Author Topic: Book Cover Costs  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
Book Cover Costs
« on: February 06, 2013, 02:29:28 PM »
Anyone know what the average price would be for a custom book cover by a graphic artist?

I did some investigating last night and found one person who would do it for $30 and hour, roughly taking 2-4 hours to complete the work. So at most the price would be $120. Is that a reasonable price?

Thanks!
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
Re: Book Cover Costs
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 01:50:39 AM »
I've seen quotes for anywhere between $200-$300, some higher than that. You have to make sure there's enough room for everything else (title, your name, any taglines) on the cover.

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 10:46:28 AM »
$120 sounds like a good price for a freelancer. I'd be surprised if you found anyone willing to do it for less.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 11:20:12 AM »
In fact, that's really low for a professional artist; it's on the low end of a day's wages for regularly-employed people.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 12:28:34 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I did some research and found that covers can be pretty expensive if you want a good one. Heck I even saw some expensive covers that weren't good!

It's a pretty important part of the book though, seeing as how it's the first thing people will see.  8)
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)