Author Topic: The Nevernever as a break-in tool  (Read 6502 times)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The Nevernever as a break-in tool
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 10:30:39 PM »
These are good ideas, yes.  I hope that none of my players think of them!

(I was actually looking for a good justification for things not going their way-- not to do this myself.)

I don't think either of those would actually allow one to ignore the Threshold. Though a powerful enough monster can simply power its way through.

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 10:35:33 PM »
(click to show/hide)
That had nothing to do with him coming from the Nevernever, though. Harry explicitly says that, if their intentions are friendly, they can come in without an invitation. Same as his cleaning service.

It's about intentions, not method of entry.
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 10:40:22 PM »
That had nothing to do with him coming from the Nevernever, though. Harry explicitly says that, if their intentions are friendly, they can come in without an invitation. Same as his cleaning service.

It's about intentions, not method of entry.

Which was precisely my point. People were talking about using a method (the Nevernever) to circumvent Thresholds. I was using that as an example of how method didn't matter, so they couldn't do that.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 10:41:08 PM »
Oh, well... my bad  ;D

Well then, let's create some defenses, shall we?

Ok, wards, first and foremost. A wizard that thinks about it could try and ward his home from the other side as well. Lea did that for Harry, but Edinburgh and Archangel are protected by wizards, not shide. As far as I understand it, they closed up the nevernever around those places and only left one entrance open, easy to defend. But still a pretty straight forward attempt at defending things. I like a more indirect approach.

For example, you could redirect the entrance to your home, instead of reinforcing it. Force your way inside, and the ward will use your strength against you and catapult you out on the other side, back into the nevernever. Or maybe even a whole other place in the nevernever, if the wizard in question is really good at that sort of things.
Or a similar idea, make it a multilevel entrance, so that when you get into the first door, you land in a different patch of the nevernever, from where you can enter the real home. Forcing your way in will still lead you to the wrong place, so you will actually have to disable the wards.

Inside the home itself, you could put down iron on the floor. I think a lot of the shide go barefoot, just because it's their style (and I like the trope), therefore a floor with steel tiles worked into it would work wonders to slow them down.

You can install steel doors with steel handles. If they try to bust through the walls: iron paint. There is magnetic paint out there that you can use to create a magnetic wall anywhere you want. Painting all your walls like that is pricey, but it will be pretty shide proof after that. Though this is a few levels of paranoid, I think. Then again, if someone is being followed, he might have good reason to do so.

That's it for now. If I can think of more things, I'll get back to you ;)
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 03:44:01 AM »
If you knew where the entrances into your home were...like say there was a portal coming out of the fireplace...you could put a binding circle there, so anyone who walks through the door steps into a circle and is trapped there until they bust through the ward.  Put an alarm on it, so if/when whatever gets free it "pings".

I would think that some of the more paranoid wizards - and I count most wardens as paranoid - would explore the various entrances into the Nevernever from their house and take precautions.  Although, this might make it easier to open portals into their house.

Simple alarm wards on doorways would work too.  You could have them on various doorways inside the house.

Old fashionned security techniques: squeaky floors/doors.  These are just simple aspects.

Wards on the Nevernever side.

How about some very high tech equipment in a circle preventing magic from getting in.  Put it near the doorway where the where the wizard is sleeping.  Anyone crossing through breaks the circle allows the magic to hex the Tech and cause it to explode with a loud "pop".  Sounds a bit silly now that I re-read it.

If he knows which room the portal would open to, make the wards prevent things from going INTO the nevernever.  Then turn that room into a prison.  Steel walls, reinforced door.  Anything that walks in through the portal is trapped there and has to get past wards to get back into the Nevernever.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:55:30 AM by Taran »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 05:39:14 AM »
Finding the part of the Nevernever which leads to the house you want would be a challenge in itself, I think.

And even if you know which part of the Nevernever to go to you still need to get there. Not easy, given how dangerous the Nevernever can be.

I don't think you'll have trouble making this hard for your players.

Offline Gozer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 07:13:37 AM »
You could always set up a Ward that bounced the intruders back somewhere specific in the NeverNever... somewhere specifically unpleasant. And underwater.
The options are fairly limitless, for a creative Wizard. And it seems that most of them are.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 10:52:09 PM »
Finding the part of the Nevernever which leads to the house you want would be a challenge in itself, I think.

And even if you know which part of the Nevernever to go to you still need to get there. Not easy, given how dangerous the Nevernever can be.

I don't think you'll have trouble making this hard for your players.

I'm with Sanctaphrax here. Figure they can take an easy cab ride to the target's home and then have a terrifying home invasion vs. a prepared (if sleepy) wizard, or have a terrifying safari through God knows what followed by a relatively easy kidnapping. Terrifying safari should be marginally easier than terrifying home invasion, but then the cab ride should be easier than the kidnapping of the wizard, so maybe it evens out. :)

Offline nick012000

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 07:05:12 AM »
Actually, I'm pretty sure you can use the Nevernever to bypass Thresholds, because that's what Harry does in the climactic battle in Ghost Story.

Of course, if the Threshold you're trying to bypass belongs to anyone with much magical talent or spiritual protection, you can probably expect the local Nevernever to be fortified with static defenses, wards, and goon squads.
Come visit Dark Side of the Moon, the new home to the Nasuverse fandom!

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 12:52:39 PM »
I think he used it to bypass wards, not thresholds.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 05:55:13 PM »
Harry uses passage from the Nevernever to bypass the Wards, and passage through an open portal from the Nevernever to bypass the Threshold.
The open portal served as a 'standing invitation' allowing him entry through the Threshold in a manner similar to the calling spell that had allowed him access previously.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 05:57:01 PM »
ah, I see.  So this wouldn't apply in the case of a bunch of people busting into a wardens house, obviously.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 06:00:26 PM »
If he has an open, unwarded portal sitting in his basement on a regular basis, then it might.  Otherwise...no, sorry, no luck.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 07:25:16 PM »
Harry uses passage from the Nevernever to bypass the Wards, and passage through an open portal from the Nevernever to bypass the Threshold.
The open portal served as a 'standing invitation' allowing him entry through the Threshold in a manner similar to the calling spell that had allowed him access previously.
The portal wasn't the "standing invitation." The standing invitation was when he followed the other shades in the previous day.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 07:57:28 PM »
The portal wasn't the "standing invitation." The standing invitation was when he followed the other shades in the previous day.

Unless you're reasserting your previous position that entering from the nevernever itself is a way of bypassing a threshold, I see no other way to interpret those events.
Slough