Author Topic: Enchanted Items: Ideas and Help  (Read 3662 times)

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
  • Zealotry in the cause of Justice is no vice...
    • View Profile
Enchanted Items: Ideas and Help
« on: February 04, 2013, 11:27:25 PM »
I was tinkering around trying to figure out a couple Enchanted Items for a Character and (considering I've only ever made one) I had some trouble on the second. I then noticed that the Resource Collection lacks any sort of thread on enchanted items and figured we could use this thread to develop some. Leave ideas here for people who want them.

The item I've had trouble with is a Ring of Invisibility. Basically I want a ring that when you put it on it makes you invisible for a short time. The character was has Lore 4 and no crafting specialties. I am pretty free on how many slots to spend, but I was hoping 2 Enchanted Slots. I was originally thinking of doing it as a block on sight, and then I wondered if maybe a Maneuver would be the way to do it. I'm not really sure what the best way to do it is. Any help would be appreciated.
Morgan would have done it in 15 books.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Enchanted Items: Ideas and Help
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 12:00:28 AM »
The problem with a list of enchanted items is that they can basically hold any spell their creator can cast, subject to power/complexity restrictions...which depend on their creator.

There would be more benefit to a list of narrative spell effects accompanied by suggested mechanical representations, but devoid of hard numbers (since that will depend on the caster/creator).

For your particular enchanted item, I would suggest a thaumaturgical veil (as that bumps the default duration to 'scene') using 2 slots for a strength:5 block vs perception.  It's not amazing, but it'll do the trick against casual observers and even intent mooks (most of the time).  This is early-mid-Dresden veiling capability.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 05:02:23 AM »
For your particular enchanted item, I would suggest a thaumaturgical veil (as that bumps the default duration to 'scene') using 2 slots for a strength:5 block vs perception.  It's not amazing, but it'll do the trick against casual observers and even intent mooks (most of the time).  This is early-mid-Dresden veiling capability.

I agree that this is the way to do things...but, uh, Evocation veils last the scene, too. Well, unless you disrupt them.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 05:54:09 AM »
I agree that this is the way to do things...but, uh, Evocation veils last the scene, too. Well, unless you disrupt them.

They MIGHT last a scene IF your group follows a SUGGESTION in YS, but NOT if it follows RAW.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 06:01:11 AM »
They MIGHT last a scene IF your group follows a SUGGESTION in YS, but NOT if it follows RAW.

Uh...stuff in the margins is every bit as much rules text as anything else in the book. I mean...it's by the same people, the format's just for flavor. It's phrased as advice, sure, but so are things actually in the text. It is a GM judgment call, but saying that following the rules suggestions written in the game isn't following the RAW is...weird and untrue.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 10:22:13 AM »
Uh...stuff in the margins is every bit as much rules text as anything else in the book. I mean...it's by the same people, the format's just for flavor. It's phrased as advice, sure, but so are things actually in the text. It is a GM judgment call, but saying that following the rules suggestions written in the game isn't following the RAW is...weird and untrue.

When those suggestions directly contradict the statements of the rules proper, it's not at all 'weird' and the furthest thing from 'untrue' to say that it is not the Rules As Written.
Slough

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 10:42:53 AM »
When those suggestions directly contradict the statements of the rules proper, it's not at all 'weird' and the furthest thing from 'untrue' to say that it is not the Rules As Written.

There are no 'Rules Proper' as distinct from the marginalia. It was all written by the same people, often at the same time, with whether things wound up in the margins or the text having to do with what worked best aesthetically as much as anything. It is, admittedly, a suggestion, which is why I guess you aren't disregarding the RAW if you ignore it...but you sure as hell aren't disregarding the RAW by following it either, since it is a RAW.

I mean, it's no different from a more traditionally structured gamebook having a paragraph in the text saying "The duration of Veils, at GM discretion, may be somewhat longer than this. It's recommended they last until pierced or the end of the scene, much like they are simply a very good magical stealth roll." or something like that. It's a suggestion...but one that is absolutely part of the rules.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 02:22:49 PM »
There are no 'Rules Proper' as distinct from the marginalia. It was all written by the same people, often at the same time, with whether things wound up in the margins or the text having to do with what worked best aesthetically as much as anything. It is, admittedly, a suggestion, which is why I guess you aren't disregarding the RAW if you ignore it...but you sure as hell aren't disregarding the RAW by following it either, since it is a RAW.

I mean, it's no different from a more traditionally structured gamebook having a paragraph in the text saying "The duration of Veils, at GM discretion, may be somewhat longer than this. It's recommended they last until pierced or the end of the scene, much like they are simply a very good magical stealth roll." or something like that. It's a suggestion...but one that is absolutely part of the rules.

But not the default implementation, which is what I understand Tedronai is trying to get at.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 02:38:03 PM »
But not the default implementation, which is what I understand Tedronai is trying to get at.

I dunno...when the rules strongly suggest you do X...isn't the default to follow their advice? Not following it is certainly valid, and even RAW, but isn't following it what you'd expect to run into?

I'd certainly call actually following the book's explicit advice the default...

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 02:45:30 PM »
The default is to do what the rules TELL you to do, not to do what the rules suggest that you instead do.
Slough

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 03:34:30 PM »
The default is to do what the rules TELL you to do, not to do what the rules suggest that you instead do.
Games have variant rules all the time. That's all this is. You're drawing a distinction where there is none.
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 02:57:58 AM »
A 'variant rule' is precisely what this is.  And variant rules are not what is referred to by 'RAW'.  'RAW' is the default rules, including, at most, official errata (not terribly relevant to DFrpg given Evil Hat's policies on the subject).
Slough

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 05:34:33 AM »
I disagree with you completely...but I doubt either of us is gonna talk the other around, and it's an extremely semantic point in most ways anyway, so let's just agree to disagree and move on, eh?

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 03:25:15 PM »
I'm driving this thread back on topic:

For any type of invisibility, I'd use a veil.  As someone said, with two enchanted item slots, you can get a Veil 5 that lasts a scene.  When this veil is up, you'll face a block of 2 against all of your actions requiring perception.  You'll be able to use this item once per session, with additional uses costing 1 mental stress.

Personally, I find that having two dedicated enchanted items (Offensive, Defensive), and using the rest of my slots for potions is usually the best way to do things.  A veil can be a decent defensive enchanted item with utility outside of combat, but I'd want it at more than 5 Shifts if I were playing with a Superb or higher skill cap.

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
  • Zealotry in the cause of Justice is no vice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 03:44:27 PM »
Fantastic! That was exactly the sort of help I was looking for. Now here's the next thing I want to try and model:

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Psychic_Paper

The Psychic Paper from Doctor Who!
Morgan would have done it in 15 books.