Author Topic: DmC Items of Power  (Read 3417 times)

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
DmC Items of Power
« on: January 31, 2013, 10:32:44 PM »
Ok so I'm trying to make Dante's weapons from DmC, the new Devil May Cry game. Ebony and Ivory are pretty straightforward, they are just guns that dont need to be reloaded. However in DmC, Dante's sword, Rebelion, has the ability to change into an angelic Scythe called Osiris, and can also change into the Demonic Axe Arbiter. I'm wondering how I should stat this. As far as speed goes in decending order Osiris, Rebelion, Arbiter. And the opposite for damage output. Im wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: DmC Items of Power
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 10:52:02 PM »
From the descriptions given, alone, I'd say these aren't really worth being written up as Items of Power.
Guns not needing reloading is merely an issue of not getting compelled to need to reload your guns, and as such, not worth refresh, so if those aren't also substantially better than other guns in some additional ways, then there's nothing to get a rebate on and you might as well leave it just as an aspect.
For the shapeshifting weapon, weapon ratings in the DFrpg are very coarse.  It doesn't so much matter whether your weapon is more deadly because of it's single hit damage potential or it's potential for quick consecutive attacks, it'll end up with the same or a similar weapon rating in any case.  Each of those three forms seems like it would be (for a normal version of that weapon) about weapon:3 or so.
I really don't see shifting your weapon between those three forms as being worth meaningful refresh, so I'd tack a [-0] power on there, at most, and we end up with the same problem as above.  Unless they're also better than a normal sword/axe/scythe, they aren't worth being IoPs.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Dougansf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 11:04:44 PM »
(Not knowing anything about DmC other than what you posted)

No matter the form, it's a Weapon 3.

+2 Item of Power affecting
-6 Modular Abilities (4 refresh worth of powers)

Then lock down that when in one form it gives you certain powers, namely:
Osiris gives Supernatural Speed
Rebellion gives you Inhuman Speed and Inhuman Strength
Arbiter gives you Supernatural Strength

Admittedly, these powers give you abilities beyond combat.  If that's undesired, then you'll have to figure something out for "modular skills" or similar.

Like Tedronai said, the guns just have a special aspect attached to them to prevent ammo compels.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 03:26:12 AM »
What Dougansf suggests sounds right to me, given the description.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 04:08:54 AM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 04:07:26 AM »
That actually sounds really good thanks Dougan. I also had a question, though I think I may need to PM Sancta, is it possible to have each weapon grant soul fire and hell fire, respectively?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 04:11:11 AM »
Sure...but having already grabbed the Item of Power bonus on this one that'd be expensive as hell (and a bad investment unless you have Evocation and Thaumaturgy already). Maybe just grab Evocation (possibly as an Item of Power thing) and have each gun be a Focus Item for a different Element, instead?

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 04:14:03 AM »
It's just an idea I was working with. Want planning on using it at game start. That would cost 8 refresh correct? That kind seems odd to me though. If you get a rebate for having evocation or channeling, shouldn't you get a rebate for already having one form of sponsored magic?

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 04:19:54 AM »
No, on account of the fact that it's basically like picking up Ritual and Channeling twice.  The reason you get a discount if you already have Evoction and Thaumaturgy is because you can already do everything the Sponsored Magic does.  All it adds mechanically is evothaum, sponsor debt, and whatever the extra benefit is.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 04:20:57 AM »
It's just an idea I was working with. Want planning on using it at game start. That would cost 8 refresh correct? That kind seems odd to me though. If you get a rebate for having evocation or channeling, shouldn't you get a rebate for already having one form of sponsored magic?

Nah, the rebate is for having magic that's broader than the Sponsored sort...it's for the overlap. Having two varieties of Sponsored Magic that don't interact...well, there isn't much overlap. It would give you 8 Focus Item Slots, so there's that. And cost no more than Evocation, Thaumaturgy and Soulfire...

Speaking of which, it'd be 9 Refresh, actually, because Soulfire is more expensive than other Sponsored Magic.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 04:26:00 AM »
No, on account of the fact that it's basically like picking up Ritual and Channeling twice.  The reason you get a discount if you already have Evoction and Thaumaturgy is because you can already do everything the Sponsored Magic does.  All it adds mechanically is evothaum, sponsor debt, and whatever the extra benefit is.
Just some fact-checking:
Not all Sponsored Magics offer Evothaum, and access to Sponsor Debt isn't actually worth refresh (and is, in fact, assumed to be available to EVERY character, including Pure Mortals, under certain circumstances).
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 04:28:16 AM »
Just some fact-checking:
Not all Sponsored Magics offer Evothaum, and access to Sponsor Debt isn't actually worth refresh (and is, in fact, assumed to be available to EVERY character, including Pure Mortals, under certain circumstances).

No, I know it has no mechanical +1 value or anything like that, but sponsored magic provides the mechanical and narrative justification to use it.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 04:18:54 PM »
I believe that there is a Custom power in the Custom powers list called sponsor. Its a 0 power that lets you use sponsor debt.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 04:27:37 PM »
also just to make sure I am understanding the sponsored magic rules correctly. If I have channeling - Fire and take sponsored magic Hell Fire, That cost 6 Refresh correct?

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 04:44:08 PM »
also just to make sure I am understanding the sponsored magic rules correctly. If I have channeling - Fire and take sponsored magic Hell Fire, That cost 6 Refresh correct?
I don't have the books on me, but I'm fairly sure you get a +1 rebate because you have channeling.

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
  • Zealotry in the cause of Justice is no vice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 04:49:40 PM »
I don't have the books on me, but I'm fairly sure you get a +1 rebate because you have channeling.
That is in fact incorrect. You only get the Rebate with Evocation or Thaumaturgy (Or Both!)
Morgan would have done it in 15 books.