Author Topic: I need some help with my Dresden game  (Read 9484 times)

Offline Brodie

• Conversationalist
  • Book-Harry must be jealous of TV-Harry
    • View Profile
I need some help with my Dresden game
« on: June 21, 2007, 12:27:20 AM »
Particularly, musical choices.

I'm running a Dresden game using GURPS for the time being, until the actual Dresden Files RPG comes out. I'm setting it in San Francisco (choice inspired by the proposal of a Dresden Simm elsewhere here), and can't seem to find the right 'opening song' for the game. I like ambiance, and have gotten used to playing music (faintly) in the background when I'm running. I also do my sessions in episodic format, like a tv show - what takes place during one session is one episode.

Does anybody have any suggestions for songs?
Wile E. Coyote, Suuuuuuuper genius!

Offline taralon

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: I need some help with my Dresden game
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 01:39:38 AM »
Listen to some Dragon Force, they are kinda hard rock/fantasy.  My most recent group has gotten to the point that they dread the opening chords to "Storming the Burning Fields" as it means they've just managed to step into something they probably shouldn't have.  You might want to check out their "Once in a Lifetime" or "Valley of the Damned"  for a generic theme type song.  Their music makes a good background to a game I've noticed, as it is relatively fast paced, and people seem to pick up their pace when playing with it in the background. 

Also try and find some Heather Alexander, as she has some nice fantasy themed music.  Stormbringer, King of Elfland's Daughter, and Wanderlust might make good opening tracks. 

Blackmore Night also might be worth checking out.  They've got the whole fantasy/middle ages thing going on. 

For something with a more Urban and edgy sound Tapping the Vein makes IMHO good scene music for something that is taking place in a club etc.

More mainstream, well there is always Evanesence and Loreena Mckennitt. 

It might help if you mentioned what style of music you are looking for.  I've got a rather large collection (missing just Rap/Hip Hop) that I can flip through.

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 02:08:10 AM »
Lena Horn singing Stormy Weather.

Other suggested artists:  Billie Holiday, Lead Belly
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

MatthewD44

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 02:39:15 AM »
I like Blazes suggestions..

Offline Blaze

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 02:48:03 AM »
TY
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline Brodie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 03:15:52 AM »
Thanks. I'll look into those.

Any more suggestions, feel free to toss'em out there.

Offline Blaze

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 03:18:33 AM »
Night on Bald Mountain is a perennial favorite of mine!  Sets a nice spooky mood.

Offline Brodie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
Anybody know of anything similar to the tv show's theme, but longer?

Offline KeyMasterOfGozer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 07:58:52 PM »
This is a bit of an old topic, but I thought I'd throw in a couple of cents.

Something like the sound track to Diablo 2, the Blizzard video game actually has some great music, and even better for your purposes, it is designed to be background music, so it would set a mood in the room rather than be obtrusive.  You could add some more tunes by looking at movie sound tracks for the same reason.  Conan the Barbarian soundtrack might be good. 

I know these are sort of Medieval age oriented, but they still make good background.  Perhaps something like Bourne Ultimatum?  Dunno, I don't know that one.

Well, I guess I am looking stupid right about now, but my main point was, as most of the song mentioned are great, they are written to be heard as opposed to background to set a mood.

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 04:35:35 PM »
Sometimes it depends upon the style of your campaign.

I find that the soundtrack of VanHelsing is somewhat dark, while Pirates of the Caribbean is more flashy and free-wheeling. Harry Potter is flighty while Conan is booming and somber.
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline Brodie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 02:34:02 PM »
Those are some good suggestions, especially the Bourne soundtracks (one of the things I loved about the movies).

I made a little project for myself and made an 'opening credits' - complete with music and pictures - for my group to watch before we start gaming. It definitely gets them in the mood, seeing pictures of San Fran, titles, and pictures of people they would cast as their characters.