Author Topic: NPCs for my game  (Read 2290 times)

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
NPCs for my game
« on: January 16, 2013, 06:47:33 PM »
I'm getting ready to start up another DFRPG game for a few of my friends. Refresh level is 12 (one of the players wants to play her character from my first game, so I upped the starting refresh... I normally only do Submerged). We'll only have two players, a demon tainted Nephilim (angel scion that has been tainted in utero by a possessing demon) and the Mortal Knight to Kaminari (a summer aligned storm fae lady).

I just wanted to post up some of my NPCs so that they can be critiqued and tweaked. If anybody wants to use them, post them to resource lists, etc, by all means do so.

Rabbi Baruch Goldman
High Concept: Kabbalahic Wizard
Trouble: My Higher Authority Trumps Your White Council
Other Aspects: Dark Deeds For The Greater Good; I Know Things That Know Things

Skills:
+5: Conviction, Lore
+4: Alertness,  Discipline
+3: Contacts, Empathy, Rapport
+2: Intimidation, Endurance, Presence, Resources
+1: Athletics, Deceit, Investigation, Scholarship

Mortal Stunts:
Person of Conviction

Powers:
Evocation -3 (Spirit, Fire, Water, +1 Control for Spirit)
Thaumaturgy -3 (Summoning, +1 Summoning Complexity)
The Sight -1
Soul Gaze -0
Wizard's Constitution -0
Righteousness -2
Item of power: Robes of the Neshamah -2
(affecting:)
Inhuman Toughness -2
Inhuman Recovery -2
Catch +1 (Attacks made with Spirit Magic)

Focus Items:
Ruach Staff - +1 Offensive Control for Spirit/+1  Defensive Control for Spirit
Book of Names - +1 Summoning Power/+1 Summoning Complexity

Physical: OOO(OO)
Mental: OOOO +1 mild
Social: OOOO +1 mild

Refresh Spent: -11
Total Refresh: 13
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 07:34:46 PM by bobjob »
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: NPCs for my game
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 07:17:26 PM »
That's a minimum of a +1 Catch from availability (most Wizards have it), and possibly more depending on how well-known it is.

Also, as a rule, Righteousness requires Bless This House and Guide Your Hand, the second of which is even useful and relevant, so, since he's an NPC, I'd be inclined to give him those, too.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 07:33:56 PM »
That's a minimum of a +1 Catch from availability (most Wizards have it), and possibly more depending on how well-known it is.

Also, as a rule, Righteousness requires Bless This House and Guide Your Hand, the second of which is even useful and relevant, so, since he's an NPC, I'd be inclined to give him those, too.

I'll change the catch. Thank you... I wasn't sure on the refresh cost.

As for the Righteousness, where does it say the other powers are a requirement? I couldn't find it in the book  (like Righteousness is a requirement for Holy Touch)
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 07:40:31 PM »
It technically doesn't...but the only Templates featuring it (the True Believer and Champion of God) both have those as required. And, per the book, those are the only way to get it. Now, if doing a custom template you can get around that, but this guy really just looks like a Wizard + True Believer, so he should probably follow the rules of such.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 08:00:50 PM »
There's really no reason to stick to canon Templates if they get in the way of what you want to do.

Righteousness is narratively appropriate and mechanically balanced on this character. So he can have it.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 08:10:58 PM »
There's really no reason to stick to canon Templates if they get in the way of what you want to do.

Righteousness is narratively appropriate and mechanically balanced on this character. So he can have it.

Oh,true enough, I'm arguing so are the other two, more than anything else. If he were a PC and precise Refresh were an issue, I wouldn't even bring it up...but you can be a little more flexible with NPCs.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 08:32:22 PM »
Oh,true enough, I'm arguing so are the other two, more than anything else. If he were a PC and precise Refresh were an issue, I wouldn't even bring it up...but you can be a little more flexible with NPCs.

I agree with both of you. I just didn't see any requirements for the power when I took it. It was appropriate to the character, but the power and the others are a must for the template, which I am borrowing from.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 12:54:27 AM »
A local Venatori Umbrorum member in the city of Austin. He has been sent here to keep an eye on things after the events of one of my last sessions.

Donald Hightower
High Concept: Venatori Umbrorum Diviner
Other Aspects: I've Seen SH!T That Will Turn You White; Connections In The Council; If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Skills:
Alertness: +1
Contacts: +1
Conviction: +3
Discipline: +2
Driving: +1
Empathy: +1
Guns: +3
Investigation: +1
Lore: +4
Presence: +2
Resources: +2
Scholarship: +3

Mortal Stunts:
Gun-Fu -1 (may use Guns to Dodge as long as the gun is in his hand)
Finely Tuned Eye -1
Occultist (Vampires; Red Court Vampires) -1
Occultist (Demons; Hunter Killer Demons) -1

Powers:
Ritual (Divination) -2

Focus: Crystal Ball (+1 Complexity/+1 )Control

Physical: OO
Mental: OOOO
Social: OOO

Total Refresh Spent: -6
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 01:31:46 AM by bobjob »

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 12:57:48 AM »
With no Athletics or Endurance, he's really fragile. You might want to get him some of those, or a Stunt letting him use Guns to dodge or something if you want him to not literally go down when anyone makes any attack on him.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 01:29:32 AM »
Not a bad idea. I've added the mortal stunt Gun-Fu. He'd also have kevlar armor and a pistol most of the time, but I never did intend this guy to be more than a vanilla mortal who can throw some fire down range. He's more of an info guy.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 01:51:03 AM »
Yeah, I figured, but the Guns score argued he was supposed to be able to fight...

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 06:14:38 AM »
Silas Beesley

High Concept: Hell's Debt Collector

Trouble: On Heaven's Short List Of Things To Do

Other Concepts: Wielder of Perdition's Flame; A Liar And A Cheat; Keeps Going And Going; Shoot First, Shoot Later, Shoot Some More And Then When Everybody's Dead Try To Ask A Question Or Two

Skills:
Fantastic (+6): Guns, Intimidation
Superb (+5):  Athletics, Deceit
Great (+4): Alertness, Investigation
Good (+3): Endurance, Stealth, Survival
Fair (+2): Conviction, Fists, Presence
Average (+1): Burglary, Contacts, Craftsmanship, Discipline, Lore

Stunts:
Target-Rich Environment
Hunter

Powers:
Marked by Power -1
Living Dead -1
Ghost Speaker -1
Cloak of Shadows -1
Supernatural Toughness -4
The Catch +2 (Holy items and expressions of Faith)

Item of Power (Perdition's Flame, Colt Single Action Revolver, Model P. Weapon:3) -8
Skills Affected: Athletics, Alertness, Intimidation, Guns
It Is What It Is: It's a Colt Peacemaker and concealable. +1
Incite Emotion (Fear, using Intimidation; At Range, Lasting Emotion) -3
Supernatural Senses (Smell Fear) -1
Inhuman Speed -2
From Hell's Heart -3 (same as All Creatures are Equal Before God)

Stress:
Physical: OOOO(OOOO) Armor:2
Mental: OOO

Refresh: -16
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 06:48:09 PM by bobjob »

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 06:26:16 AM »
Grahame Youngblood
High Concept: Prescient Mercenary For Hire
Trouble: Conscience Is A Sh!tty Navigator
Aspects: GET TO THE CHOPPA!

Skills:
Superb (+5): Guns, Lore
Great (+4): Burglary, Deceit
Good (+3): Contacts, Endurance
Fair (+2): Fists, Rapport, Resources
Average (+1): Athletics, Intimidation, Investigation, Presence, Stealth

Mortal Stunts:
Practiced Prescient-  +2 to Lore when rolling against surprise
I Know What You're Going To Do - May use Lore instead of Alertness for Physical Initiative
I Know What You're Going To Say-  May use Lore instead of Empathy for Social Initiative

Powers:
A Few Seconds Ahead (Minor Ability) [-1]
Grahame can use his Lore skill to get a reasonably accurate picture of events 1-2 seconds ahead of now (limited to what he will experience). He may use his Lore skill to defend against physical or social attacks or maneuvers.

Stress:
Physical: OOOO
Mental: OO

Refresh: -4
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:41:44 PM by bobjob »

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 06:34:42 AM »
Silas only defends at Good in physical combat and Fair in social combat. This may be a little low for what you're aiming for, especially physically. Dunno.

On Grahame...you appear to have misunderstood 'A Few Seconds Ahead'...or something. It replaces defensive skills like Athletics, but does nothing for stress tracks...so your stress tracks are wrong (should be 4 Physical, 3 Social, no extra consequences).

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 01:53:51 PM »
Silas only defends at Good in physical combat and Fair in social combat. This may be a little low for what you're aiming for, especially physically. Dunno.

On Grahame...you appear to have misunderstood 'A Few Seconds Ahead'...or something. It replaces defensive skills like Athletics, but does nothing for stress tracks...so your stress tracks are wrong (should be 4 Physical, 3 Social, no extra consequences).

Yeah, I need to keep working on Silas. As for Grahame, I realized what I did after I turned off my laptop, but was too tired to get back up and fix it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:07:46 PM by bobjob »

Playing:
Shale Buckby