Author Topic: For guys and clever women.... help  (Read 30193 times)

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: For guys and clever women.... help
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2008, 04:14:11 AM »
I am sure. This is not an everyday occurence (or of course I not fall for it). It is more of an "Oh I forgot to get new razors so I used yours. Hope you don't mind."
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline MonaLS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2008, 07:08:29 AM »
I am sure. This is not an everyday occurence (or of course I not fall for it). It is more of an "Oh I forgot to get new razors so I used yours. Hope you don't mind."

How does it make a difference? Hair is hair, isn't it?
“There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast” Anonymous

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2008, 07:28:16 AM »
Mostly, but different hair has different texture, coarse, fine, etc, which wear a blade differently. And a razor blade can only be used so many times before it gets dulled to where it's painful to use.
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2008, 07:45:23 AM »
And in most cases a razor that has been used even once for shaving someone's legs is no longer sharp enough to shave someone's face. It is not only a matter of coarseness but also of the total area shaved. Most people have more surface area on their legs than on their face. It's the surprise factor that makes it annoying though. I was just trying to think of things that are a petty annoyance but not deadly to a relationship. The expectation that the man should be able to read his girlfriend/spouse's mind is probably the one I find most annoying. Yes this works both ways but I find the expectation much more common among females.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2008, 08:04:25 AM »
Yeah I used to hate that one.
Especially because she would be upset, and I'd be trying to find out what's wrong, but she wouldn't tell, yet was upset cuase I didn't know.

Confusing as hell.
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 14

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2008, 04:35:33 PM »
Men should come with a tag attached when they begin to co-habitate with a female.  Women are ALWAYS behind the learning curve on this until they've lived with a man.  A man doesn't understand that a woman doesn't have a clue about this problem.  A woman can use the same blasted razor for a week or two and if she forgets to shop when she runs out, she can make that same razor go a month.  We have no concept of the pain this causes a man, after even one secretive leg shaving.

So, we aren't doing it to be mean.  We just don't understand until we see your red, scraped face and then we feel awful.  I'm divorced and I still would say I was sorry for doing that to the X.... 

"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline JustinGD

• Participant
  • Yeah I am a dork...but I am a hot dork
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2008, 09:20:55 PM »
I think that this should be filed under the, first year of marriage syndrome, I think that if you are really learning about a partner you work through the removal of hair issue.  I bought a safety razor...the old fashioned kind that you have to put a straight razor blade into.  My wife never borrowed it, it takes a lot more control use one of those on your legs.  I also usually have a bag of disposable razors around the house for emergencies, now of course I use an electric razor, so she could use it and I would never know.  I think that setting your partner up for success is the best way to deal with it.  if you can accept who they are and apply that to every thing not just razors, you can deal with a scraped up face every now and again

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2008, 09:23:08 PM »
Men should come with a tag attached when they begin to co-habitate with a female.  Women are ALWAYS behind the learning curve on this until they've lived with a man.  A man doesn't understand that a woman doesn't have a clue about this problem.  A woman can use the same blasted razor for a week or two and if she forgets to shop when she runs out, she can make that same razor go a month.  We have no concept of the pain this causes a man, after even one secretive leg shaving.

So, we aren't doing it to be mean.  We just don't understand until we see your red, scraped face and then we feel awful.  I'm divorced and I still would say I was sorry for doing that to the X.... 

Ah but they don't, that's the problem!!

When my ex did it, if I got upset, she'd just say 'I only used it once, what's the problem' or 'Just use a new one'.
Not once did she say 'oh sorry, I didn't know' or 'jeez, that looks really painful.'

God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline JustinGD

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2008, 09:25:04 PM »
One thing my wife has taught me, is that when a woman says something, it usually means that the words are not as important as the situation that they are said in and the body language that she is using while saying them...I have also learned not to get my feelings hurt so easily

Offline MonaLS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2008, 09:30:09 PM »
The expectation that the man should be able to read his girlfriend/spouse's mind is probably the one I find most annoying. Yes this works both ways but I find the expectation much more common among females.

The problem with this is that my boyfriend says: "You should have said something" or "You should have mentioned it before." AND I HAVE. I don't expect mind reading but I do expect consideration when I HAVE said something.

The razor thing is something else, he doesn't shave and I don't shave, so I never understood the "borrowed my razor" thing.
“There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast” Anonymous

Offline JustinGD

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2008, 09:35:57 PM »
I don't think it comes down to mind reading...just different communication styles. ;)

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 03, 2008, 09:47:51 PM »
One thing my wife has taught me, is that when a woman says something, it usually means that the words are not as important as the situation that they are said in and the body language that she is using while saying them...I have also learned not to get my feelings hurt so easily
Yes, but it would be nice if it worked both ways.
I've found with my ex's (and I'm not saying all women do this, or that men don't. I sure men do do this, I've just never dated any), that most arguments come from her point of view, and anything that doesn't agree, like my point of view, is irrelevant.

Hence, it leaves me, often, feeling like my feelings and thoughts have no validity, and that tends to make me angry and arguments escalate.

I honestly don't see how it's that difficult to say 'sorry I did a thoughtless thing, caused by my own forgetfullness, and it caused you some minor pain and irratiation'.

Again, I'm not saying all women do this, or that men don't.
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2008, 01:34:16 AM »
*okay, I started this thread and I (and many authors) have gotten a lot of great material.  Please keep it coming.  I do think though that a side-by-side thread would be a good idea at this point for writers as well...  Check out--Back from the edge, turning on your partner. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 01:55:37 AM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline THETA

• Conversationalist
  • Insert evil laugh now
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2008, 10:16:51 PM »
Well, i'll just be severe on my own sex.  I see so many girls do this it's insane. 

-Getting too personal too quick.  Guys really don't want to hear about how your sister's having problems with your mom's new boyfriend who she recently found out has been in a gay relationship. 

Man, i can't stand when other girls whine to me and i'm sure most guys don't either unless you get one of those "need to be needed" guys.
The words on the mysterious door read:
"Fancy hearing cake."

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2008, 02:55:02 PM »
-Getting too personal too quick.  Guys really don't want to hear about how your sister's having problems with your mom's new boyfriend who she recently found out has been in a gay relationship. 

This is not a gender thing, IME; some people open up fast, others slowly, pretty much regardless. 

Oh, and tell your sister to stop being silly.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 02:57:42 PM by neurovore »
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.