Author Topic: The Leather Duster time travel theory  (Read 19391 times)

Offline macgregor98

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: The Leather Duster time travel theory
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2012, 09:53:58 PM »
how do you get darker by using power power of light ? i can see hellfire  making harry darker in goash story harryused his soul  use magic and i didn' change the person he is

I would argue that to some extent the intention of the power use matters as much as the source of the power.  The use of soulfire to create a construct that kills, however accidentally, would be a misuse of the power.  On the other hand the use of Hellfire to defend another, without killing, is good.  Simplistic I know, but it illustrates my point. 
You have the rank of

Wizard of the White council

Your total Dresden Files purity rating is 34.1%

All scores:

Supernatural Power:61.4%
Social Skills:15.2%
Armed Combat:3.1%
Unarmed Combat:14%

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2012, 11:04:43 PM »
Ms. Duck,

I think your Model is flawed (as are most models of systems). 

I do believe that everything of a certain bent has a connection.  But I believe that free will throws a curve into the system that you don't take into consideration.  I think that's the wild card in the whole system that isn't supposed to include humans.  Maybe they are the "Users" (to take a term from Tron) of the system?

im not sure where free will woudl enter the question. the constructs themselves- Bob, the Archive, the mantle- have none.

the owner/ host of the construct has some, at least until they give up. I think Mab has been fighting the issue since day 1, and will never give up, just because she's Mab.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline rekshek

• Posty McPostington
  • Apathy is the story of my life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2012, 11:31:46 PM »
I would argue that to some extent the intention of the power use matters as much as the source of the power.  The use of soulfire to create a construct that kills, however accidentally, would be a misuse of the power.  On the other hand the use of Hellfire to defend another, without killing, is good.  Simplistic I know, but it illustrates my point.

This is my point exactly, and it turns the question into will Harry corrupt soulfire or change the winter mantle first?

Offline GrandPanjandrum

• Conversationalist
  • I'm schizophrenic.No you're not.Yes he is. Shutup
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2012, 12:03:47 AM »
I'm sorry, but it seems to me a lot of your theory hinges on subconscious!Harry wearing the duster before the duster makes an appearance. Doesn't the new coat, the one that is definitely not the black leather duster, mean that the future!Harry you say is subconscious!Harry comes from before Cold days?

Hence the phrase that seems to be more important that any other...  "No matter where you go, there you are."  Somewhere in this series (I forget where) there is a conversation between Harry and someone else where it's stated that linear time really doesn't exist, but that's how a mortal's mind perceives time.  It could have been Uriel, or maybe Leanansidhe.  I think it was in Ghost Story.  Einstein would agree since he spent his last few years as a scientist stating that past, present and future all exist simultaneously.  They are a single existence.

In other words... "No matter where you go, there you are."
Disclaimer:  Ate lead paint chips on a regular basis as a child.  Posts reflect degenerative loss of mental acuity.

Offline rekshek

• Posty McPostington
  • Apathy is the story of my life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2012, 12:11:59 AM »
Hence the phrase that seems to be more important that any other...  "No matter where you go, there you are."  Somewhere in this series (I forget where) there is a conversation between Harry and someone else where it's stated that linear time really doesn't exist, but that's how a mortal's mind perceives time.  It could have been Uriel, or maybe Leanansidhe.  I think it was in Ghost Story.  Einstein would agree since he spent his last few years as a scientist stating that past, present and future all exist simultaneously.  They are a single existence.

In other words... "No matter where you go, there you are."

It twas Uriel, page 470 hard cover copy, chapter fifty one.

Offline roteral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2012, 12:24:29 AM »
im not sure where free will woudl enter the question. the constructs themselves- Bob, the Archive, the mantle- have none.

the owner/ host of the construct has some, at least until they give up. I think Mab has been fighting the issue since day 1, and will never give up, just because she's Mab.
I think he's saying that there is a system and humans are the users. The system cannot be used by itself but by including mortals into the equation it can. Beings like Mab and Titania bend people to use the system in the way they want to, but ultimately it is up to the will of the user.
Rest in peace pinky toe. <Scary Voice> You shall be avenged!

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2012, 01:03:46 AM »
I think he's saying that there is a system and humans are the users. The system cannot be used by itself but by including mortals into the equation it can. Beings like Mab and Titania bend people to use the system in the way they want to, but ultimately it is up to the will of the user.

well if one is speaking of the entire series, maybe? im mstill confused the system im talking about is the information system holding the 'mantles'

the only people in it are the queens and the knights, and theres not much of 'people' left in the queens i think.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

Offline Ben de Wal

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2012, 01:15:12 AM »
 i think  that they mean mab is trying to fight the mantel??? ???

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2012, 05:10:27 AM »

quite plasuble. she may have some experience, havign done it for a few thousand years.

you can allways choose to fight. doesnt mean you can win.

wizard nelson

« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2012, 05:27:20 AM »
thats actually the greatest outright WAG i've ever heard... yes i believe she fights the mantle  of cold, calculating, ruthless queen...

Offline roteral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2012, 05:34:34 AM »
Mab could have become queen out of nesscity and not free will so that would explain why she would fight it.

PS: I have been on the forum for maybe a month but I still don't know some of the abbreviations so what does WAG mean?

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2012, 05:44:18 AM »
Mab could have become queen out of nesscity and not free will so that would explain why she would fight it.

PS: I have been on the forum for maybe a month but I still don't know some of the abbreviations so what does WAG mean?

Wild Ass Guess.

Here's a link to the dictionary if you want to know the meanings of some of the other terms we use: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,27282.0.html
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline roteral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2012, 05:56:41 AM »
Thanks

Offline Ben de Wal

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2012, 06:11:17 AM »
thats actually the greatest outright WAG i've ever heard... yes i believe she fights the mantle  of cold, calculating, ruthless queen...
she has shown some compassion if a little and we know mother winter has littel respect for mab  becoming to getting soft and spend time with humans  i'm not say thatmab has control over  the mantel  but maybe she  tries

Offline roteral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2012, 06:20:16 AM »
I believe she does try too but its hard to fight it. And that shows free will