Author Topic: Ok, Internet cookie for the person who can do this...  (Read 5364 times)

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Ok, Internet cookie for the person who can do this...
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 02:11:07 AM »
^And Thaumaturgy.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 04:53:45 AM »
There's gotta be a summon spell in there, too. Perhaps with a "human form" type limitation attached, illustration the loss of powers at that point.

Also, you can't really roll Metalcrafting into Evocation, so there's another custom power you'd have to add (along with all of the other custom powers that various crafters get), so they're not REALLY like Wizards.
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 06:03:31 AM »
Ghs is a wizard. He pointed out what problem i was having before i could even say it. Metalcraft and some woodcraft is..difficult. Watercrafting can be Biomancy and a Supernatural Sense on top of Channeling. Earthcraft can be Channeling, Supernatural Strength with Human Form along with Incite Emotion. Firecraft can be Channeling along with Refinements and Incite Emotion. Windcraft can be Channeling, Wings, and Supernatural/Mythic Speed. Metalcraft could theoretically give a Supernatural Sense that offers a +X bonus to Weapons along with Inhuman/Supernatural Toughness sans the Armor at the "Ignore pain" level and Mythic Toughness with the Armor at the "Steel Colossus" level. I have no idea how to do woodcraft.

Again, JosephKell's version, which i will continue to shamelessly plug, has fixes for this. If i'm insane and it doesn't i will gladly write some.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 03:23:22 PM »
Even if we only do Inhuman levels of things, we're looking at 10 Refresh for a High Lord, before we factor in metal, wood, or summons (that's assuming we just plop it all down under "evocation", and don't maker people spend extra Refresh for extra elements).

So I'd say it's a pretty good system so far. Captures just what it takes to command all those furies at once.
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 04:16:17 PM »
My personal take:

All Furycrafting: Either Channeling, or Evocation. If you have only two elements, you can still buy Evocation and trade the third for a specialty. If you hit High Lord level macro-scale effects, you buy Thaumaturgy for that...only taking Elements as thematic thaumaturgy specialties. Air and Wood can do Veils, just like Spirit does.

Each area also has other powers/potential powers.

Air: Wings [-1], Inhuman through Mythic Speed [-2 to -6], with Human Form [+2] or something very similar to reflect the fact you need to activate it and it gets messed up by, say, being covered in dirt.

Earth: Incite Emotion (Lust)...rarely with much in the way of extras except maybe at range [-1 to -2, usually], Inhuman through Mythic Strength [-2 to -6] with, again, Human Form [+2] or something very like it to reflect the same activation issues as Air, and that you can't do it while not touching the ground. You only get that Human Form bonus once, no matter how many elements you've got though.

Fire: Incite Emotion (Whatever ones you like) with potentially all the extras and more...including the ability to effect everyone in a Zone (which I've always pegged at around -2), possibly something on the order of Claws [-1] if you can summon a sword of fire...or that might just be Evocation at work. A Human Form drawback like the others. Possibly Physical Immunity: Fire Only [-3]?

Water: Supernatural Senses (Empathy) [-2]...given how cool that is, Aquatic [-1], Ritual (Biomancy) [-2], Claws [-1] and other examples of combat-timescale shapeshifting if you're really good. A Human Form drawback like the others.

Metal: Inhuman through Mythic Toughness [-2 to 6], Mastery of Metal (+2 on all non-magical skill rolls directly involving metal, including Craftsmanship and most Weapons rolls) [-2], Deadly Blade (+2 to the Weapon rating of any metal weapon used) [-1]. Human Form [+2] like everyone else.

Wood: This one is the hardest. Definitely Mastery of Woodcraft (+2 on all non-magical skill rolls directly involving woodcraft, including most Survival rolls, some Stealth, and just about all Archery) [-2], Deadly Shot (+2 Weapon rating to any bow wielded) [-1], maybe throw on the Recovery powers if you want them to be available (it's thematically a solid match...but not something I think we ever see or have implied)...but even more than fire, I expect a lot of them just focus on the Evocation/Channeling side of things, especially Veils. Human Form [+2] like everyone else.

The Marat meanwhile, are a bit difficult to tell, but seem to have Inhuman Strength, Inhuman Recovery, Echoes of the Beast...and other powers as appropriate for their Totem. Doroga almost certainly has Supernatural Strength and at least Inhuman Toughness for example.

The Canim, as someone suggested, have Echoes of the Beast, Claws, Inhuman Strength, Hulking Size, and Wizard's Constitution by default, and can get other Physical powers and a very nasty form of Sponsored Magic for the ritualists.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 10:48:25 PM »
a very nasty form of Sponsored Magic for the ritualists.
This'll be hard to stat for the 'new-age' ritualists who use aleran blood to fuel their magic.  With the 'fuel reserve' external to the caster, the cost becomes difficult to assess or represent meaningfully with game mechanics.
'Traditional' ritualists fuelling their magic with their own blood, on the other hand, would have a version of spellcasting that is fuelled by physical stress and consequences rather than mental.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 11:27:12 PM »
I'll take a shot at Tavi sometime soonish.

But first:

Fire: Incite Emotion (Whatever ones you like) with potentially all the extras and more...including the ability to effect everyone in a Zone (which I've always pegged at around -2), possibly something on the order of Claws [-1] if you can summon a sword of fire...or that might just be Evocation at work.

I charge 1 Refresh for zone-wide Incite Effect, personally. But I don't allow multi-Aspect zone maneuvers, since those have ugly action-economy implications.

Oh, and Natural Weaponry expands Claws to cover stuff like swords of fire.

Mastery of Metal (+2 on all non-magical skill rolls directly involving metal, including Craftsmanship and most Weapons rolls) [-2],

Wood: This one is the hardest. Definitely Mastery of Woodcraft (+2 on all non-magical skill rolls directly involving woodcraft, including most Survival rolls, some Stealth, and just about all Archery) [-2]

I don't think this is a good idea. True Aim is pretty good, and given how powerful stacking is I'm pretty sure that double True Aim plus a bunch of stunts is too strong.

I think that halving the bonus would be fair.

This'll be hard to stat for the 'new-age' ritualists who use aleran blood to fuel their magic.  With the 'fuel reserve' external to the caster, the cost becomes difficult to assess or represent meaningfully with game mechanics.

Well, you can already inflict consequences to boost rituals. Might be able to do something with that.

PS: The Feel No Pain custom Power might be appropriate for metalcrafters.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 12:05:45 AM »
Well, you can already inflict consequences to boost rituals. Might be able to do something with that.

While they're called 'ritualists', much of what they do would be represented in the DFrpg ruleset with channelling/evocation.  Add to that that they use blood acquired significantly before-hand (treated in some way to preserve it in liquid form and retain its supernaturally energetic properties) to power their spells, rather than drawing the blood (inflicting consequences) as part of the 'ritual'.  They carry bags of the stuff to use as necessary throughout the day.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 12:14:01 AM »
Agreed, Tedronai. I'd just model them running out of blood as a compel. Perhaps the "traditionalists" could have more spell power in exchange for taking physical stress to cast? The traditionalists in the books seem to be more powerful than the "new age" ones, who use the blood of others.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 12:26:18 AM »
Do the 'new-age' ritualists then have no cost to their casting?  Because they certainly don't seem to be taking mental stress.

What makes it even worse, though, is that any Canim ritualist should be able to use either option.  The 'new-age' ones simply choosing (each time they cast) to trade the per-use potency of their own blood for staying power of not suffering the effects of blood loss (ie. physical stress and consequences).
If it wasn't for that, I'd simply suggest representing the 'new-agers' with some form of Incite Effect with appropriate upgrades.
Slough

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 12:36:17 AM »
That was along the lines of my thoughts. Old-timers get full Sponsored Magic, paid for with physical stress*. New-Agers get Incite Effect (Bloodcrafting) with whatever upgrades are deemed appropriate by the GM or player.

*Come to think of this, if the average caster Canim has Good Endurance, Inhuman Toughness, and Hulking Size, this is hella broken.That's 8 stress boxes right off the bat. I'm justifying the Inhuman Toughness as them being used to ignoring the pain and wounds of slashing open their own wrists on a regular basis.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 12:40:48 AM »
I wouldn't give them Inhuman Toughness.  Or, at least, I wouldn't do so if Canim in general were not receiving it as well.  Ritualists are not more resistant to swords, spears, and the like than are footsoldiers.
I might give them a stunt or power granting additional physical consequences, though.
Slough

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 02:00:01 AM »
Feel No Pain would work. So would additional physical consequences.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 02:20:26 AM »
I...don't like that power.
The tag provided by a consequence is not inherently tied to the pain associated with that injury.  Severed tendons (probably at least a moderate consequence, I'm sure) should certainly be able to be tagged to make it difficult for the character to run away on foot, not because the character's legs hurt, but because they no longer function properly.
Slough

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 02:33:03 AM »
Oh. Damn. I meant the name of the one Endurance stunt that gives extra physical consequences. Feel No Pain is really only appropriate for zombies and demons.