Author Topic: Novel versus novelette  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Torvaldr

• Posty McPostington
  • The Morning Ogre
    • View Profile
    • Torvaldr's Leatherworks
Novel versus novelette
« on: December 18, 2012, 07:00:16 PM »
So what are people's thoughts about this? Jim put out a novelette not too long ago, and once upon a time novelettes were in vogue but have since fallen out of favor. I am working on a scene that is most likely going into my novel, but with a little bit of effort the scene could easily be expanded into a short story or possibly a novelette.
Hugs are my second favorite thing in the world. The first involves hugging, but is more vigorous.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Novel versus novelette
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 07:18:03 PM »
Cant really compare much from personal experience, but from what Jim has said of his experience shorts stories and Novelettes tend to take nearly as much time and effort as a full novel does, but with less overall return on it.  If it were me, and I didnt have a particular deadline or publication restriction involved, Id probably say go ahead and shoot for a full length novel.  It doesnt have to be a King/Jordan size brick to still work, and as you say the shorts arent really being consumed as much these days.  However, if what you have in mind fits nicely into a shorter format, I would not recommend adding unnecessary bloat just to try to inflate the page count.

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 07:50:26 PM »
Things that are longer than a short story and shorter than a novel are very hard to sell unless you are already an established author, sfaict.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 08:02:32 PM »
There might be a place for them in the emerging $0.99 self-published markets where readers are more willing to toss a buck your way for something quick, but I havent really done any research on that side of things.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Torvaldr

• Posty McPostington
  • The Morning Ogre
    • View Profile
    • Torvaldr's Leatherworks
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 08:18:02 PM »
This scene will be going into the novel, but makes a good stand alone short story. So it could serve as something I could submit as a short story to gauge interest I guess in the full novel. I just wanted a bit of feedback of what people thought of the novelette idea.

Thanks guys!
Hugs are my second favorite thing in the world. The first involves hugging, but is more vigorous.

Offline Galvatron

• Conversationalist
  • No matter where you go, there you are
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 12:01:01 AM »
In your case, perhaps a it would serve best as a sample/preivew deal.

Just a thought
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side"