Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc Part II.  (Read 79497 times)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc Part II.
« Reply #165 on: April 29, 2013, 04:01:06 AM »
9K this week.  Wasn't happy with the way some events and characters in the central narration went, so I'm doing a side piece from another character's PoV.  Her narrative only brushes against my protagonists in a few places, but she's key in some major events.  It's helped me round a number of characters out, as well as build some better motivations and more realistic action/reaction sequences in the main work.

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #166 on: April 29, 2013, 12:49:21 PM »
A little tweaking of Chapter 16 (realized after finishing it that I broke several of my settings magical rules) and I'm at 30,579 words.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #167 on: April 29, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »
A little tweaking of Chapter 16 (realized after finishing it that I broke several of my settings magical rules) and I'm at 30,579 words.

47k - Falon Half Blood

Sounds like you've hit a slow patch.  Sometimes the best thing to do then is go back and reread it.  Others you just have to say damn the torpedos and full steam ahead.

Hope it resolves for you soon.

I did good today but before that its been a pretty slow road to hoe.  Hang tough.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 29, 2013, 01:42:31 PM »
Oh, don't worry, it's not a slow patch. I just had an event take place which broke so many of the rules of my setting that I couldn't leave it in at all. So rather than keep going and try to remember that it didn't happen, I decided to re-write the end of the chapter.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #169 on: April 29, 2013, 01:52:25 PM »
Oh, don't worry, it's not a slow patch. I just had an event take place which broke so many of the rules of my setting that I couldn't leave it in at all. So rather than keep going and try to remember that it didn't happen, I decided to re-write the end of the chapter.

Oh alright then.  I guess I must just be getting antsy to finish this Falon book and am projecting.  Current goal is to finish it this week before its time to go edit book 4 Admiral's Trial with the brother.  That way I can get pounding away on the next Admiral book as soon as possible.

Don't know how I'm going to manage to finish Falon in one week, but I'm ready to give it the old honest effort.

Have a blast and good luck with the book,

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 29, 2013, 01:55:06 PM »
Ooof, that's a heck of a deadline.

I have until about August to get my third book done and sent to my publisher if I want to be sure of it coming out next year. I have at least another 50,000 words to go, so at some point I'll need to step things up.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #171 on: April 29, 2013, 02:43:39 PM »
Ooof, that's a heck of a deadline.

I have until about August to get my third book done and sent to my publisher if I want to be sure of it coming out next year. I have at least another 50,000 words to go, so at some point I'll need to step things up.

Well my original goal was to write this little Fantasy novel (1st draft only) of Falon Half Blood to broaden my reader base, and do it between the time it took my brother to finish editing book 3 and the edit and launched book 4.  So about a month in total.  That's really not that fast since I'd only need to do about 3k a day to smash it out in that kind of time frame.  (trying to keep this one 90k instead my usual 130-150k books)

I was doing an average of 8k words a day with forays up to as high as 13k and no lower than 5k a day, every single day without fail when I was writing the final 4/5ths of what eventually became Admiral's Tribulation and Admiral's Trial.  Or about 200k words.  So I know a month is doable if you stay dedicated.

I figure if I do no better than my last book money wise and only make $8k per every book I release then all I need to do is put out 4 books a year or rather one every quarter.  Cost of living over here is pretty cheap, although I've got to pay for school for the wife.

I can write a book in a month and with my brother's help edit it in one more.  So I figure without paying anyone to edit them for me I could crank out six books a year if that's what I needed to do.

Don't know what I'd do without his help though and he's almost half way completed with a 5-6 book arc he wants to have fully written before releasing on Amazon in some kind of ad/release blitz.  So I'll have to figure that out at some point.  Or start stacking the electronic books against the wall when the editing production line starts to bottleneck.

If only I had a 20 book back list like a bunch of these yahoos I see online.  2 books a day x 20 books is like 40 sales per day baseline!  at 2.99 you get 70% before taxes and so that's 2 bucks per book.  40/day x 30 day-month x 2bucks = $2400.00 base line monthly revenue.  Plus you get that 6-8k surge upon the release of a successful book (although I've seen guys do much better than I have with initial release sales).  From looking at their amazon ranking that's about what you can count on (at least for the back list) so long as you keep pumping out a new book to keep your back list fresh.

Oh well I'm going on for far too long.  Maybe in a couple years if I stay dedicated I'll be in the same league as those other guys with the big lists of books in their arsenal.

The Deposed King

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 29, 2013, 06:02:29 PM »
Oh well I'm going on for far too long.  Maybe in a couple years if I stay dedicated I'll be in the same league as those other guys with the big lists of books in their arsenal.

The Deposed King

You certainly have the drive and determination Deposed. I have no doubt one day you'll reach those guys.

Personally I managed to edit three chapters last night, which was awesome. Up until this point I was doing a lot of rewrites to get the story as sharp as it could be. I'm almost halfway through editing my book as of now, then I'll be sending it out to two beta readers mid-May.

I was also contacted by a respectful blogger who does author interviews every month, and offered to give me one to post on the release day of my book, which I've decided will most likely be June 7th! I think I'll be releasing it specifically for Kindle and using their KDP Select program as a start.
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #173 on: April 30, 2013, 01:27:22 AM »
Way to go DP!  Let us know how it works out for you.

50k  Falon Half Blood (managed to light a fire last night!)

The Deposed King

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 30, 2013, 06:14:16 AM »
That's fantastic!

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
Another chapter down. Things are getting bad for my heroes. Up to 32,316 words now.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
Sigh...haven't written anything new in almost 2 weeks...been spending my time summarizing each chapter, something I should have been doing all along, but its also forcing a re-reading and minor adjustments so taking more time...and already found at least one major conflict in an early chapter...8P
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
Noooo! Don't give in to the Dark Side! Summarize if you need to, but make notes of those problems and leave them for when you're editing, otherwise you'll keep re-writing and changing things and you won't actually write the book.

Offline roteral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
I just found inspiration in music and I am starting to outline my short story called The Stranger in the Top Hat. Really pumped to start writing
Rest in peace pinky toe. <Scary Voice> You shall be avenged!

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Noooo! Don't give in to the Dark Side! Summarize if you need to, but make notes of those problems and leave them for when you're editing, otherwise you'll keep re-writing and changing things and you won't actually write the book.

Do no listen to the Wordmaker, Ren.  Feel all the self destructive power of the red pen Flow Through You!  Only then can you know the true power of the Force!!!

Join the Emperor and his Minions of Darkness!!!  Edit on your books before they are ever actually written!!!

The Deposed King