Author Topic: Mickey.... maybe we need a Corner Table for politics & war, other issues  (Read 12635 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
As the election is just now warming up out in the heartland and based on the immediate and strong opinions on the Iraq War thread, perhaps we need a special topic catagory.  I suggest the name Corner Table, (from Mac's of course!).

The war thread seems to be getting into several topics that each could hold their own thread.  Central location seems reasonable. 

Candidates
War in Iraq
Supreme court decisions
Women's issues
Stem Cell
etc....

Could even have a hot seat area where two opposite sides (mono on mono) for a pre-set time period could take each other on to the amusement of the adult community.

Just a thought!  Have a super summer.  Don't forget to pick your candidate and stomp the pavement for them.  Every little bit helps!

Meg in IA  (It took long enough for an active Iowan, but I've just set my hopes on Hillary.)
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline CarolM

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob, Forever with us
    • View Profile
What are you electing?
Before anyone shoots me, may I remind you that I'm English and have never really worked out what you do in the US with your elections or what/who exactly you are electing to what.
i already know that elections can be fixed. I don't need to be reminded or to know your evaluations of the validity of previous elections.
THANK YOU.
Carol

Bob: in our hearts forever.

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
I dunno, I think having the Politics thread is making people get heated up in here in stead of relaxing.  Of course, I self censor by not going... 
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I dunno, I think having the Politics thread is making people get heated up in here in stead of relaxing.  Of course, I self censor by not going... 

Makes two of us who stay away from it. To quote Bertolt Brecht:

"Drink your silvovitz,
Drink your beer,
But talk no politics in here.

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
If Iago wants to create a sub-thread board for it, in an effort to push all talk of politics over there (with the rule of what happens in Vegas....), I'll moderate it.
I figure it's going to get talked about, better to have a thread (or board) to keep it contained.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline 3by2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile

yup yup.

too often it goes real bad real fast.  and with the elections coming it's only gonna get more volatile.  i get mad enough following things on the news.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog

I don't know.  For me its kind of fun.  A corner table would be fine... but it seems like the two political threads are going good so far.  No one's really started throwing any names around yet.

Although I do wonder what'll happen when Ballplayer and Uncle Draggi eventually go head to head.  They both seem to get a bit excited over their points... and they do seem on opposite end of the spectrum from eachother :))

The Deposed King
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 11:30:42 AM by The Deposed King »

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
The following is (for the moment) a statement of preference and not a confirmation of policy.

In the past, when this was a mailing list, politics were off-limits.  There were reasons for that.

I would prefer politics to be absent from the board alltogether. 

Why?  It never does good things for a board.  Political (and, honestly, religious) discussions lead to:

a) Thread bloat
b) Bad feelings
c) Banned users

All of which I hate seeing happen on my boards.

If folks are ready to risk that, well, Mickey's in charge there.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

ToddM326

I'm against it, so I've been staying away from those threads all together.

I come here for the discussion about "Jim Butcher and things his fans think are cool".

I'm sure that there are plenty of other places where people can go talk about religion & politics.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 03:57:52 PM by ToddM326 »

Offline Buttersfly

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
I come here for the discussion about "Jim Butcher and things his fans think are cool".

I'm sure that there are plenty of other places where people can go talk about religion & politics.

So did I to begin with, but it seems that religion and politics are cool to some people.  The religion thread got through 200+ postings without war breaking out, and I learned a lot.  The political threads so far have been models of thoughtful discussion and mutual respect--partly because we know we have something important in common (Jim's books & the series). 

And, yes, there are other places, but this feels like home or a great coffee shop, it's the best forum I've ever found, I like the other people here--all of them--and I don't want to screw it up.

On the other hand, if politics gets banned, it won't ruin my day.  But I need something meaty to think about while waiting for the renewal decision to come down.  A girl can only take so many Xanax in a day. ;)
"But writing is different because you do not have to learn or practise it and it is more tempermental because practising seems to take all the temperment out of me."  --Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Offline Buttersfly

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
What are you electing?
Before anyone shoots me, may I remind you that I'm English and have never really worked out what you do in the US with your elections or what/who exactly you are electing to what.

Right now we're working up to the party primaries and caucuses.  There are debates being televised as the hopefuls try to secure enough support for each party's nomination for the 2008 presidential election.  There are also the websites, television appearances, editorials, and talking heads vaporing endlessly.  Part of the heightened tension comes from a change in the scheduling of some of the more important votes:  they're having the Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire primaries earlier than ever before.  They make everyone nervous because historically they've been almost infallible predictors of the nominees and even the next president. 

I suppose the closest parallel to the UK experience would be having both parties electing new leaders at the same time.
"But writing is different because you do not have to learn or practise it and it is more tempermental because practising seems to take all the temperment out of me."  --Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Offline CarolM

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob, Forever with us
    • View Profile

Firstly it would seem that some of Jim's fans do think about religion & politics.
Secondly, most of the forums I've seen ban the discussion of religion and politics.
Thirdly I can I find out what people on the other side of the world think, or eventually get to find out just what the difference between Republicans and Democrats is. I don't agree with all I read, but at least I can sometimes see where the ideas are coming from.
Thank you Buttersfly, (As a child I call butterflys, Flutterbys, so ever time my eyes see your screen name part of my brain scrambles it. ;D )
Carol

Bob: in our hearts forever.

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Firstly it would seem that some of Jim's fans do think about religion & politics.
Secondly, most of the forums I've seen ban the discussion of religion and politics.
Thirdly I can I find out what people on the other side of the world think, or eventually get to find out just what the difference between Republicans and Democrats is. I don't agree with all I read, but at least I can sometimes see where the ideas are coming from.
Thank you Buttersfly, (As a child I call butterflys, Flutterbys, so ever time my eyes see your screen name part of my brain scrambles it. ;D )

Or how 'bout seeing what's up with the Libertarians? Bicameralism is so... dull, to me at least. I'd rather sit on the fence.

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
In the US, we have a two party system. Republican/Democrat, and everybody else.

(Sorry, every now and then, I channel Mark Twain.)
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline Fade

• Posty McPostington
  • TrottelTruppe #1
    • View Profile
In the US, we have a two party system. Republican/Democrat, and everybody else.

(Sorry, every now and then, I channel Mark Twain.)
see i think we need more party's

2 can not represent an entire nation.
Zerstören
Ich will ein guter Junge sein
Doch das Verlangen holt mich ein
Ich muss zerstören

Angst Ist Tod
Platypuses are sexy.