Author Topic: Writing vs. Typing  (Read 4965 times)

Offline runawaywriter

• Participant
  • Being wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey since 1106.
    • View Profile
Writing vs. Typing
« on: January 18, 2013, 03:31:20 PM »
Every writer these days has a different method of recording their ideas. Most I've encountered prefer to type on a computer; they say it's a faster and simpler method of writing. As for me, I prefer to hand-write everything I do. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I feel like it gives me a deeper connection to the things I write. I think more about the wording, the subject, the characters, everything. Any time I try to write straight from the keyboard, I find it turns out... flat. Lifeless. Empty.

I guess the reason why I'm rambling this nonsense is that I'd like to get other writers' opinions on the matter.

So what are you? Typer or writer?

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Re: Writing vs. Typing
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 03:57:09 PM »
For many years I was a writer; not that I felt any more of a connection with the words, I was just convinced that I couldn't think in front of a keyboard. Not to mention, manual typewriters are bloody hard! Eventually I made the transition in the 1990's to first a daisy wheel word processor and then to a PC, and I gradually realized that the method didn't really matter. Now that I've fully transitioned to a laptop I wonder how I ever managed to write anything without it.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 05:05:48 PM »
Writing by hand is too slow; I type significantly faster than I talk, and that keeps up with how I think much better.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 05:26:15 PM »
I do both, depending what is available.

I sometimes only note take when I write then flesh it out at the keyboard later.

Offline Timeline

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 11:19:18 PM »
I use a keyboard because it's faster and makes editing and sharing a breeze. Handwriting has a certain appeal to it, but that appeal isn't pronounced enough to overcome the pro's of a keyboard. For me, at least.

Full disclosure: I was raised in the digital age.

Offline runawaywriter

• Participant
  • Being wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey since 1106.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 12:32:27 AM »
I was raised in the digital age as well. I'm 18. You'd think I'd be living on my computer or cell phone. I don't really; it's all well and good of course, it just tends to bother me. I don't know why writing appeals to me more than typing, but it just does. Perhaps I'm strange, but that's me, I suppose.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 03:21:21 AM »
It's whatever works for you, RAW. (runawaywriter)
I used to be a writer - now, I'm slowly transitioning into a typer.
But I like to have a hard copy that I can mark up and make notes on
and if I don't have access to the computer then I'll hand write stuff.
It all works.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 02:12:45 PM »
Yeah, whatever works.  Typing is far easier for me, and without Scrivener to make organization easy and efficient I'd give up and cry or something.

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 07:45:02 PM »
A practicing psychologist I know has told me that writing by hand actually opens up different pathways in the brain. Because of this, thoughts are configured differently when writing through this method. I've experimented with it and found that, for me, it does work really well for stream of conscious type writing or brainstorming. But at the end of the day word processing is much easier and more efficient for me.

Do whatever works best for you. Write. Write lots.  :)
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 10:56:31 AM »
I used to write... when I first started, but now when I have time to right I normally am on the laptop typing. I can type faster then most people talk. (not as fast as I can talk, but I talk really fast sometimes)

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 02:45:54 PM »
A practicing psychologist I know has told me that writing by hand actually opens up different pathways in the brain. Because of this, thoughts are configured differently when writing through this method. I've experimented with it and found that, for me, it does work really well for stream of conscious type writing or brainstorming. But at the end of the day word processing is much easier and more efficient for me.

Do whatever works best for you. Write. Write lots.  :)

I have heard the same thing. I find a mixture works best for me. If I try to do it all by hand it takes too long and I'll never get done but there are sometimes that there is something that I need to write by hand to get the feel right and typing it out just won't get the job done.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 05:14:23 PM »
My handwriting is terribly slow and barely legible most of the time.  So I type.  But when editing I do prefer to have a hardcopy that I can hgihlight, circle, and generally scribble all over.  So when I get the opportunity I print things out for that. But if I didnt have access to a relatively free laser printer  I dont know that it would be worth it. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 05:23:14 PM »
I need a printer...
Typing up my notes is usually a good editing moment for me.

Offline marrer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 07:01:49 AM »
When I write I try to do it on the computer, not because of how I grew up, or that I don't like hand writing my stuff (I do); I do my writing on the computer because that is the only way I keep up with my head.  Its kind of like an explosion...all of my thoughts shooting out at once.  Hand writing is great, and personally it is more reliable than the computer, I've lost tons of stuff over the years for various reason.  I don't really lose anything hand written unless well someone messes with my stuff then its just gone heheh.  Both methods are great, I just tend to miss thoughts here and there that could've added more flavor to the story.

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 12:26:53 PM »
I used to be all, "Typing is the way to go!" but I found recently that with a full time job, my wife and our two toddlers that finding dedicated time to sit at a desk and write was far and few between. Add to that - when I write on the computer it's so darned easy to edit as you go I was essentially getting nowhere because I kept changing things.

So I began to handwrite on a notepad whenever I got the chance, while sitting watching the boys play, or in the car taking a long trip, or even during a lunch break at work. And to be honest I'm getting a lot more done now. Using a pen and notepad I'm able to allow myself to write messy, and then once it's time for me to type it up, not only am I more efficient at the computer, but I'm able to revise my hand written draft during the transfer, so it's almost like the handwritten draft is the first draft and the typed is the second.

So you say writing vs typing? I say let there be peace between the two!
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)