Author Topic: A question  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Erlking

• Participant
    • View Profile
A question
« on: July 01, 2007, 09:18:58 PM »
I couldn't find an answer with a search here, I guess I could google an answer maybe but it involves Mr. Butcher's works.

Is it allowed to write stories in another persons "universe" not to publish in a book of course but with the intent of sharing with others like on this board?

I wanted to try writing a story involving Billy and the Alphas during those years that went by in the books. Some things that happened to them that made them what they are now in the later books. Or maybe have to ask permission?

Who knows, maybe could be good enough for Mr. Butcher to say "That ain't bad I wanna use that". That would be so cool  :D 

Yes I am a total newb to writing professionally  ;)
Where am I... and why am I in a handbasket?

Offline skaoi

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: A question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 01:28:07 AM »
while i can't answer as to how 'okay' it would be, what you are talking about is called "fanfiction."  there's a whole thread on it and whether it is evil or not.  kinda split down the middle...

Offline Fade

• Posty McPostington
  • TrottelTruppe #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 01:30:45 AM »
ask iago

see the thing is fanfic can be bad for an author cause you can claim ownership if he uses any of your work.
Zerstören
Ich will ein guter Junge sein
Doch das Verlangen holt mich ein
Ich muss zerstören

Angst Ist Tod
Platypuses are sexy.

Offline 3by2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 01:36:41 AM »
ask iago

see the thing is fanfic can be bad for an author cause you can claim ownership if he uses any of your work.

i dont really read fanfics and i dont know much about this stuff so i'm curious.  you can write something that's based on someone else's already established (and paid) work, and then when that other person uses the idea you can turn around and say "that's mine"?  is this a legal thing or more of a reputation thing?

Offline Fade

• Posty McPostington
  • TrottelTruppe #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 01:47:09 AM »
i dont really read fanfics and i dont know much about this stuff so i'm curious.  you can write something that's based on someone else's already established (and paid) work, and then when that other person uses the idea you can turn around and say "that's mine"?  is this a legal thing or more of a reputation thing?
well you can try
its just a big hassle for the writer
ask iago though hed know
Zerstören
Ich will ein guter Junge sein
Doch das Verlangen holt mich ein
Ich muss zerstören

Angst Ist Tod
Platypuses are sexy.

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 01:58:08 AM »

Is it allowed to write stories in another persons "universe" not to publish in a book of course but with the intent of sharing with others like on this board?

In the meantime, you are welcome to come play with us on the DresdenVerse Role Playing Forum where we either take up the persona of one of JB's characters, or create one of our own that can exist within the confines of the Dresdenverse. Any ideas you come up with are fair game for JB's future storylines, know that goign in. But it's a heck of a lot of fun and an AMAZING way to stretch your talents and learn the craft of improv writing!

www.hellsbells.freeforums.org

Read the back stories well before you post... the writing is pretty good, and the players are are pretty serious about the integrity of the storylines, but jump in! The water's perfect!
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D