Author Topic: Twilight vamps  (Read 11493 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Twilight vamps
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2013, 07:58:33 PM »
I recommend Charles de Lint.

That aside, if anybody wants to write up the sparklepires or the statuepires as a proper Template I'm willing to help. And of course I'll add anything that gets made to the list.

Offline tymire

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2013, 09:16:58 PM »
Uh...you and I have not been reading the same urban fantasy. And most of mine's been written by female writers, too. So, uh, I disagree? Would you like some recommendations?

Bah just ignore me, as I am exaggerating a bit (hmm admiting that probably breaks an internet law).  Just saying that ever since Hamilton's Anita Blake Vampire Slayer series came out the market has exploded, which is good, however it's mostly a hit or miss on if a book/series is worth reading.  It's common to see a lack in setting design, consistency, and character development.  It goes back to the question if you can easily tell if the writers are in love with, or wish they where their characters.  I get the feeling this is more the case from some of the female writers I have read over male ones *shrugs*. (Note: This is all just mostly a feeling, I haven't started making lists or anything like that)

But sure send me a list, am always open to reading things others recommend. 

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2013, 12:44:02 AM »
B Just saying that ever since Hamilton's Anita Blake Vampire Slayer series came out the market has exploded, which is good, however it's mostly a hit or miss on if a book/series is worth reading. 

But sure send me a list, am always open to reading things others recommend.

Not to mention she is hit or miss and half her books involve more sex in various kinds of way then i really feel like reading. I love the hollows series almost as good as a dresden maybe as good, if your looking for a good series.

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2013, 02:29:12 AM »
I was told Kim Harrison isn't that bad, but haven't read any of her work. 
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2013, 02:46:05 AM »
I highly recommend Patricia Briggs 'Mercy Thompson' series to anyone who likes the Dresden Files. Very similar...attitudes, both on the author's and characters' parts.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2013, 04:07:27 AM »
I highly recommend Patricia Briggs 'Mercy Thompson' series to anyone who likes the Dresden Files. Very similar...attitudes, both on the author's and characters' parts.

Tbh, I tried MT because of reccomendations I got from other DF fans - and while it was good, I didn't really like it.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2013, 04:19:24 AM »
Tbh, I tried MT because of reccomendations I got from other DF fans - and while it was good, I didn't really like it.

*shrugs* Not to everyone's tastes I'm sure, I just think there's a fair amount of overlap there.

Offline Adin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2013, 05:52:47 AM »
PS: Love the write up for those Adin.  Only issue is that starting with having mythic EVERYTHING might be a bit much.  If they did, I would make it where they can be dominated by any that are older and have little to no free will and are not driven completely mad by bloodlust (or they would just kill anything they see).  Also you might want to consider making it where creating one is a major undertaking and somehow links them to their creator, that would get rid of the possibly of creating a bunch to use as disposables which has also been done to death.

Yeah I was thinking something like that for my 'porcelain doll' or ivory court statuepyres, I picture a circle of elder crystal statues with one caretaker young vampire that is essentially a tool of the collective.  When the caretaker ages too far it regains much of it's suppressed free will and becomes a new elder with it's last act being the creation of a new caretaker.  When there are more than 13 elders an extra caretaker is made and the hive splits.  (This court not intended for PC use.)  You can tell how long an elder has been immobile by how far it's outer surface has worn down. 

If one of you wants to try templating them up be my guest, if not I'll dust off my book and give it a shot in a few days.

I was told Kim Harrison isn't that bad, but haven't read any of her work. 

I read Dead Witch Walking recently on a recommendation and was pleasantly surprised.  From the cover I wouldn't have thought it would appeal to me. 

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2013, 04:06:30 PM »
I read Dead Witch Walking recently on a recommendation and was pleasantly surprised.  From the cover I wouldn't have thought it would appeal to me.

this is the first book of the Hallows series, one of the best i've ever read, now thee is a magic system id like to play.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2013, 05:18:41 AM »
That blogging of Twilight is an awesome black hole, I'm both glad and hate you for that link.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2013, 05:21:12 AM »
That blogging of Twilight is an awesome black hole, I'm both glad and hate you for that link.

You're both welcome...and welcome.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline PapaD

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2013, 01:33:44 PM »
For Dresden like stories (with a British twist) try the Ben Aaronovitch Novels (Starting with Rivers of London)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2013, 04:51:55 AM »
If one of you wants to try templating them up be my guest, if not I'll dust off my book and give it a shot in a few days.

So, you gonna do this?

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2013, 05:07:56 AM »
Templating which ones? The half-sidhe, the ivory statues, Feeding Brick:The Requiem, or the Diamond Court?
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2013, 05:24:42 AM »
The statues.