above the LaPerla [or other brand] logo." 
"But writing is different because you do not have to learn or practise it and it is more tempermental because practising seems to take all the temperment out of me."  --Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2007, 03:51:55 PM »
Clarification...my girlfriend is rather fond of corsets for herself.

Not said character.

This sounds like a perfect opportunity to visit the Galleria for some in depth research at Victoria's Secret and Frederick's of Hollywood.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Erlking

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2007, 05:25:15 PM »
Could just say "Shot dead center just above my bra" and let the reader visualize it.
But if you need a word I decided clasp sounds best to me.  :D
Where am I... and why am I in a handbasket?

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2007, 09:23:45 PM »
Wait a minute.... shot just above her bra... ain't this lady dead already????  Last I knew that was a clean heart shot.

Offline smoorman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2007, 09:28:43 PM »
I think that's why they put her in a body bag it the first place. And now I'm curious what happens next.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2007, 01:49:15 AM »
Ahh dahh.  The older I get the shorter my memory span.  Sorry people of the thread.