Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc Part II.  (Read 79488 times)

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc Part II.
« Reply #375 on: July 05, 2013, 01:32:41 PM »
Thanks, man. Now I get to move on to the heroes' recovery from the Darkest Hour section.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #376 on: July 05, 2013, 01:53:37 PM »
Its all in a day's work, DP!

157k - Falon Half Blood (although speaking of today I have been slacking it up pretty hard core and too busy reading other people's books instead of my own like i should have)

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline gatordave96

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 05, 2013, 07:19:59 PM »
Made it to 8k in my second book, "Tyrant Without Equal."  And I wrote some scene/sequel outlines.  It is slow work getting started on the sequel.

Anyone else have those problems starting a sequel?  Or did it start flowing off the page from Day One?
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." - D. Vader

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #378 on: July 05, 2013, 07:52:51 PM »
I always struggle with beginnings. Starting my first book was hard. Starting the second was so much harder!

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #379 on: July 06, 2013, 03:51:55 AM »
Made it to 8k in my second book, "Tyrant Without Equal."  And I wrote some scene/sequel outlines.  It is slow work getting started on the sequel.

Anyone else have those problems starting a sequel?  Or did it start flowing off the page from Day One?

I've found that the worst thing you can do when you stop writing for a night, is to put up your winner hands, declare the chapter is finished and go to bed.  Don't just leave a new chapter header up there for tomorrow.  Instead write at least two paragraphs of the opening for that chapter.  That way when you wake up in the morning you aren't left scratching your head and going huh.  Will I ruin things if I start this way, or where in the heck do we go from here!

Its the same thing with a new book.  Try to write at least a chapter, maybe two of the sequel immeiately after the end of your book.  Throw it in as a sneak peak for book 2 in the back of book one,  or book four for the end of three etc.  You might still feel that little bit of blah feeling when taking up the new project but that whole I need 'research' before figuring out where to pick up next angle is totally blown out of the water.  There is your new beginning now you just need to follow your plot (written down or mental) and naturally proceed from that.

Plus even if you screwed up the new beginning you can always delete it with that new and better idea burning a hole in your brain!

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #380 on: July 06, 2013, 10:26:17 AM »
158k - Falon

The Deposed King

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #381 on: July 07, 2013, 09:27:08 AM »
161k - Falon

162k - Falon

163k - Falon

164k - Falon Half Blood

165k - Falon

166k - Falon Half Blood

167k - Falon

169k - Faalon Half Blood (an 11k day)

The first draft of this novel is officially completed.

hooray!

The Deposed King
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 08:33:40 PM by The Deposed King »

Offline gatordave96

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 08, 2013, 04:19:17 PM »

I've found that the worst thing you can do when you stop writing for a night, is to put up your winner hands, declare the chapter is finished and go to bed.  Don't just leave a new chapter header up there for tomorrow.  Instead write at least two paragraphs of the opening for that chapter.  That way when you wake up in the morning you aren't left scratching your head and going huh.  Will I ruin things if I start this way, or where in the heck do we go from here!

Its the same thing with a new book.  Try to write at least a chapter, maybe two of the sequel immeiately after the end of your book.  Throw it in as a sneak peak for book 2 in the back of book one,  or book four for the end of three etc.  You might still feel that little bit of blah feeling when taking up the new project but that whole I need 'research' before figuring out where to pick up next angle is totally blown out of the water.  There is your new beginning now you just need to follow your plot (written down or mental) and naturally proceed from that.

Plus even if you screwed up the new beginning you can always delete it with that new and better idea burning a hole in your brain!

The Deposed King

That's good advice.  Now, following through on it . . . that's another story.  And congrats on finishing the first draft of Falon Half Blood.  Did you rush right out and draft the first scene of the sequel afterwards?

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #383 on: July 08, 2013, 05:50:16 PM »
Finally back to work on Chapter 19...hopefully I can continue writing...schedule changes at work threw me off for too damn long...8P
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #384 on: July 09, 2013, 04:45:18 AM »
That's good advice.  Now, following through on it . . . that's another story.  And congrats on finishing the first draft of Falon Half Blood.  Did you rush right out and draft the first scene of the sequel afterwards?

I was bad.  Up until 0445 am writing and then raised my winner hands and went to sleep.  However its clear my ending needs lots of work.  So I'll have to write a sneak peak chapter of book 2 to clear every thing up.

The Deposed King

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #385 on: July 11, 2013, 03:58:26 AM »
<Deity> its not the going forward that's the worst, this rewriting is the stuff that kills.  Early consensus seems to be that the ending of Falon left much to be desired so its revamp the last two chapters and write another one.

Which I can do! (although I'd much prefer to be doing a perfect immitation of Enigo Montoya ala princess bride when he says 'which I have' even if he was saying 'I can do') anyway the sickness that felt almost gone yesterday is back again today.  But we will persevere!

Oh and if you're interested the opening Book in my Spineward Sectors Series as well as the opening Novella (either of which should be good entry ways into my series  :P ) are scheduled to be up for free on amazon.  If you're interested come take a look at my blog for times or else surf the amazon!

have a blast guys,

The Deposed King

The Deposed King

Offline gatordave96

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 12, 2013, 01:55:20 AM »
Up to 16k in my second book, "Tyrant Without Equal."  And I ended the night by writing a paragraph in a new scene.  We will see how this works.

Many thanks, Your Highness. 

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #387 on: July 12, 2013, 03:49:55 AM »
Best of luck gatordave.  Let us know how it works!

The Deposed King

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 12, 2013, 12:56:24 PM »
Work on chapter 3 of my second book has begun! It definitely is harder to start the second book IMO, but now the words are flowing much easier. Gotta have it ready for a November release!
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #389 on: July 12, 2013, 03:26:31 PM »
Chapter 19 Finally Completed.
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me