Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc Part II.  (Read 79510 times)

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
Well so far its only been one issue and its a relatively easy fix. Only 6 more chapters to summarize and I'll fix the issues only then get back to writing.
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Well so far its only been one issue and its a relatively easy fix. Only 6 more chapters to summarize and I'll fix the issues only then get back to writing.

Let the frustration flow through you.  Only then can feel the true power of the Dark Side!

(Its actually good to hear you're doing well.  Keep up the good work.)

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Only 4 chapters left to summarize! And still only the one major flaw which is easily corrected...it's seeing all of the minor flaws and itching to correct them that's driving me crazy!...8P

Offline AesopsInvestigations

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Prix Fixe
Working on Chapter 4, while also writing a series bible for a UF serialized fiction. With the latter I'm going to do it sorta like a TV show. In other words each story will be an 'episode', I'm just not sure how many stories are going to make up a season. I want to get a couple of the ep's written before I go to press. Then maybe write as I go, listening to reader feedback.

Then at the end of the season, compile them all into one book with say "DVD" extras. Like thoughts on the writing process, maybe notes etc etc etc. My goal (at this point) is to have the first episode ready by January.

spywolf

400 words yesterday

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
I wrote 6.8k for a sneak peak chapter of book 5 for the end of Admiral's Trial.

Just about ready to send to my beta readers.  even got a widget on the website for people to sign up for the e-arc.

the deposed king

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
2 chapters left to summarize...whee!

Offline gatordave96

• Participant
    • View Profile
Wrote the last scene in my first epic fantasy novel this weekend, barring any major hiccups during editing and polishing.  Final word count:  286,000.

Hope to finish the edits in three or four weeks.  Then I'll send it off to friends and family to read and give me comments.

Whew.  Three year process of writing my first book coming to an end.  Probably should have planned a stand alone novel for my first project, but what the hell.  Maybe I have a trilogy in me. 

Anybody have any good ideas about how to get something readable to alphas?  Wrote everything in 12-point courier, double spaced.  So the draft is close to 1,300 pages.  Want to give printed versions to as many people as possible without breaking the bank.  Wonder if I should convert a version to single spacing and a different font.

So how do you deliver your finished product to alphas? 
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." - D. Vader

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
I use a regular Word file with times new roman font.  No spaces between anything.  Just regular paragraph indents and shoot it off to the betas.

I don't know about paper copies.  Just make sure the font is large enough.

When I go amazon, my brother converts it to an e-pub file.

Great news on the finish.  I'd seriously consider breaking your book in two.

the Deposed King

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
I use basic Times New Roman, 12-point font, with double-line spacing and about an inch and a half indent for new paragraphs.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
So how do you deliver your finished product to alphas?

I send them text files, which they can import into whatever program they like and format to their pleasure; my own vision is far enough from the norm that sending the files in the format I work in or prefer reading is a non-starter.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Huh, I don't do any spacing in my writing...have to check my reply from Tad Williams and see if he spaces...

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
Just finished Chapter 18, bringing me up to 34,404 words.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
So finishes my summarization, just have the one bit to correct then I can get back to writing...I should probably also do up my outline now that I have a better idea of where the story is going.
Yes I live dangerously, writing without an outline written ahead of time. But I tend to write as inspire; come up with an idea for a story, setting, write tons of characters then try to fit it all together. Yes its horribly inefficient and likely explains part of why I've never finished anything...but now that I've got the summary down I think I can get myself into a more efficient writing mode and get this thing done, especially with a good framework to work from.
I'll also have to go back and double-space everything now...I heard back from Tad and thats what he does...I shudder to think how much that will balloon up my page count...8P

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
Don't sweat if you don't have an outline written. Most of my writing, especially when I'm just starting a book or series, is all done on the fly.