Author Topic: New sub-board or Tag for RPG  (Read 11021 times)

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
Re: New sub-board or Tag for RPG
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2013, 05:53:58 PM »
Sorry.
I'll remove it.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2013, 05:54:32 PM »
Much obliged.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2013, 05:58:07 PM »
As I said in Weirdl, I understand the logic and reason of the change. It just feel wrong, because I've been roleplaying in the bar since I joined, and the hellfire was, IMHO, the heart of the Bar. Now it feels wrong and dishearted.

I am sure we will adapt, but I won't deny that it hurts, or that I feel chase away.

That said, Shecky, I think many worse things have been said that what Shades said.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2013, 06:01:14 PM »
That's certainly possible, Dina. Just don't have the time these days to patrol every page of every thread. If there's something that's clearly over the line of JBO-standard politeness, please use your judgement to decide when to use the "Report to moderator" button. We take every one of those seriously and look in-depth at the context.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

spywolf

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2013, 06:02:03 PM »
I think we should stop talking about it... because those of us that are sad will just get more upset and everyone ells will get more annoyed...

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2013, 06:11:06 PM »
That's certainly possible, Dina. Just don't have the time these days to patrol every page of every thread. If there's something that's clearly over the line of JBO-standard politeness, please use your judgement to decide when to use the "Report to moderator" button. We take every one of those seriously and look in-depth at the context.

Yes, I know. I even used it before. Don't worry, it is only that it sounded a little harsh to Shades, your scolding came out of the blue in what has been a complicated conversation.
And yes, we all need to cool down.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2013, 07:36:18 PM »

The Bar is just like a bar. It is intended as a basic gathering place to talk about anything that wasn't appropriate for another subforum or thread. Everyone is welcome and you fit in by just wanting to be there.

If you walk in and find half the people in there are dressed in crazy costumes and talking about things that make absolutely no sense to you and also pretending they are some character, and you have to go to each and every table (new topic)  to find simple conversation then frankly it isn't so welcoming.

It was one thing when it was just one or two RPGs but it is getting to the point that all of the general topics are relegated to the second page of threads behind active and locked RPG topics. Also, the RPGs already had a sub-forum that was made for the non-DFRPG games. It is not about who likes what or prefers what. There is A LOT of content on this forum, and keeping it accessible to everyone means keeping organized and putting things where they belong. It would be no different if people started talking about the books and spoilers in the Bar... it is not the right place and they would be moved to the appropriate place (like a lot of other threads, not just the game ones.) 

I'm not sure where the I understand the reaction to moving some topics. They were not in the right place, regardless of how long they have been there. They were moved, not destroyed. 
Billy's Game Den/RPG night is 4 subs down from The Bar.
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/board,38.0.html
There all the games can live and grow and not be interrupted by general topics, in effect making them easier to find. They will also live longer there. Long threads can be snipped when you feel it is necessary. This way people can talk in one space and play in another. Perhaps one of the 8 regular RPGers can be a bartender there to take care of these things.

Finally, as one of the founding members of Hellfire (along with Rashad and Aine, not Persephone who took over when Rashad left), I can say that it is nothing like it used to be.  It's origins were lost in the Great Purge. It is now a game and not a hangout. It might have been the heart of the bar at one time, but I don't recognize it. If anyone should be melancholy or upset it's me (or Enjorous, or Mystic or a couple other people who were a founding Gods too.) But it's a just a topic, technically. The heart of the forum is the members, wherever they happen to hang out.

It's time for Hellfire to retire to Billy's and for some of the more attentive members to make a new "Bar." One that is OOC, and a great place to talk and bond and wander and complain and just hang out.

(And thanks for being as active as you are. It's one of the things that keeps this forum a good place- just now it's a place with better signage and acoustics.)
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

spywolf

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2013, 07:41:21 PM »
*thinks dark storm cloudy thoughts*  >:(

Offline JinElusion

• O. M. G.
  • The Sword of the Evening
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2013, 08:16:01 PM »
Thank you for your exposition, founding member Fyrchick. I will greatly enjoy seeing your posts in the bar and the topics you start. I will be in the WEIRD thread where we have discussions, complaints, fun, and so forth. I will also enjoy seeing all the new people who will be arriving to play with us. If you have any trouble navigating the bar, please do not forget to read Dina's stickied post which kindly directs and informs new patrons about the bar in general.  :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 08:33:18 PM by JinElusion »
"Even if I go to hell, I will live until the end of the world, and if the world does not end; I will destroy it myself." - Grahf, Xenogears

"There's gonna be some stuff you're gonna see that's gonna make it hard to smile in the future." - 2pac

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2013, 09:35:36 PM »
Thank you for your exposition, founding member Fyrchick. I will greatly enjoy seeing your posts in the bar and the topics you start. I will be in the WEIRD thread where we have discussions, complaints, fun, and so forth. I will also enjoy seeing all the new people who will be arriving to play with us. If you have any trouble navigating the bar, please do not forget to read Dina's stickied post which kindly directs and informs no patrons about the bar in general.  :)

8)
Thank you.  ;)
(Just to be clear I am in NO WAY a founding forum member, just of Hellfire... and a few other threads like the 'I hate Susan' thread which became something like the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand when the Great Purge was over... :P   ::) )

I'm not sure what you mean by having trouble navigating The Bar. Now that I'm not tripping over all the toys I'll be fine. I'm sure Dina's thread is a good place for newbies to start- I am not one of them, however. Feel free to greet new arrivals and direct them as appropriate. It's easy to get lost in the Fortress of Jimness if you don't have a destination.

*thinks dark storm cloudy thoughts*  >:(

Seriously?  ??? 
About what? Nothing happened to your games. They were moved just like every other topic that is posted in the wrong place. They have their own sub-board which means you can get to them directly from the home page. If the issue is the suddenness of the move or lack of notification then it's unfortunate but not malicious. If this truly affects your life in a negative way feel free to discuss it at greater length with the mods. But please do it in the appropriate room or by PM.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2013, 09:47:40 PM »
But the apropiate room is this thread, right?
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2013, 11:51:17 PM »
But the apropiate room is this thread, right?
To complain about not liking the change or discuss how mean people moved my toys on an internet forum and ruined everything!!! *stomp*  >:(
No, it is not. 

It is the Site Suggestions and Support (SS&S) area despite the ongoing discussion.

Since the original topic was the creation/separation of multiplying RPG's I put it here (SS&S).  I SHOULD have put it in Miscategorized Threads but I  had forgotten about the RPG section of Billy's and wasn't sure where to direct the reassignment. Should another RPG start in The Bar then the appropriate area to request a move would be the MT topic. Should the RPG get too long then the appropriate thread would be Redheaded Stepchild of Threads that Need Division.

A request was made, the mod agreed and made the change.  I'm sure a new topic on why RPG's should be moved from the RPG room back into the general discussion area would also be considered by the mods.  That would be a new topic and a new request in SS&S.

Complaining about it would probably be in The Bar under a new thread, or perhaps in The Story of Us under "Everything Sucks Today" or in PMs to the mods or each other as originally suggested. Or everyone can move on.

Whatever direction you choose, the original topic has been resolved, therefore:

*LOCK*