Author Topic: Question for authors: Have you written lately?  (Read 9438 times)

Offline RMatthewWare

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The wonderful world of bloggery
Question for authors: Have you written lately?
« on: June 20, 2007, 03:53:16 AM »
So, all you authors out there.  Have you written lately?

My answer, yes.  I have written 10,000 on the novel I started last week.  And so far, I don't think it sucks.

But then, any author would hope not.

Matt
Harry Potter, Harry Dresden, Dresden Dolls?

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
    • Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale
Re: Question for authors: Have you written lately?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 04:32:11 AM »

I write 2000 words a day, rain or shine, sick or well.
But I'm still right here,
    giving blood, keeping faith,
and I'm still right here.

-- Tool, The Patient

Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale

Offline Josh

• Participant
  • Scriptor dementis
    • View Profile
    • Through a glass, darkly
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 01:01:12 PM »
Yup
JRVogt.com
The Fiction Writer's Virtual Toolbox - 150+ links to tools and resources for writers
Follow on Twitter @JRVogt

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 03:07:05 PM »
I write one evening every week except in exceptional circumstances, like being too sick to write or in a different continent, and if I know exceptional circumstances are coming I make up for them in advance. So yep, Wednesday of last week I wrote, and will again tonight; normally I do Fridays but I will have a visitor this weekend.  The target is somewhere between three and five thousand words per session.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline celeber

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Cerulean Siren
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 03:37:40 PM »
I was writing about a 1000 words a day, realized it was crap. Did 2500 on Monday and have focused more on my grammar and understanding of sentence and paragraph structure.
Sad huh?
It is important to me, so I am doing an online class (That is free) and it is helping me a bit.
I want to get to the part about tenses really badly, but I am trying to take it a step at a time.
So doing something about writing daily anyhow.
We must walk consciously only part way toward our goal and then leap in the dark to our success. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://celeber.livejournal.com/

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 05:25:25 PM »
Not only have I not written, I've seriously sucked at logging into Cogni, the writer's board I'm supposed to be running.

Sorry, guys.

Flip side...I've been brainstorming like crazy.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline Kelli

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 08:08:16 PM »
Not ina  few days. I started a new piece, got about 5k words into it and then realized that, looking back over my outline, I didn't know enough about one of my  main plot points and need to research some things further. I haven't had a chance to make it to the university library yet to pick up the necessary psych books.

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 08:26:53 PM »
Unfortunately, no... been doing too much researching for my thesis ... and blogging...  what writing I've been doing *doesn't count*   :(
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 08:41:30 PM »
yes!!  I'm putting the finishing touches on my first book now.  Had to add a fight scene with a demon.  Its pretty good, I was listening to speed metal when I wrote it, so it has very visceral imagery.
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 11:27:40 PM »
Short answer, yes.

Taking an internet class to get feedback as I work a novella into novel. The instructor has asked for 30 pages/week, which I figure is about 9000/wk. I'm struggling to meet that goal AND I started with 30,000 in the hopper and maybe 15 to 20,000 in additional chapter ideas.  Reading and critiquing others work takes a lot of time away from writing, but it has proven to be beneficial.  Always willing to find a "reading/critique" partner, if any interested.

I also started a college course on grammar---wow!  Back when I was learning the traditional response was "Memorize it, that's just the way it is."  Now linguists actually have measurable, understandable reasons for sentence structure. 

Between the two, I'm really improving my craft!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Richelle Mead

• Participant
  • Redhaired and Dangerous
    • View Profile
    • Richelle Mead's Official Website
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 09:10:54 AM »
Oh, geez.  This is me looking uncomfortable.

Um, yeah!  I write every day...like, 500k words a day.  Sometimes 600k if I'm feeling especially diligent...

Ok, no, the truth is, I've sucked at writing lately.  I've been so stressed about my real life that the make-believe one holds little appeal.  And this sucks, of course, because I have deadlines, and when I don't meet deadlines, I don't get checks.  And checks are nice because they buy cute clothes and, you know, groceries.

Sigh.  Yeah.  My writing's sucking lately.  My second YA novel's edits are due Monday, and it's like pulling teeth.  I'm trying to get a few day's extension from my editor, but it's still going to hurt.  I totally applaud all of you who are so good about getting in a certain amount every day.  I'm totally a slave to my muse, and she's a slave to my moods.
FROSTBITE - Available now from Penguin/Razorbill!
STORM BORN - Coming August 08 from Kensington
Visit my site for more info: http://www.richellemead.com

Offline Spectacular Sameth

• Posty McPostington
  • At least 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat.
    • View Profile
    • Dragon City
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 09:57:32 AM »
I only write when something hits me right. I'm trying my YA Urban fantasy, but some parts are sounding too Dresden Files or Harry Potter.

Offline skaoi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 01:36:16 AM »
((hugs & chocolate to richelle))

to answer the question - yep!  i've been writing.  collaborative effort with the cowriter is about six main characters - three are mine, three are hers.  we've got the c.e. on hold at the moment while we each work on 'prequels.'  she's got over 40 chapters and, so far, i have...four.  did i mention i'm editing the c.e. as well?  does that count as writing?  <hopeful grin>

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 07:28:22 AM »
I've been having a bit of a hard time finding the time to write lately.  The wife wants me to help out with a lot of yard projects.  Between that work and some reading time, I haven't been writing as much as I know I should.

By the way... Its been pretty quiet over there at the Congi site.  (cough cough)  I hope some people start droping in to post and comment and such.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline RMatthewWare

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The wonderful world of bloggery
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 10:25:57 AM »
Oh, geez.  This is me looking uncomfortable.

Um, yeah!  I write every day...like, 500k words a day.  Sometimes 600k if I'm feeling especially diligent...

Ok, no, the truth is, I've sucked at writing lately.  I've been so stressed about my real life that the make-believe one holds little appeal.  And this sucks, of course, because I have deadlines, and when I don't meet deadlines, I don't get checks.  And checks are nice because they buy cute clothes and, you know, groceries.

Sigh.  Yeah.  My writing's sucking lately.  My second YA novel's edits are due Monday, and it's like pulling teeth.  I'm trying to get a few day's extension from my editor, but it's still going to hurt.  I totally applaud all of you who are so good about getting in a certain amount every day.  I'm totally a slave to my muse, and she's a slave to my moods.

I have a feeling that writing without a deadline is much easier than writing with one.  Right now, if I don't write, the only person I disappoint is me.  With a deadline, I think it adds an element of pressure and distraction.

Though, having a book deal might be worth the pressure :)

Matt
Harry Potter, Harry Dresden, Dresden Dolls?