Author Topic: warden morgan routine  (Read 2094 times)

wizard nelson

warden morgan routine
« on: December 24, 2012, 06:13:40 PM »
Recourse:
If you feel that you have been unjustly moderated:
--Do not argue in the topic. 
--PM the Bartender/Moderator and ask for clarification.
--If you disagree with a Bartender's policy interpretation, contact a Moderator. 
--If you disagree with a Moderator's policy interpretation, contact Iago.
--To request to change or clarify policy, start a thread in Site Suggestions.
so here i am. hoping i won't be in trouble simply for being contrary.
i greatly feel sometimes i'm being overmodded for minor things that don't make alot of sense
your ninja skills suck... go reread FM its transmuting the mind that makes it so dispicable to transform others *samuria'd*
this is obviously a joke? unless they are truly ninja how does this insult? granted i probably could have worded it better but the *samurai'd* should have made it clear?
you really need to bone up on you laws...
simple statement, non-aggressive, factually sound. they were misquoting the law an i told them it was incorrec

wizard nelson

Re: warden morgan routine
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 06:16:28 PM »
i'll grant that i made a rather snark jest later in the topic but these two thing were both censored and had a PM just for them... i feel my jest angered the mod and made them take offence anywhere they saw even a fraction of a reason to do so. i am aware of the infamous 'flame wars' that were before my time but look, they are OVER yes? when war ends you don't carry around your assault rifle and bust off rounds at anything looking like a disturbance because its no longer the time or place to do so. am i wrong? possibly i was hit so heavily because there isn't a mod on duty at 3 A.M. and therefore they have to lash out more forcefully when they come on in the morning to keep the 'peace'. but this is like a cop brutalizing someone cause they weren't there to stop the initial crime. feeling a little impuned here.
i hope i won't be punished for creating this thread since its actually suggested in the rules, but if i am it will just prove my point..

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 07:03:49 PM »
It's not suggested in the rules. You're not requesting to change or clarify a policy; you're asking for an exception. Please re-read the rules (points most salient to this issue are bolded):

Forum rules:
By participating on these Boards you agree to conform with the following rules and precepts.

Please, understand that these rules have been generated through need rather than the whim of the Moderators.   We started with no rules, so these have been generated as a direct response to some active necessity.

General Precepts:

Participation in this Forum is a Privilege not a Right.  This privilege is maintained through courtesy and respect to the forum owner, the Moderators and your fellow members.

If a Moderator (including Bartenders) asks you to stop what you are doing, stop.  Stop immediately.

All rules valid for the Forum are in effect for the Chat function.

Member Responsibility:
Members should always strive to practice positive attributes:
--Read carefully and post entertainingly, informatively, and economically.
--Acknowledge other people, assume good will, be quick to praise and slow to criticize, add knowledge, offer help, be slow to anger, apologize when wrong, politely ask for clarification, and exercise patience when your temper flares.
--Welcome new people.  Point newcomers to these rules, links to related conversations.
--Bring your situation to the moderators if you are angry, puzzled, or otherwise uncertain about what to do.

Segmentation of Topics:
--Post items on the appropriate board.

Spoilers:
--Spoilers should only be posted in the designated section.
--Do not post the spoiler directly in the subject line.  (Everyone can see that.)
--Use spoiler tags if you post something not covered in that topics subject line.

Forbidden Discussion Items:
Include, but are not limited to:
Theft of intellectual property
Stalking
Politics
Religion outside of  Book Canon
Personal Attacks
Sex, Sexism
Other Touchy Topics

Promotional Posts:
The ability to make promotional posts is a privilege earned by active forum participation, not a right. If you make promotional posts without participating as a real live human in discussions elsewhere on the board, those posts are subject to deletion. Promo-only user accounts can be considered to be spammers and may be deleted as well.

--Personalized avatars must avoid touchy topics.
--Please keep avatars to a size  not to exceed 150 x 150 pixels.

User names:
--Refrain from user names that include any extended ASCII characters in them (e.g.: Ü,ô,ñ,ƒ,í).
--You may not combine words that would result in a phonetically offensive name.

Support:
Everyone is encouraged to utilize the Site Suggestions and Support board to discuss the rules.

Response:
Any user who violates site or specific forum policy, including those who ignore personal direction given to them by a moderator, will be reprimanded and may be banned according to the following guidelines:
--Immediate bans may be issued without warning in circumstances including but not limited to those involving SPAM, explicitly prohibited activity, excessive harassment, or any behavior deemed malicious.
--A first offense for minor infractions will result in a written warning by moderator either via Private Message, or in the thread where the incident occurred.
--Upon second offense, the user will receive a temporary ban of anywhere from 3-30 days with a brief explanation of the reason behind the ban and the duration of the ban.
--Repeat offenders who continue to violate policy and/or moderator direction, will be permanently banned.
--The Moderators reserve the right to place bans immediately if, in their estimation, it becomes necessary to do so.

Recourse:
If you feel that you have been unjustly moderated:
--Do not argue in the topic.
--PM the Bartender/Moderator and ask for clarification.
--If you disagree with a Bartender's policy interpretation, contact a Moderator.
--If you disagree with a Moderator's policy interpretation, contact Iago.
--To request to change or clarify policy, start a thread in Site Suggestions. 
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

wizard nelson

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 07:05:48 PM »
i am requesting the weapons be put down in favor of some open discussion about this.

a change of the very strict zero tolerance policy
not for an exception for myself but actual change
quite frankly if i was told i'm being permanently banned, but the policy is going to be changed i'd be satisfied with the results.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 01:06:06 PM by wizard nelson »

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
i am requesting the weapons be put down in favor of some open discussion about this.

There's no discussion left. The rules are clear. Please stop arguing.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 07:29:42 PM »
WN, if you're looking for a way to contact Iago, that's through PMs.  He's taking a break this week to spend the holidays with his family, but if you're still feeling unfairly modded after New Year's, feel free to contact him.

We try to keep moderation of members out of the public eye, both for our sakes and the members in question.  While I understand the desire to bring your treatment to the attention of other members, I would note that it was other members who first brought you to our attention.  You've racked up a lot of member complaints in your short time here.

I recommend you take a few days to step back and gain a little perspective on the situation.  Reread some of your posts and try to let go of your emotional reaction to them, and try to understand why others reacted negatively to some of your comments.  Put yourself in their shoes.  Rather than telling yourself, "Well I wouldn't be offended by someone saying X," ask, "Why might X offend or anger someone else?"  Try to empathize, rather than reject their points of view as invalid.

We believe in open discussion, but you need to meet us halfway.  You're asking us to try to understand your perspective.  We're asking you to take the first step by trying to understand ours and the perspectives of those you upset.

It greatly saddens us to restrict any Dresden fan from participating in the forum, because we love sharing our love with as many people as we can.  But we also want to look after the health of the forum.  We've put a lot of work into making this a safe, positive space.  I hope you can find your way to being a part of that.

wizard nelson

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 07:32:38 PM »
thank you Priscellie that was both eloquent and kind.

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 08:43:59 PM »
WN, if it helps clarify, take Ninja Skills out of there...the language of You Suck, when it's not a Chris Moore book, is likely what triggered the moderation. Please note I am guessing on this, as real life started eating my head about 8 months ago and I've been a bit scarce and was not there for the actual incident.

Most boards, minor insults are like punctuation. The powers that be here want it to be basically smack-free, uber polite*...I think** the confusion on the subject is simply a matter of perspective and not seeing the language conflict...assuming you didn't mean any offence by the comment and were just phrasing things comically, basically saying "Your kung fu is not strong enough for this."

*A large chunk of there being zero tolerance is because in the past, certain posters danced the line on purpose to try to sneak in insults without being called on it, or trying to claim "I didn't MEAN to be insulting, I was just being silly" when they were actually trying to be insulting.

**Again, wasn't here for it, so I may be off base.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

wizard nelson

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 01:21:16 PM »
ahh you understanding of kung fu is VERY good master. ;D
the weird thing is is that post was deleted outright instead of *snip*ing out the unrefined joke portion.