Author Topic: Spell Checker  (Read 9675 times)

Offline seiscat

• Conversationalist
  • Got cream?
    • View Profile
Spell Checker
« on: June 29, 2007, 01:56:43 AM »
I did try to search this area before I posted this since it seems like it would have been asked.

Why don't we have a spell checker?  We perfectists are in pain.  I actually drop most of my posts into an email first to do a spell check.

There is no such thing as just a cat.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Spell Checker
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 05:26:20 AM »
This site has enough problems with the CPU as it is.  Let's not add in another computation sucker, eh?
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline CarolM

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob, Forever with us
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 07:46:00 AM »
I have Ask Oxford (the online Oxford English dictionary) as one of my favourites. It doesn't protect against typos or what I do if typing in a hurry, hitting the letters next to the ones I intend to or even as well as the intended ones. :-[
I have been known to type the post on another board, use their spellcheck (US and UK spellings) copy it to here and delete the post before posting it on that board.
Carol

Bob: in our hearts forever.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 01:14:53 PM »
I have Ask Oxford (the online Oxford English dictionary) as one of my favourites. It doesn't protect against typos or what I do if typing in a hurry, hitting the letters next to the ones I intend to or even as well as the intended ones. :-[
I have been known to type the post on another board, use their spellcheck (US and UK spellings) copy it to here and delete the post before posting it on that board.

I believe some browsers have it built in natively, and others may have plugins as well.  Regardless I prefer this as a client-side solution, not a server-side one.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline tagnizkur

• Conversationalist
  • 1 IN 88 The numbers grow!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.walknowforautism.org/chicago/personal/brothersforlife
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 06:34:07 PM »
I believe some browsers have it built in natively, and others may have plugins as well.  Regardless I prefer this as a client-side solution, not a server-side one.

Everyone....

Get a MAC....  hey.. MAC... MacNallys...   WOOT

anyway...  google toolbar has a spell checker.  Macs have the browser option built in...
My Sons Page, click to support us in the walk.
http://www.walknowforautism.org/chicago/personal/brothersforlife
Autism Speaks, Its Time to Listen.

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 07:16:07 PM »
Firefox 2 has a built-in spell checker. If you don't already have it, I highly recommend it. It's just so much better than IE.
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 08:23:01 PM »
Firefox 2 has a built-in spell checker. If you don't already have it, I highly recommend it. It's just so much better than IE.
Last time I tried switching to Firefox 2, it lost all my bookmarks (or rather, left them behind with the earlier version).  I reverted right away, and I haven't changed since!

But hopefully they've gotten the transition process more smoothed out.
Fred Hicks

Offline The Dread Pharaoh Roberts

• Posty McPostington
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Family friendly tees, mugs, posters, etc...
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 09:36:33 PM »
Last time I tried switching to Firefox 2, it lost all my bookmarks (or rather, left them behind with the earlier version).  I reverted right away, and I haven't changed since!

But hopefully they've gotten the transition process more smoothed out.

My bookmarks moved over from IE when I switched.  And I love the spellchecker Firefox provides.  Even if it doesn't recognize "spellchecker" as a word.
Your Pharaoh Has Spoken...

Online portfolio: http://samurphy0320.deviantart.com/

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 09:51:04 PM »
My bookmarks moved over from IE when I switched.  And I love the spellchecker Firefox provides.  Even if it doesn't recognize "spellchecker" as a word.

My problem was more the bookmarks from the 1.x version of Firefox not coming over. Don't much care about IE. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 03:51:08 AM »
My problem was more the bookmarks from the 1.x version of Firefox not coming over. Don't much care about IE. :)

I had the same problem.  I don't remember exactly how, but all I had to do was find a particular file and rename it.  Voila!  Bookmarks return :)

I love my built-in spell-checker :D  For example, right now, it's telling me that voila is spelled wrong ;)
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline CarolM

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob, Forever with us
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 09:56:52 AM »
I had the same problem.  I don't remember exactly how, but all I had to do was find a particular file and rename it.  Voila!  Bookmarks return :)

I love my built-in spell-checker :D  For example, right now, it's telling me that voila is spelled wrong ;)
Votre spell=checker ne parle pas Francois? Moi, aussi, je ne parle pas le Francais.
Carol

Bob: in our hearts forever.

Offline seiscat

• Conversationalist
  • Got cream?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 04:50:33 PM »
SEGY is a type of tape format and Word wanted to substitute SEXY until I fixed my dictionary.  I wonder how many reports have gotten through without someone catching it. ;D
There is no such thing as just a cat.

ToddM326

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 02:44:32 PM »
anyway...  google toolbar has a spell checker.  Macs have the browser option built in...

Very cool!  I've never noticed that before!