Author Topic: Dresden Files: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 1938  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Hadeshorn

• Participant
    • View Profile
Dresden Files: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 1938
« on: January 08, 2013, 05:59:24 PM »
So I finally came through on a promise/threat to run a Dresden Files based LXG Game for one of my groups, based in 1938. 

Currently the "roster" is as follows:

Sherlock Holmes
The Shadow (Lamont Cranston)
John Coffey (The Green Mile)
King Arthur (Reverse of "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court")
Teddy Roosevelt (American version of Alan Quartermaine)

The base plot is that Allistair Crowley and his cronies (So far I'm thinking Dracula and Rasputin) are manipulating Hitler in order to cover up their fiendish plot to combine Frankenstien's necromancy and various other things to create an army of super undead monsters. 

I'd love any questions, comments and/or feedback as I continue to post about this in hopes of creating an overall better experience for my players.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 1938
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 06:02:39 PM »
I'm guessing you're going for a pulp fiction feel?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 06:32:56 PM »
Crowley, Dracula, and Rasputin are good, solid, villains. That said, having the other two minions of Crowley? Probably a bad call. Of the three, he's youngest and in all likelihood least personally scary. And having them manipulate just Hitler is a bit off. Having, say, Crowley manipulating the British, Dracula the Nazis, and Raputin the Russians in a similar fashion is a bit more plausible and expands the scope of their plan...and provide globetrotting fun as they investigate each segment of the plot, or time pressure as they strive to disrupt a meeting between the three.

In terms of PCs, John Coffey's debatably a bad choice due to being from fiction about the era, not fiction from the era (unlike the original League), though if you're opening that door, Indiana Jones might be a cool addition. Doc Savage also seems like a must if you're going pulp...though perhaps overpowered, so I suppose a reference might be sufficient. Are these from your players directly? If so, it's not a bad lineup, but not an ideal one either...if not, I'd leave it up to them, people all have their favorite characters, after all.

Offline Hadeshorn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 07:40:44 PM »
I did a bit of research and put together a "master list" of choices for them to pick from.  I read the idea of Coffey from another forum and liked the idea.  We're essentially playing him as a good version of Solomon Grundy. 

Here's the actual list I put together:

For some of these, I've listed authors meaning you can play the author or any of their characters.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Character List:

Teddy Roosevelt
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Edgar Allen Poe
Jack London
Harry Houdini
Alexander Dumas
Benjamin Franklin
Peter Pan
The Shadow
Agatha Christie
Rudyard Kipling
Edgar Rice Burroughs
John Coffey
The Phantom
Dick Tracy
The Lone Ranger/Tonto
Green Hornet
Mary Shelley
Bram Stoker
Christopher Robin
Doctor Dolittle
L. Frank Baum
John Carter
The Phantom of the Opera

As far as the pulp feel goes, yeah, I was originally going to use SotC for this game but when I decided on using Crowley and company as Villains as well as allowing the Shadow, I figured some of the powers and such from DFRPG would work a little better.

I should also throw in that the "M" for the team is Tesla.  I was originally going to allow him as a PC option but decided I liked him as M a little better.  There were some other options that I would have allowed had someone asked, Indiana Jones being one of them, along with Captain America or even Batman.

The guys playing Arthur and Coffey respectively aren't overly familiar with the pulp genre so I think that's why they decided on those.  Arthur was originally going to play HG Wells but changed his mind.  I'm genuinely surprised no one picked Dick Tracy or the Phantom, other than they might have felt redundant with Holmes and the Shadow already there.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 07:51:06 PM »
I would have gladly picked Dolittle.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 12:16:10 AM »
Crowley, Dracula, and Rasputin are good, solid, villains. That said, having the other two minions of Crowley?

If Crowley is indeed "The Great Beast" then they could be his minions.  I mean, Crowley used to brag that his own mother once called him the Anti-Christ.

There's some good pulp crossover in Farmer's writings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Jos%C3%A9_Farmer points you to some of his pulp mash ups - including a Tarzan and Sherlock Holmes team up.  And then there's the Wold Newton family - a series that links Sherlock Holmes, Tarzan, Doc Savage, Lord Peter Wimsey, Solomon Kane; Captain Blood; The Scarlet Pimpernel; Sherlock Holmes's nemesis Professor Moriarty; Phileas Fogg; The Time Traveller (main character of The Time Machine by H. G. Wells); Allan Quatermain; A.J. Raffles; Professor Challenger; Richard Hannay; Bulldog Drummond; the evil Fu Manchu and his adversary, Sir Denis Nayland Smith; G-8; The Shadow; Sam Spade; Doc Savage's cousin Patricia Savage, and one of his five assistants, Monk Mayfair; The Spider; Nero Wolfe; Mr. Moto; The Avenger; Philip Marlowe; James Bond; Lew Archer; Travis McGee; Monsieur Lecoq; and Arsène Lupin.
(Yes, I did paste that in from wiki).

Not all of his works are pulp, but they can easily serve as a starting point.

Richard

Offline Hadeshorn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 06:31:39 PM »
I'm thinking for the initial phase of the campaign, I'm going to send them off to Africa in search of some sort of mystic artifact. This way I can introduce my unfamiliar players with a bit of classic pulp elements.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 08:00:44 PM »
Like Africa.

Offline easl

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 01:29:30 AM »
I'd add Sidney Reilly to the list - the British agent on which James Bond was based.  He would've been 65 in 1938, had he lived that long - in RL he didn't but maybe in your world, he did!

Offline Hadeshorn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 04:41:05 PM »
I will keep that in mind!

The team is assembled and I'm going to send them off to Egypt to try and stop agents of the Enemy from stealing the Book of the Dead. I can borrow heavily from "The Mummy" and introduce some classic pulp to get my newbies' feet wet in the genre.

Offline Hadeshorn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 03:45:17 AM »
After thinking about it, and having some revelations due to rereading Ghost Story, I've decided that the Big Bad will be none other than Kemmler himself.  He's exactly the sort of Magnificent Evil Bastard to try and pull this level of scheme off.  Plus its hinted that he may or may not have been responsible for both World Wars.

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 03:02:06 PM »
I like this idea.
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 04:22:12 PM »
Very cool.  One thing...  I would think that if you really want the League feel you should try mimicing the plot of a novel somewhat.  I don't know which I'd do, but definitley keep the Bad Guys as you have them...  I worry about Kemmler and Crowley though...  The pair together is scary.

Offline Hadeshorn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 05:13:56 PM »
That's a good thought Animar.  I'm leaning towards doing a rough recreation of The Mummy with Brendan Fraser.  It'd be very easy for The Villains to have agents trying to find/steal the Book of the Dead or even the Lock of Anubis from the DF:TV Series. And unleashing some Mummy nonsense could be fun as well.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 07:16:11 PM »
That's a good thought Animar.  I'm leaning towards doing a rough recreation of The Mummy with Brendan Fraser.  It'd be very easy for The Villains to have agents trying to find/steal the Book of the Dead or even the Lock of Anubis from the DF:TV Series. And unleashing some Mummy nonsense could be fun as well.
Definitley.  It works with Kemmler well too.  Getting that final bit of research on the Darkhallow done by adapting a long lost Pharoa's curse and finding the Arke of the Covenant(oops, that's Indiana Jones).