Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc Part II.  (Read 78922 times)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc Part II.
« Reply #645 on: January 16, 2014, 12:06:46 PM »
21k - Falon II

22k - Falon II

The Deposed King
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 02:36:50 PM by The Deposed King »

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #646 on: January 17, 2014, 09:39:56 AM »
23k - Falon II

24k - Falon II

25k - Falon II

The Deposed King
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 03:08:03 PM by The Deposed King »

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: January 18, 2014, 05:07:05 AM »
Through pass on 16 chapters of book 2 tonight, which was surprisingly much progress. At this rate I will be one more night before I move on to #3 again.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #648 on: January 18, 2014, 12:35:32 PM »
26k - Falon II

27k - Falon II

The Deposed King
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 01:53:22 PM by The Deposed King »

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: January 19, 2014, 01:33:00 AM »
So far my new year's promise to write every day seems to be holding, even if I don't write much every day. My steampunk-story (which sadly just lay waiting for a few years due to writer's block), is now up to slightly over 14 000 words. Yay me.  Hopefully,I will be finished with this wretched chapter as well as the next one before the end of January.

edit: it takes extra time since I write it in English (which isn't my native language), and I simpy want it to be perfect, so lots of editing while I write. Yes, I know that is a deadly sin. =^_^=

/Ulfgeir
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 02:00:09 AM by Ulfgeir »
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #650 on: January 19, 2014, 02:58:46 AM »
So far my new year's promise to write every day seems to be holding, even if I don't write much every day. My steampunk-story (which sadly just lay waiting for a few years due to writer's block), is now up to slightly over 14 000 words. Yay me.  Hopefully,I will be finished with this wretched chapter as well as the next one before the end of January.

edit: it takes extra time since I write it in English (which isn't my native language), and I simpy want it to be perfect, so lots of editing while I write. Yes, I know that is a deadly sin. =^_^=

/Ulfgeir

Yep  ;D  Editing while writing leads to, in my experience, low word production, frustration with your story and worst of all writers block.  Because either it sucks or you think you've finally got something cool and you don't want to risk messing it up.

But so long as its working for you don't stop!

The Deposed King

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: January 19, 2014, 03:26:38 AM »
He's preaching stone gospel there.  You'll keep fixing and fixing and never move forward.  Caught myself doing this.  First draft is nothing more than putting the ideas on paper.  Second draft is where you start on de-cludging the cludgicals and polishing the wordcraft, adjusting the beginning of the story to be consistent with things you did later, etc.  But you've got to get the complete idea down first, in my (limited) experience. 

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: January 20, 2014, 01:23:05 AM »
He's preaching stone gospel there.  You'll keep fixing and fixing and never move forward.  Caught myself doing this.  First draft is nothing more than putting the ideas on paper.  Second draft is where you start on de-cludging the cludgicals and polishing the wordcraft, adjusting the beginning of the story to be consistent with things you did later, etc.  But you've got to get the complete idea down first, in my (limited) experience.

Like most bits of writing advice, true for some people and not others.  I can't make forward motion on a story when I know it's wrong in some ways,  but there's a definite balance between fixing the things that need fixing to fit together, and not getting stuck such that you get no forward motion at all.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 20, 2014, 05:06:24 AM »
Yup.  Mileage may very.  If something that's story-crucial is completely borked, I can't go on until I fix that either... but the clunky sentences and wonky paragraphs I force myself to wait for.  Kept doing the Eternal Rewrite Loop on the first 30K.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #654 on: January 20, 2014, 06:11:52 AM »
Yup.  Mileage may very.  If something that's story-crucial is completely borked, I can't go on until I fix that either... but the clunky sentences and wonky paragraphs I force myself to wait for.  Kept doing the Eternal Rewrite Loop on the first 30K.

Dialogue and Content that just aren't doing what you want it to, I might stare at for a while until I get it right.  Maybe once a week go back to something a day or two before and make sure the converstation says what I want or that I emphasized they got up and the a-crack of dawn so that people aren't scratching their heads when two chapters later other people are just waking up.

But if I do that every time, every day I'd never get anything.  You've got to give yourself permission to come back later and puff it up.  Otherwise that's all I'm doing and forward motion stalls.

The Deposed King

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #655 on: January 20, 2014, 01:38:52 PM »
Busy work period and the birth of a new baby (bringing us to 3 baby girls) has kept me from my work, but I finally got the first chapter of my new urban fantasy book, Candlelight, written. 1,869 words.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 20, 2014, 03:27:56 PM »
The next novella, "Valorous Daughter" is almost ready to go up.  Waiting to get a read back from one of my Red Pen Doom Monkeys, and for the ocver art.  In the meantime, I finished the first draft of "A Kiss for Damocles" this week.  Came in at 113K, although I expect that to shrink on next run through.  One thing that's going to be a pain is solidifying the narrator's dialect.  It developed and became more individual/distinct as the work progressed, so I'm spending a good bit of time replacing more formal words or phrases with ones that would be more natural for her.

The double negatives still hurt my thinking parts though.  It's like having to fold a map wrong, every time...

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #657 on: January 20, 2014, 05:07:06 PM »
As per a half-assed New Year's resolution, I've been making the effort to write at least 1000 words a day on one or the other of my two first-drafts-in-progress,and it seems to be working; 1K/day is proving to be a good balance between (A) pushing myself and getting stressed, and (B) writing nothing and feeling guilty about it. At this pace I should have both drafts done by mid-February, and can start on the revision process.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #658 on: January 21, 2014, 09:43:51 AM »
28k - Falon II

29k - Falon II

30k - Falon II

The Deposed King
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:22:41 PM by The Deposed King »

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #659 on: January 22, 2014, 12:23:19 PM »
31k - Falon II

32k - Falon II

The Deposed King
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 12:48:34 AM by The Deposed King »