Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc Part II.  (Read 78062 times)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
The old one hit it's expiry date, so here's a fresh one to discuss our progress...

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc Part II.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 01:30:54 PM »
It's so clean and new! The board smells like citrus!  ;D

I personally have not been able to set aside writing time for myself. Family life does that I guess. However over the last week and a half I have been hand writing anytime I can. It's been working really well and I have five pages to type up. Now I just need to find the time to type them up!

On the plus side I can allow myself to be messy in the handwritten version, then clean it up when I type it.
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 03:19:34 PM »
Got a good start on this weeks writing, 4 pages in one sitting...yay me! IF I can maintain that pace I can easily reach my goal of completing a book by my next birthday!
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline gatordave96

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 03:02:29 AM »
Okay, I'll bite.

Up to 238,000 words on my first epic fantasy novel.  Spent a lot of time editing this past weekend because there were some scenes that just did not work. 
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." - D. Vader

spywolf

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 07:15:25 AM »
Yesterday. 300 words for two school things.

Offline Gilitine_Memitim

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 04:18:07 PM »
It was either yesterday or the day before yesterday. 1,100 some words. Around that range.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 06:28:20 PM »
About 7500 words over the last week.  Only 2500 or so are part of the WiP, but the others are for a novella which is something of a prequel I'm considering for one of Musa's theme calls. 

I've had good luck restricting any mental "leg stretching" to the same story-verse.  Granted, a four or five thousand year timeline gives me plenty of room, yet everything eventually contributes to the WiP.

The thousand-years-before prequel got a personal rejection from the editors of Clarkesworld & Penumbra, and it's working it's way into becoming a chunk of the novella.  So it counts as backstory/worldbuilding.  And that, in turn, has generated a couple of characters in the novella who will nicely fill some holes the WiP had in it's cast.  I'm thrilled that when I have an Idea Compulsions that would require something of a change in settings, I just need to jump to a different point in the WiP's timeline.  And it then creates either seed material, or something to build story towards.  I think I've bumbled into a pretty good system.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 09:20:16 PM »
Nothing actually written over the weekend, because of being a combination of exhausted and ill such that my brain would not do that.  it appears to be well back on form now, and winter having eased up to the point where I can reasonably walk home again (-18 ! Who needs Florida !) I am getting plenty of time to mull stuff over, going back and forth between what the major adjustment of backstory and focus in WIWTWO volume #1 means for #2 (relatively little but scattered through it) and the first ten chapters or so that i have written of #3 (somewhat more) and also rethinking how best the people returning from #2 will interact in #3, particularly two who never met in person in #2 but have very strong shared history with the same people.

Chapters 5 through 11 of #3, while they are resolving one plot element, are also about introducing quite a lot of people and connections such that when there's a murder there's no shortage of plausible motives.  I do hope I have the balance right here, but that' going to be very hard to tell until I have the thing finished.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

spywolf

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 09:49:47 PM »
615 history essay
I think thats more then the recomended word count...

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 03:12:32 AM »
Chapter 8 of the "Makeshift Mermaid" Completed (Working title)!
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 04:51:40 AM »
Quit the day job and flew back to the Philippines last saturday.  Almost one week back in country, decompressing and hanging around with the wife (when she's not at school) and the kids (when not in pre-school).  Finally started back in on Admiral in Spite of Himself.  Yesterday and the day before I spent revising and extending as I went back through everything I have.  Today I did 2k forward progress, on a scene that I had to redo.  Apparently it got lost somehow.  Went in a slightly different direction, more pain and hardship for the victory hahahahha.

total word count is up to 55k on AIS (Admiral in Spite)

I'm going to try and pound out a few thousand more before the wife gets home and monopolizes my time  :P have a great one guys you can do it  8)

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 04:54:47 AM »
I hoist a glass in your honor!  I've enjoyed the first two books greatly, and I'm looking forward to this one.  Here's to your continued success as an Official Word Herder!

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 04:58:56 AM »
I hoist a glass in your honor!  I've enjoyed the first two books greatly, and I'm looking forward to this one.  Here's to your continued success as an Official Word Herder!

Thanks!

That and the Ten Grand I made off of amazon for those two books tell me... I need to get busy finishing book three!!!

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

spywolf

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 05:10:34 AM »
Well done D king.
See if I was clever I would get ready for school now and go down stairs and write. :-/ (as its 5 am and I don't have to leave the house till 7 45 am)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 06:46:36 AM »
Well done D king.
See if I was clever I would get ready for school now and go down stairs and write. :-/ (as its 5 am and I don't have to leave the house till 7 45 am)

Up to 57k!

58k and slowing down!

The Deposed King

P.S. - Thanks Wolf Girl Spy Thing!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 08:54:31 AM by The Deposed King »