Author Topic: The interaction of potions with a Crafting Frequency bonus  (Read 2692 times)

Offline TheRealMe

• Participant
    • View Profile
The interaction of potions with a Crafting Frequency bonus
« on: December 07, 2012, 07:23:01 AM »
I have a question about how enchanted items (or potions) interact with a Crafting Frequency specialization (or focus). 

My wizard, through his Lore and a specialization and focus (lab equipment) has a total of an 8 strength in Crafting.  He has made the following "potion" (ie, one-use enchanted item):

Umbrella of Cloaking (Spirit based):  4 shifts vs perception of potential observers; covers a small group under the umbrella; duration of 3 exchanges.

Now, let us say that he purchaces Refinement and acquires an additional focus or specialization (does it matter which, aside from the need of the specialization pyramid?) for Crafting Frequency of 1.  Does this mean that he has the equivalent of two such umbrellas that each last 3 exchanges?  Or does he have one umbrella that lasts a total of 4 exchanges?  Is the answer different if this is built as a potion versus an enchanted item?

Thanks for any responses.
Your logic is flawless.  But that doesn't mean you're right! - Tedd Good

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: The interaction of potions with a Crafting Frequency bonus
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 07:41:54 AM »
The book proposes to leave the duration rules out of veils and just make them last a scene, which I tend to agree with, if they are caste preemptively. As a block spell during a conflict, that's a different story.

Potions do not benefit from frequency specializations (they do from power specializations, though). One of their key drawbacks is the fact, that they are always "one use"-enchanted items. If he wants to benefit from frequency boni, he should create it as an enchanted item, which in the case of an umbrella seems a better choice altogether. I kind of have a british gentleman wizard in my head right now.

Potions can be adjusted by declaring aspects on the fly, so he could increase the effect of the potion. Also, it can be given to any other person to use. On the other hand, enchanted items can be charged with multiple uses.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 01:41:56 AM »
The book proposes to leave the duration rules out of veils and just make them last a scene, which I tend to agree with, if they are caste preemptively.

Eh, I think veils are powerful enough with limited durations.

Potions do not benefit from frequency specializations (they do from power specializations, though). One of their key drawbacks is the fact, that they are always "one use"-enchanted items.

I'm not so sure about that. The book is vague on that matter, if I recall correctly.

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 06:58:06 AM »
Potions do not benefit from frequency specializations

Potions explicitly do benefit from Frequency, as specified in the text that defines crafting specializations:
Quote from: Your Story pg 280
A frequency specialization allows you one more use per session. A strength specialization increases the effect strength of your basic enchanted items by 1 ... In the case of potions, this can create stronger potions, or ones that you can get two uses out of.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 06:59:37 AM by GryMor »

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 06:04:38 PM »
Another point: Arent potions specifically limited to the individual who drinks it?  Meaning you can't drink a potion and suddenly the entire group is invisible.  The potion would have to have enough uses and you would need enough time for every person to drink it.  A blanket veil effect seems more like a standard enchantment item.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 06:33:27 PM »
"Potions" don't have to be potions, exactly. It's just a generic, catch-all term for an expendable magic item. So a blanket veil potion could simply be a glass sphere that releases a cloud of mist when broken, covering everyone in the zone.

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 06:36:38 PM »
There is also a soft rule for sharing potions (splitting one dose among multiple people, dividing the strength or duration among them) for actual potions. I'll see if I can find the page for that.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 08:43:20 PM »
Potions explicitly do benefit from Frequency, as specified in the text that defines crafting specializations:
Would you look at that. I apologize.

Though I have to say, I don't like it. The one-use against power exchange is, I think, much better. Otherwise, potions become way too powerful way too quickly.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 09:00:39 PM »

Though I have to say, I don't like it. The one-use against power exchange is, I think, much better. Otherwise, potions become way too powerful way too quickly.

They're still barred from the 'additional uses for mental stress' clause of conventional enchanted items, which provides several additional uses, distributable at need among all of a practitioner's (conventional) enchanted items, per scene rather than the per session limits of 'potions'.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 04:32:26 AM »

The book also says
A given potion can only be used once, period
so you've got at least some textual backing for your stance.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 06:12:18 AM »
Yay! Direct contradiction!
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 06:21:14 AM »
One of looking at it is that you make two potions, each of which can be used one.

Another way is an editing error.  They were working on the magic section up until the end - which is why there are so many differences between the release and pre-release magic sections.

Richard

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 06:15:45 PM »
... which in the case of an umbrella seems a better choice altogether. I kind of have a british gentleman wizard in my head right now.

Actually, this is what I envision:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0147.html
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 12:03:56 AM by Taran »

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 11:59:47 AM »
I'm pretty sure the intended result is "Frequency bonuses mean you make a given potion in larger effective 'batches' such that multiple identical potions may be decanted from a given brewing" and "once a given potion is consumed, it does not 'regenerate' in your inventory until you create more of that potion."

Example:  I have a Frequency bonus of +2.  Each time I brew a Potion of Running Super Fast, I get three uses of that potion, either in one big bottle that I may (usefully) drink from three times, or split into three smaller bottles.  If I drink one of the potions during tonight's session, I will only have two left in my bag o' tricks at the beginning of next week's session.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 12:09:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure the intended result is "Frequency bonuses mean you make a given potion in larger effective 'batches' such that multiple identical potions may be decanted from a given brewing" and "once a given potion is consumed, it does not 'regenerate' in your inventory until you create more of that potion."
Add in that potions cannot benefit from additional uses paid for with mental stress as can other enchanted items.

Example:  I have a Frequency bonus of +2.  Each time I brew a Potion of Running Super Fast, I get three uses of that potion, either in one big bottle that I may (usefully) drink from three times, or split into three smaller bottles.  If I drink one of the potions during tonight's session, I will only have two left in my bag o' tricks at the beginning of next week's session.
I'm not, however, terribly fond of this interpretation of the above, given that the character could have an entirely new set of potions in that second session.  I see no reason to penalize a character for having used only a portion of their potion allocation.
Slough