Author Topic: Sweet Rejection...  (Read 3777 times)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Sweet Rejection...
« on: February 03, 2013, 05:04:57 PM »
So the first short I've fed into the Submission Machine has now garnered two "Near Miss" rejections.  On one hand it sucks, but on the other hand, only about 6% of Clarke's World submissions get the "Near Miss" letter.  So at least I know I'm on the right track.  What I'd truly love to know is if there was a technical issue, not quite the content they were looking for, or  if there were simply too many other stories in the batch that struck chord with the editorial staff. 

Still, it's feedback of sorts, which is better than none.   ;)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet Rejection...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 08:53:51 PM »
And a step in the right direction. A big step.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 10:25:29 PM »
Yes.  When this world is mine, and Patrick Rothfuss and Joss Whedon are fighting in a cage-match to see who has the honor of telling my biography, I shall remember these editors and perhaps allow them a grape at the feast of my ascension to divinity.

*gets back to work on another the WiP.*

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 10:28:45 PM »
In all seriousness, I understand how busy these folks are, and I'm glad to get anything more than a form letter.  This way at least I know I'm on the right track, if not quite what they're after.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 08:30:05 PM »
Picked which wall you're going to paper with RS yet? ::) ::)
(Though I suspect that you are not going to keep getting RS for long
before you start getting picked)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 06:29:52 PM »
They're all electronic, so I don't want to waste ink and paper printing them up.

Instead, every time I get a rejection, I'm going to shiv a panda. 

These editors simply need to decide what's important to them:  Stories that fit what they've got in mind for an issue's theme, or pandas.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 07:04:12 PM »
Ebul you are PG.
Picking on poor innocent Pandas. ::) ::)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 08:00:29 PM »
Hey!  It's not my decision.  Either they care for endangered species or they don't.  My hands are tied.  Well, actually, the panda's paws are, but it's a metaphorical tied-hands thing.  Except for the panda it's literal. 

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 08:01:45 PM »
^
LOL  ::) ::)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 09:09:51 PM »
Hey!  It's not my decision.  Either they care for endangered species or they don't.  My hands are tied.  Well, actually, the panda's paws are, but it's a metaphorical tied-hands thing.  Except for the panda it's literal.

Do I smell the free-will argument insinuating its invidious way even here ?

The thing I most wish I had thought of, myself, in re submitting things to editors, is the person who sent their manuscript a birthday card when it had been in slushpile a year; I heard about it from the editor in question who was tickled into looking at the thing shortly thereafter.

..also, I wish I could write short fiction.  Or rather, I wish I could write halfway decent short fiction in any less time than it takes to complete a first draft of a novel.  I greatly respect people who can write a thousand-word story in the same sort of timescale it takes to write a thousand-word chapter, but that's not a skill I have.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 11:44:24 PM »
Do I smell the free-will argument insinuating its invidious way even here ?

The thing I most wish I had thought of, myself, in re submitting things to editors, is the person who sent their manuscript a birthday card when it had been in slushpile a year; I heard about it from the editor in question who was tickled into looking at the thing shortly thereafter.

..also, I wish I could write short fiction.  Or rather, I wish I could write halfway decent short fiction in any less time than it takes to complete a first draft of a novel.  I greatly respect people who can write a thousand-word story in the same sort of timescale it takes to write a thousand-word chapter, but that's not a skill I have.

Pure, utter rationalization I'm afraid.   ;D

The birthday card is brilliant.  I'll put that on the list of things I wish I'd thought of, and hope to never need to do.  I'm actually doing submissions based on turn-around time rather than rates because the single thing I need most is feedback.

Short fiction is a pain.  I have trouble telling anything meaningful in less than four or 5,000 words.  I get that it's intended to be conceptual, crisp, etc... but my love is in worldbuilding, and character-driven material.  Something which, at least for me, takes a bit more space than the typical 3 or 4K limit allows. 

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 02:03:21 AM »
So the first short I've fed into the Submission Machine has now garnered two "Near Miss" rejections.  On one hand it sucks, but on the other hand, only about 6% of Clarke's World submissions get the "Near Miss" letter.  So at least I know I'm on the right track.  What I'd truly love to know is if there was a technical issue, not quite the content they were looking for, or  if there were simply too many other stories in the batch that struck chord with the editorial staff. 

Still, it's feedback of sorts, which is better than none.   ;)
Something to consider--your piece might've simply been too long for the space they had available.  I've seen the suggestion that to get published in a magazine--write shorter.  Because if they have only so much space, and the editor has to choose between a longer piece by a well-known author or by an unknown, they're going to go for the well-known author.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 02:07:18 AM »
Something to consider--your piece might've simply been too long for the space they had available.  I've seen the suggestion that to get published in a magazine--write shorter.  Because if they have only so much space, and the editor has to choose between a longer piece by a well-known author or by an unknown, they're going to go for the well-known author.

Oh, I'm a fiend with word counts.   Many will auto-reject after just glancing at the word count, after all.

The first one had a 3.5K limit, and I was meticulous in staying under.  After I got it back (with a very encouraging, personal rejection) I put another five or six hundred words that it really needed and sent it to Clarkesworld, where it fell into the "preferred" zone.  (I've got heaps of 10K that I'm saving for e-zines specifically looking for novella length stuff.)  So in this case, I'm pretty sure it wasn't word count.  Either a small poisong pill, like a clunkety spot that soured an otherwise printable story, or it simply didn't quite intersect with what they were looking for. 

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 05:42:42 AM »
I've been in the same boat for a while now. So far I've amassed three personal rejections from professional markets. At least my stories were good enough to merit reading completely and giving me compliments, but they still just aren't quite there yet.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 12:34:12 PM »
I've been in the same boat for a while now. So far I've amassed three personal rejections from professional markets. At least my stories were good enough to merit reading completely and giving me compliments, but they still just aren't quite there yet.

Unless they actually told you that xyz was a problem, quality might not be an issue.  It could be you're simply not hitting exactly what they prefer in style, tone, or theme.  And those things can change issue to issue in some cases.  Or you could have the bad luck of some pure, highest quality competition hitting at the same time.

Not to say there isn't always room for polish and improvement, but don't automatically consider it a pure quality issue.