Author Topic: Are all Aspects made equal?  (Read 4548 times)

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
Re: Are all Aspects made equal?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 04:11:01 AM »
To me, the DFRPG is about as crunchy as helium compared to DnD 3.5.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 04:34:37 AM »
Things that matter are (or have) aspects.  Aspects are (or describe) things that matter.
When an aspect is used, it has precisely the same weight so far as the mechanics of the game are concerned, as compared to any other aspect.
A 'Shattered Skull' does not provide a larger bonus (or penalty, or other complication or benefit) than a 'Sprained Ankle' to any given application, but it is likely to provide that bonus more frequently (ie. is easier to justify invoking/compelling).

Because its not trying to model reality, its trying to model fiction where something matters as much as the author spends time on it. A sprained ankle can be debilitating in one story or shrugged off by the character in another.

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 01:39:31 PM »
D&D is yogurt with with some chopped nuts tossed in compared to Gurps (and yes, I', still a dedicated Gurps player/GM).  That said, once I discovered how Aspects worked and how they're tagged, it was rather like the Disad system from Gurps (albeit with fewer situational modifiers, what with all Aspect tags a +2).

Crunchy to me is how well a player can "tag" the rules to make it work to his benefit.  DFRPG/FATE forces a player out of crunchy mode into a more narrative mode out of necessity--and that's not a bad thing.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 05:14:35 PM »
Fate puts the R and P into RPG.

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 05:51:28 PM »
D&D is yogurt with with some chopped nuts tossed in compared to Gurps (and yes, I', still a dedicated Gurps player/GM).  That said, once I discovered how Aspects worked and how they're tagged, it was rather like the Disad system from Gurps (albeit with fewer situational modifiers, what with all Aspect tags a +2).

Crunchy to me is how well a player can "tag" the rules to make it work to his benefit.  DFRPG/FATE forces a player out of crunchy mode into a more narrative mode out of necessity--and that's not a bad thing.
Which is why I like the Fate system so much.  Power gaming in RPGs always kinda irked me.  I know of a power gamer who is regularly refilling new characters because he gets bored of them, mostly due to the fact his characters tend to be nothing but a generc pile of numbers with no real though put into the character as a character.  Though it mostly just bothers me because RPGs are not typically competitive, so I never saw a point.

Anyways ranting aside and back on point.  I like that Fate kind of forces power gamers to think along the narration and consider the characters and situations beyond just being a human calculator.

Offline tzizimine

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 06:04:45 PM »
All the more reason why I am looking forward to running it.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 06:42:19 PM »
Which is why I like the Fate system so much.  Power gaming in RPGs always kinda irked me.  I know of a power gamer who is regularly refilling new characters because he gets bored of them, mostly due to the fact his characters tend to be nothing but a generc pile of numbers with no real though put into the character as a character.  Though it mostly just bothers me because RPGs are not typically competitive, so I never saw a point.

Anyways ranting aside and back on point.  I like that Fate kind of forces power gamers to think along the narration and consider the characters and situations beyond just being a human calculator.

You mean having an interesting character is better than having a powerful character?  :o

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
  • Zealotry in the cause of Justice is no vice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 07:02:55 PM »
You mean having an interesting character is better than having a powerful character?  :o
Having an interesting character is often synonymous with having a powerful character in FATE. 
Morgan would have done it in 15 books.

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 08:40:23 PM »
I know right?  Crazy talk!  Though obviously having both is ideal.  When I started I told my players to think up a character concept and Roth idea of what the character can do before I even explained the game mechanics in full.  Then we figured out what powers and stats fit the idea the best.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 08:59:39 PM »
one day i'll have to write out some of my Dresden File misadventures

Offline Dougansf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 02:24:22 AM »
To me, the DFRPG is about as crunchy as helium compared to DnD 3.5.

Have you checked out the old Amber Dice-less RPG?  That game lacks any kind of crunch at all.   ;)

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 03:07:53 AM »

DOES NOT COMPUTE

Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2013, 05:30:42 AM »
Have you checked out the old Amber Dice-less RPG?  That game lacks any kind of crunch at all.   ;)

I disagree, it has crunch and rules, debatably a lot of them, just not dice.