Author Topic: Hob Changeling  (Read 2605 times)

Offline Saisei

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Hob Changeling
« on: January 06, 2013, 11:55:40 PM »
Howdy folks.

Been a bit of a lurker for a while, but first post.

I'm just looking for some advice on building a hob changeling character. I figure the powers he can have are Cloak of Shadows, Glamours, Inhuman Strength, and Inhuman Toughness. But I was also thinking "Myrk" should be one of them, because that's one of the defining things about the hobs in the books (that and no eyeballs... yuch...).

Has anyone played or GMed a Hob Changeling character? Or do people have any advice regarding balance and the use of Myrk? Would it be easy to just put it under the umbrella of Glamours?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Hob Changeling
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 03:31:02 AM »
IIRC, there's a custom power called Aura of Power or something, that automatically applies a an aspect to every scene you're in. It's a [-0] power, with the caveat that you don't get any tags. That would be one way to handle the Myrk. Upgrading it to [-1] for a free tag per scene would probably be a reasonable upgrade.

Everything else looks good. Keep in mind, they likely have the Catch of Light, which may complicate gameplay with other PCs who aren't averse to light. Maybe make it so that their Toughness/Recovery simply doesn't work in bright light, but as changelings they aren't harmed by it.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 05:23:18 AM »
Aura Of Power would indeed work. As would Incite Effect. And if you really wanted to you could probably fold the whole effect into Glamours.

(You can find Incite Effect and Aura Of Power on the list.)

And yeah, the rest looks fine.

Offline Vondrakenhof

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 10:44:41 AM »
I think the Myrk is outlined as a power in Our World. I'm not sure as I only got the books for Christmas and peaked at it because I too want to make a Hob changeling. If I ever find people to play with.
"What's the working theory?

"A gorilla did it."

The sheer idiocy of a statement like that is enough to rupture a blood vessel in a reasonable person's brain.

Offline johntfs

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 12:23:06 PM »
Of course, any such character needs to have some kind of explanation for how he/she was able to be born into the normal world.  I mean, let's really think about this here.  Hobs aren't Sidhe or pixies or elves or trolls.  So, any explanation of a Hob changeling needs to include how Mom or the kid weren't eaten by the Hobs after they raped Mom into becoming pregnant once they dragged her away into the dark.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 12:23:40 PM »
Ninja'd by johntfs.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Saisei

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 12:26:45 PM »
Ah cool, thanks. Yeah Myrk is outlined in Our World I just wasn't sure if should be an NPC/Enemy only ability. I think it basically works like the Aura of Power you mentioned (away from the books at the mo) in that it adds an aspect to the scene.

Also thanks for the advice on the catch Locnil. I was thinking something similar. Possibly have it in character that he can't see properly in daylight. Toying with the idea of his eyes becoming completely useless (falling out? lol) as he taps more into his hob side.

P.S. Posts added while I was typing! Yeah the whole being born situation should be interesting. I was going to go with the mother being dragged off idea, but was waiting to se if any other ideas came up while we do character creation in play. Alternatively maybe have something similar to Grimalkin, where he's a beefier, more intelligent version of the typical specimen.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 12:51:35 PM »
Or maybe mommy dearest was at a REALLY wild party, got REALLY drunk, and slept with the first thing she came across.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 01:57:08 PM »
I was going to go with the mother being dragged off idea, but was waiting to se if any other ideas came up while we do character creation in play. Alternatively maybe have something similar to Grimalkin, where he's a beefier, more intelligent version of the typical specimen.

Some crazy wizard had some captured hobs and was doing experiments on people.  Your mom is a result of said magical experiment...or perhaps she was pregnant with you whilst said experiments were being performed and you too were affected.  Makes for some cool background stuff...Maybe your Dad was the crazy wizard!

Offline johntfs

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 03:33:17 PM »
Just so we're all clear on what we're talking about, this is a Hob:

(click to show/hide)

Take that in for a second.  Then remember that in order to have a "Hob changeling" some human person had to have sex with that thing.  I'm not saying don't do it.  I'm just saying that if you do do it, the changeling should have some really interesting, really unpleasant aspects on his sheet like Daddy's In a Rubber Room.  I Ate My Mommy at Birth.  Something like that.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 03:40:21 PM »
Just so we're all clear on what we're talking about, this is a Hob:

(click to show/hide)

Take that in for a second.  Then remember that in order to have a "Hob changeling" some human person had to have sex with that thing.  I'm not saying don't do it.  I'm just saying that if you do do it, the changeling should have some really interesting, really unpleasant aspects on his sheet like Daddy's In a Rubber Room.  I Ate My Mommy at Birth.  Something like that.

Unless you take my advice above:

It was a wizard experimenting on Hobbs.  Most of the human specimens would die after the experiment.  He grabs your mother off the street - she was probably a homeless person.  Either she was already pregnant, or if you want the wizard to be your dad, you can say he had his way with her before/while the experiment was taking place.  She didn't die, but nothing really happened to her either...or maybe she just got really sick.  Thinking the experiment had failed, he threw her back onto the streets assuming she'd die.  Someone finds her, helps her and your character is born.  The experiment had actually succeeded - but on the fetus and not on the mother.

No actual sex with a hob and yet your character is part hob.

EDIT:  I like the aspect "I ate my mother at birth".  Nice.

Offline Vondrakenhof

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 04:11:04 PM »
A simple way for your character to come into being: the same way Meryl did. Don't the Fae quickly restore numbers through changelings? Even get more prestige from things their offspring do? If regular Hobs don't do this the elder ones might. Maybe even the Eldest Hob.

In gameplay I'd suggest looking at the stunt the Hobs have, it could be useful depending on how you want to play.

As for aspects if I get a chance to play I'll be taking "Angry Bastard" as my trouble. He'll flip out at so much as a mention of his father, because he knows what the Hob did to his mother. Just in case you haven't thought of all yours.
"What's the working theory?

"A gorilla did it."

The sheer idiocy of a statement like that is enough to rupture a blood vessel in a reasonable person's brain.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 09:35:55 PM »
I've read Myrk, but I'm not exactly sure what it's supposed to do. Does it automatically create a taggable Aspect whenever a Hob shows up? Does it let the Hob create that Aspect with a maneuver? Does it do some other thing?

Given how vague it is, I'd discourage players from taking it. I'd rather avoid the trouble of working out how it should work.

Take that in for a second.  Then remember that in order to have a "Hob changeling" some human person had to have sex with that thing.

I guarantee you somebody in the world finds that thing attractive. People are weird.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 12:15:17 AM »
I guarantee you somebody in the world finds that thing attractive. People are weird.

That's pretty much what I thought too.