Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc Part II.  (Read 78971 times)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc Part II.
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2013, 08:01:56 AM »

Damn.  That is some quick writing.  You people put me to shame with how prolific you are.  Please tell me you write for a living.

Up to 244k today.  Taking a four-day weekend to relax.  Hope to do some more editing and writing.

116k AIS

I do right now.  Although I've got to put out another book to get into that 'for a living' part.

So far about 9k written today.  I was kind of hoping for 10k when I had 5k by noon and that might still happen but I'm definitely feeling the grind at this point.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2013, 03:35:52 AM »
Merlin's Courtship is currently at 95K, and projected at 125K right now...

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2013, 12:22:01 PM »
121k - AIS

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

Offline Gilitine_Memitim

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2013, 03:55:11 PM »
I did 500 and some words yesterday, early morning.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2013, 12:45:22 AM »
Keep up the good work everyone.  Life can get in your way more than you can tolerate sometimes.  But if you grind through it someday you'll get back to the creative side

Congradulating to everyone whose posted some forward progress.  Keep up the good work guys.  Tell yourself that completion and eventual success is around the corner and keep going as best you can!

If you haven't been able to do anything for a while don't despair.  I spent about ten years off and on just doing story starts and not really getting anywhere. Wife, kids, family, day job and all those other critical side things that are life can get in the way.

Just come back to it as you are able.

I've said this before and I'll say it again David Drake manages 500 words a day every day.  Hardly a paragon of rapid forward progress!  And he's a published author with 20-30?  books.  Its not always the rabbit that wins the race.  So don't let anyone's speed get you down.  Personally I've been writing more than 5K a day, writing at top speed and spewing out, IMO, a great story.  My brother routinely does 12k a day when he's writing and on my best day ever, a 9k day, that same day he managed 20k.  Talk about being overshadowed.

It doesn't matter what others do, I mean it does if you want to read their books for yourself! but otherwise the most important thing is that you stay dedicated, you stay focused and eventually get your creation completed (at least to the point of book 1) and get it out there!

Best of luck to everyone.  I believe in you!  You're here, you're trying and that's half of it right there.  Now all you have to do is that very hardest part in the world.  Keep pounding on it without diverting!

The Deposed King

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2013, 01:00:36 AM »
No new writing this weekend.  Been incorporating the edits I've gotten back from the Red Pen Devil Monkeys of Doom Brigade.

Valorous Daughter is now finished... and it is with a tremulous, tremblesome and twitching hand that I begin to draft the cover letter...

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2013, 02:09:21 AM »
Congrats PG.  Way to go.  Take a big deep breath and pause a moment to appreciate all you have done.

NOW

Get ready to dive right back into it!  Either new writing or re-edit/submissions!

The Deposed King

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2013, 02:20:44 AM »
Going back to work on Stormjammer this week.  Nice thing about the novella... it's all backstory for the same world, and it spawned two new characters for the main book, as well as gave me some development direction for a couple of existing ones.  I'm pretty damn pleased with my decision to limit any side projects (like the submission call Breath of Scheherazade is for) to the same storyverse.  Means I don't have to miss out on targets of opportunity while ensuring that I'm still working in some way or another on the main book.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2013, 07:42:11 AM »
Going back to work on Stormjammer this week.  Nice thing about the novella... it's all backstory for the same world, and it spawned two new characters for the main book, as well as gave me some development direction for a couple of existing ones.  I'm pretty damn pleased with my decision to limit any side projects (like the submission call Breath of Scheherazade is for) to the same storyverse.  Means I don't have to miss out on targets of opportunity while ensuring that I'm still working in some way or another on the main book.

126 - AIS

That's a great way to go to keep your head in the game but give the subconscious time to grind away on the main line stuff.  Its sort of a mental fertilizer.  Lets you get some of that creative angst from bearing down on only one project, out of the way, while at the same time enriching your world and keeping you productive.

The Deposed King
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:43:51 AM by The Deposed King »

spywolf

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2013, 09:39:48 AM »
no new writing unless you count the history essays for school that are normally 500-700+ words each
I do about 2-4 a week
so no fun writing for me

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2013, 12:15:18 PM »
no new writing unless you count the history essays for school that are normally 500-700+ words each
I do about 2-4 a week
so no fun writing for me

129 - AIS (8k total for the day, not a bad day's work!)

That's too bad spy thing!  I understand how hard it can be to get in that creative groove when everything else is trying to get in the way.  Case in point, school work!

The Deposed King

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2013, 03:10:54 PM »
2500 words last night and two blog posts!

I'm very happy with my progress right now. For a little over a week I've been able to keep a goal of 1000 words per weekday (I have a full time job) and 2000 per weekend (Saturday didn't work because I had guests over) but things are really flowing!

I'm estimating a June release for my book. I wanted to originally shop it out to publishers but after doing some research I decided to self-publish.
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2013, 04:46:49 PM »
Spent Friday night mostly picking apart and reassembling what are now chapters 6 and 10 of TIWTBWO #1, which are by far the trickiest bits in this rewrite. 

(The story concerns four people who have been sent into a situation that was badly misread, and needs something closer to four hundred people to handle; the four hundred people are on their way once the right people can be gathered and transported, and should be there fairly soon, and the four who are already there are struggling to hold it together in the mean time.  The previous draft opened with a bang, as it were, and with my protagonist and her colleagues as the obvious suspects for that bang, and the chapters I am talking about were the first on-stage introductions of colleagues #1 and #2.  After having it pointed out that that structure created an expectation that the book, and indeed the series, would be focused on the police-procedural/mystery aspects more than it turns out to be, I've gone back to put two more chapters on the beginning, with these four people arriving in the situation in the first place, to introduce the broader context and clarify the scale that I want readers thinking on and caring about.  This has made what those first-after-the-bang scenes have to do really quite different; I think they now work on content, but I need to let them sit for a week and reread them to make sure that all this fiddling flows smoothly.  I'll probably have a similar wrestle with chapter 15 or 16 where I had previously been first introducing colleague #3, but I doubt it will be as rough as 10 was.) During which all I would seem to have cut about 150 words and written about 800 new.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

spywolf

« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2013, 05:54:14 PM »
I can get creative for about an hour but by then I can not look at a computer screen  :(
I am hopefully going to get some free time sunday
if things go acording to plan

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2013, 01:13:48 AM »
Spent Friday night mostly picking apart and reassembling what are now chapters 6 and 10 of TIWTBWO #1, which are by far the trickiest bits in this rewrite. 

(The story concerns four people who have been sent into a situation that was badly misread, and needs something closer to four hundred people to handle; the four hundred people are on their way once the right people can be gathered and transported, and should be there fairly soon, and the four who are already there are struggling to hold it together in the mean time.  The previous draft opened with a bang, as it were, and with my protagonist and her colleagues as the obvious suspects for that bang, and the chapters I am talking about were the first on-stage introductions of colleagues #1 and #2.  After having it pointed out that that structure created an expectation that the book, and indeed the series, would be focused on the police-procedural/mystery aspects more than it turns out to be, I've gone back to put two more chapters on the beginning, with these four people arriving in the situation in the first place, to introduce the broader context and clarify the scale that I want readers thinking on and caring about.  This has made what those first-after-the-bang scenes have to do really quite different; I think they now work on content, but I need to let them sit for a week and reread them to make sure that all this fiddling flows smoothly.  I'll probably have a similar wrestle with chapter 15 or 16 where I had previously been first introducing colleague #3, but I doubt it will be as rough as 10 was.) During which all I would seem to have cut about 150 words and written about 800 new.

All this revamping you keep posting about sounds grueling.  I'm so glad my reworking and insert has only been squeezed into two weeks worth of editing before release.

Keep up the hard work, I'm sure it'll turn out the way you like it.

Modified:  135 - AIS

The Deposed King
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:36:32 AM by The Deposed King »